- Last post
- 420 Responses
You're looking towards the future and you're filled with a sense of doom. You're 40th b'day is coming up, but all your mates left town/country or are busy with wife/kids. Your girlfriend isn't satisfied with your earning ability and continues to run you down, saying your future plans are not good enough for her, and making you feel like you could never support her and a baby. You're still renting and landlord doesn't want to renew your contract. Your parents are getting serious miserable life altering illnesses, but you live too far away to properly care or be there for them. Your career is stagnant. Every year, younger, cheaper, and often more talented designers are entering the employment market, and you feel old and exhausted and like you're swimming constantly against the tide. It feels like yesterday that you were in your late 20's, full of ambition and courage and dedication, the future looked bright. Never could you imagine this situation...
- such is life... another coffee shoot and go aheadOBBTKN
- haha, great.
*Adds Shapesalad to FriendsList™detritus
- Shit dude, yeah I get this, similar boat. Amen. Modern day middle class right here. Hang in there. Try and find time to make you .. well you.mugwart
- "your girlfriend isn't satisfied with your earning ability" GET A NEW GIRLFRIEND, FUCK THATlowimpakt
- ^ agreed that. Sounds like you have a lot of negativity in your life. Cut anything rotten out.mugwart
- yup, ameninteliboy
- ^ Seriously. You weren't put on this Earth to be a sugar daddy. She can find a fucking job, and contribute her fair share to the arrangement.Continuity
- Young & cheap is no match for experience. Dirty, generic, dribbble, millennial monkies can get tae fuck!mrAtor
- I can relate to many things you said there man.Bennn
- Pussy Costs Money, Dick Is For Free
- Pussy Costs Money, Dick Is For Free
- this is awesome :D
*orders beer for shapesaladsted
- Thanks Qbners, I appreciate the comments. I don't tend to let things get me down, but occasionally you need to take a step down to step up. Let's go! :-)shapesalad
- Yep, you got enough courage to admit and write this down, don't event think for a second that there is no life for you after 40 :Dsted
- And my gf... I'm cutting her slack as she's been through some horrific experiences over last few years.shapesalad
- However I feel she's looking for a man to 'fix' her life. Keep her safe, secure, provided for. That's ok, but it ain't easy for the modern man.shapesalad
- I thought by the 2000's we'd all be working 3 days a week and having robot assistants. We got Siri and we're doing minimal 8 hour days.shapesalad
- My old man used to do 9 to 5 back in the 60's/70's/80's. Never worked over time or weekend. What happened to that? Progress....shapesalad
- I wouldn't say that this is the result of progress. There are lots of areas on this planet where people still work 8 hours, without overtime or weekends.sted
- it's just cities got more dense and as a result of that you have to be a slave to survive. lose that girl asap, you already got toxic thoughts...sted
- Dump the girl, leave the citysince1979
- I wish I worked only 8 hours!
Would love to move from city but not sure if possiblemugwart
- @shape - we have become slaves to the machine! I'm trying to plan a wayout of it but it seems (UK at least) impossiblemugwart
- @mugwart - EU is still open for brits. Get there asap. Lisbon is good.shapesalad
- I want to, but single father and GF in londonmugwart
- really curious about the nordicsmugwart
- Lisbon = same time zone as london = perfect sunny remote work location. I went myself for 6 months break.shapesalad
- I escaped London for Madrid. Never looked back :)Chimp
- my work your unable to work remote from, security is way to tight ... ;-(mugwart
- Question: Is it better to base your life around you job, or choice a location and base work around that?shapesalad
- your right BUT I split my son between myself and ex wife. Its not so easy.mugwart
- Life is indeed hard... thank god it's beer'o'clock.shapesalad
- lol - enjoy one for me!mugwart
- Where do u see yourself in 2019? Journal it.notype
- "the road to success is always under construction." (not by me, therefore the quotation marks; it's a fact though).SimonFFM
- I'm curious why an ultra-pessimistic post like this gets upvoted so much. Do so many people here relate to it or they just enjoy being depressed?yuekit
- "great"..."amen... lolyuekit
- @yuekit right? my first reaction as well. Surpirsed to see the reponses in the notes too.chukkaphob
- What a dark depressing post! C'mon.chukkaphob
- C'mon guys! Pick yourselves up. Chin up! Life could be a million times worse than the sentiment shared here. WTF!?chukkaphob
- Life's grand!!! Cheer the fuck up!chukkaphob
- ...and for fuck's sake, appreciate what you have!!!chukkaphob
- Consider new career?bezoar
- Read books...very relatable comment. Thanks for putting it out there.Hayoth
- Shapesalad, email me.notype
- yuekit - because it was a good read, earnest and possibly a little tongue in cheek. You're a smart guy - is everything you consume candyfloss?detritus
- its key to acknowledge areas of concern in your like and fix it. Cant all be sweet dreams.mugwart
- aside from the concern aboout parents getting old and sick, the rest of it is all cry-baby entitlement nonsense...chukkaphob
- .... lace up your shoes and crush today and everyday onward! Make better life choices and appreciate what you got! You're healthy and working an exciting field!chukkaphob
- stop feeling sorry for yourself! change what;'s bothering you and making you unhappy -- leave the gf, move, change jobs (and even career!) DO IT!chukkaphob
- Don't you have some basic porn to masturbate to?detritus
- chukkaphob, your advice is usually how I feel about things, hence the 'chin up'. I know I'm pretty lucky overall and no need for a pity party.shapesalad
- @shapesalad my intention is to support you and motivate you (and not to judge u or put u down!) .. and I'm sure you figured as much :Dchukkaphob
- @shapesalad also, I appreciate your courage to open up the way you did and bare it all. That's great!chukkaphob
- hearing other ppls story is what get's me going. read, read, read, read, read, and listen to another's story on hearbreak and love buddy.notype
- listen to other ppl's stories about money & love on dave ramsey's show/podcast... that'll move something.notype
I tried to climb a coconut tree this morning to get a coconut,
after about 10 minutes i was chucking rocks at the coconuts,
I ended up just buying one.
- the kids use drones.BabySnakes
- This is hilarious.garbage
- Dude you got money now! No need to climb.pango
- get a monkeyd_gitale
- He got a monkey but he was old too and did the same thing. Then, he stole his coconut.CyBrainX
Your favorite design-related community has a thread entitled 'Balding'.
Found out who Avicii is after he died.
- haha, me too - and once upon a time i was quite into my music!detritus
- ^ lol, tell be about it - and i've worked in the music industry for a couple of decadesGnash
- I'll admit, I hadn't the slightest clue who he was, either.Continuity
- had never heard of him. RIP.d_gitale
No matter at what time I go to bed. Even if it's like 4 am(not like that happens that often now a day) I wake up at 530... 615 max.
- too much sugar or caffeine in your system prior going to sleep? those wake u up at a routine when they deplete no matter what. i cut sugar & worked for me.helloeatbreathedrive
- sunrise, everyday, no alarm neededformed
- i wish i had this problem :/SteveJobs
- 2:30 each fucking night..go to bed around ten-ishsureshot
- try this..works for most: https://www.youtube.…sureshot
- you mean on days off.HijoDMaite
- Yup same here not quite as early but early enough.Ramanisky2
- Yup. 5am for me.desmo
You flinch every time you read "your" on the title of this thread
i can't sleep past 8AM for the life of me. no matter how late i stay up.
- 6:30 for me here. I can't sleep in at all. Thank heaven for naps.capn_ron
- Last 2 weeks I've been waking at 4.30 and then not being able to get back to sleep because my joints ache and existential dread.Fax_Benson
- hahaha, +1 faxdetritus
- I can't sleep in 'cuz my kids have just knee'd me in the balls....see_thru
- I wish I had this problem.hotroddy
- yea im definitely not that olddrgs
- before 6 for me every day, even when hanging. just started doing 7:30 - 3.30 days. 2 mile walk in, no students or pavement bikers. fucking bliss until 9am.kingsteven
- 7a for menotype
people born in the 90's are almost 30 y-o now
That means we're old AF
- you're old afMaaku
- ^ no, you areGnash
- you're old afBennn
- "As Fuck!" say it damn you lil' cuntface!utopian
- get off my lawn assholesjaylarson
- I'm 35 years youngMaaku
- you're 35 years oldBennn
- Agreed with utopian.Continuity
- 30's are the new teens.shapesalad
- Age is just a number. My girls are now 5-10 years younger than me. Still having fun on Tinder until I settle down.M01XXX
- You're old when millennial's using acronyms, and abbreviations like 'convo' get on your tits...see_thru
- Almost 30!!!! Not yet Ben so calm down!!!!notype
- i heard a grown up woman in the plane in a conversation saying she was born 1994.... I was thinking... fuck... I graduated in 1995. haha.SimonFFM
- ^^ exactlyBennn
- any abv bothers mejaylarson
- @simon... ooph.notype
- i work in a university, every year greeted by the DOBs of new students. 1999 atm. christ.kingsteven
I'm binge-watching Frasier.
- fucking hell...oey
- *bangs on chest
- Does it hold up? I watched an episode a few years back and was horrified at how stupid and slapstick it was. Used to really like it at Uni.detritus
- Chhers was good when we had two channels back in the 80's. Then Frasier...fuck that.oey
- how does such an ugly boring guy get laid so much?oey
- Have you seen his pad?
- Early Frasier is fantastic. Genuinely great writing.Fax_Benson
- ^^ Maybe it’s because he doesn’t own a gun.MrT
- The late stuff when Niles and Daphne are together makes me want to throw up in my own face.Fax_Benson
- Audrey: So, Dr Crane, I don't see why I should fix the dumb dress when my sister can't even fit into it anymore._niko
- Frasier: Audrey, you borrowed the dress, you tore it. As an old Greek haberdasher once said: "Euripedes, Eumenides._niko
- As Fax said, the early series are just gold. Tip-top writing.
Also, the sketch with Niles trying to press his trousers is beautiful physical comedy.Continuity
- applies to all series. Friends best seasons are 2-3-4drgs
- Hmm. Maybe friends is the exception that proves the ruleFax_Benson
- Yes! You made me feel young again ;-)SimonFFM
When you're visiting a forum since 15 years on the web and create a thread called "Signs you're getting old"
thats a sign
when you have to explain to an entire room full of people who beavis and butthead are.
- hehehe coolmugwart
- nightmare :Dsted
- I had to do the same with Ren & Stimpy a couple of years back. I could only sigh.Continuity
- We're that old now?!!? Jesus...that used to be popular culture a couple of years ago.Maaku
- Who are Ren & Stimpy? :-DKrassy
- pull up a clipdoesnotexist
Your year of birth in those dropdown menus is at least 2 screens away. And you keep missing it because the scroll is too fucking quick.
when your kid gives you his old mobile phone
the other day my 2 year old son lifted my shirt while i was laying on the couch and just pointed to my belly saying "ewwwww"
I was having lunch at my Mom's place last week for her birthday.
She asked me if I wanted a beer and I said "sure."
She proceeded to pull out one of her boyfriend's beers from the fridge. It was a Bud Light in an 8oz. can.
I had never seen any beer in such a small size before, and you know what I said?
"Hey, this is the perfect size for lunch!"
WTF is wrong with me?
- Bud Light.MrT
- In Portugal we have 20cl (6.76oz.) beers, allways cool :) https://marketeer.pt…dmay
- that's not beerKrassy
- Beer: cheapest way to legally get drunk since price of Lysol went up. There's a reason in the ethyl distill industry beer is classed as 'unrefined'BustySaintClaire
- Perfect for lunch, because you'd catch the same buzz off of a bottle of water.section_014
I just called Subway corporate to make a complaint about a kid working a store last night. Fuckin little shit.
- Fuk that guy.sea_sea
- fuck that stinky shitholehans_glib
- bet he was a cunt!mugwart
- First time I tried Subway was in Seattle a few years ago. Absolutely fucking rancid. You should complain out of principle purely because of the shite they make.face_melter
- made you a sammich without wearing gloves then rang you up and handled bills & coins with his hands he uses to masturbate w?Krassy
- Face-melter some of us in the States have to endure Subway at least once a month. It’s our duty, it’s the cross we bear.HijoDMaite
- The dick refused to give me a regular cup for water since they had ran out of water cups. I sat there eating my dry sandwich with cottonmouthHijoDMaite
- Man. Trump *and* Subway? I'm thinking that Dante missed a few levels.face_melter
- ^ lolETM
- lol @ facefadein11
- @face Which subway? The franchise is shit in general, but a few locations here are notorious for being uniquely shitty. Rotten food and junkies.garbage
- ps Next time you visit, might I recommend the worst McDonald's in America. Dinner and a show at Crackdonalds: https://www.yelp.com…garbage
I'm going to share a short story here:
I went to a show last night (Tuesday) alone. Summoning the strength to leave the house required significant effort, but I already had a ticket and really wanted to go.
I drove myself to the venue and drank a La Croix on the way there.
I arrived 20 minutes before the headliner started and thought, "Yes! Perfect timing."
I didn't order any drinks at the bar. I'm getting over a cold and wasn't in the mood.
The show ended just before midnight and I was thankful for an "early" ending at a venue where shows regularly end closer to 1am, or later.
I thought about stopping at 7-11 to get a Coke on the way home for a minute, then remembered that Coke has been gross to me after the first 2 sips for around 10 years.
Passed an In-n-Out near my house and thought about going through the drive-thru to get a milkshake, but then remembered that having a milkshake this late at night would destroy me.
Came home, had another La Croix, and went to bed.
- thought this was going to be about bladder control issues ;)monospaced
- I had OMD tickets and almost didn't go because it takes too long to recover after being out so late. I left before they were done to beat the crowd getting out.lemmy_k
- La Croix looks classyshapesalad
- ^^^ it's gross. I'd rather just drink plain water.section_014
- Had to Google La Croix.
- I like this.notype
- Get Up Kids?studderine
- Haha mono, same.garbage
- The missus always has La Croix in the fridge, and sometimes I'll have a sip. Tastes like Shang Tsung has performed a fatality on a 7up.garbage
- Where's the punch line?pango
- Yeah I saw the Get Up Kids at the Casbah, which in itself is probably a sign, right?nocomply
- I almost went but I was out of town!studderine
You read 232 side note comments on a post on QBN
- trying to uninstall RealPlayer... hahaha *criesprophetone
- haha, that was always a bitch ... plowing through directories to get rid of those fucking obscure modulesmonospaced
- nothing about napster or GetRight?ArchitectofFate
- hoho realplayer. Had forgot all about that shitty thing!Calderone2000
- << lolBennn