For a better tomorrow.
shape, you seem to be having an awful lot of difficulty making the distinction between simple carbohydrates, and complex ones, and drawing (harmful) conclusions that 'all carbs are evil'.
So, let me give you a refresher on the basics of carbohydrates that you *should* have learned in primary school health class, at the same time you were learning about the food pyramid.
Complex carbohydrates — so-called because they're formed in long, complex chains — are used by both muscles and the brain for energy. Because of their complexity, they're metabolised more slowly, and any surplus is stored not just in the liver, but also in muscle tissue in the form of glycogen for later use. Compex carbohydrates are essential for powering your body through, well, life, and are found in such nutrition-rich sources as fruits, vegetables, legumes, and grains.
And, yes, that includes wheat.
Further, complex carbs can be further sub-divided into starchy carbs (featuring naturally-occuring sugars) and fibrous carbs (containing soluble and insoluble fibre). Both perform essential tasks in maintaining good health.
Simple carbohydrates are largely refined sugar. The stuff you add to your coffee. That chocolate bar. The HFCS in your can of Coke. Those carbs — by virtue of their refinement — are absolutely devoid of nutrition, and are responsible for massive blood sugar spikes that lead to things like diabetes and obesity.
Telling people to only eat 100 g of carbs per day is utterly irresponsible. If you're doubting starchy and fibrous carbs are any good for you, the hint is in the word that describes carbs themselves: macronutrient. Nutrient. As in: fucking good for you.
If you want to go all-in with new-agey, pseudo-scientific arse-gravy that tells you to stop eating all carbs ever, fine, but that's on you. Keep it to yourfuckingself.
And just so you know ...
I eat 3 010 kcal per day at the moment, with a macronutrient breakdown of:
Protein: 194 g/day
Carbohydrates: 328 g/day
Fat: 97 g/day
I'm 183 cm tall, weight 80 kg, and am at sub-12% BF.
How do I do it?
Well, for one, I exercise. I lift 5 days a week.
For another, I eat a balanced diet that makes sure I account for all of my macronutrient needs throughout the week. That balanced diet contains protein from both food and supplements, starchy and fibrous carbs from grains (including wheat) and nuts, fruits, and veg, and healthy unsaturated fats, as well as animal fats.
And guess what? I'm at the healthiest I've ever been, putting on lean muscle mass, have no problems with my liver or cholesterol, am not even close to being diabetic, and am in excellent cardio health. Not bad for 328 g/day of carbs, amirite?
And another thing you may need reminding about:
1 g of both protein and carbohydrates each contain 4 kcal.
1 g of fat (regardless of source or nature) contains 9 kcal. Over *double* the number of calories are the other two macronutrients.
The point? It's not fucking carbs that will make you fat and diabetic. It's eating a number of calories in enormous surplus of your daily calorie needs that will make you fucking fat and diabetic.
So, shape, if you're going sit there and dispense health 'wisdom' about cutting out essential macros, go with:
1) Reducing overall calorie intake to below your TDEE to reduce fat, if required. Otherwise eat at your TDEE;
2) reducing the amount of fat you intake *first* to ensure you have enough energy through carbs, and enough muscle mass maintenance with protein (0.8 g/kg body weight for the average — mostly sedentary, which I suspect you of being — adult, and between 1.6-2.2 g/kg body weight for active adults who exercise frequently and regularly).
- lol, when I saw you list your macros, I knew you were one of them barbellers. Serious question: how much of the 194 protein is powder?garbage
- TBH, 79 grams. Trying to eat that much protein in a day from whole foods is mission impossible, because it would throw both my macros and overall calorie intakeContinuity
- ... through the roof.Continuity
- Seriously. I don't believe anybody that claims they hit those macros without powder.garbage
- I'm only bodyweight / free weights these days. When I used to lift I was on a ridiculous powder / supplement routine and.. my toilet hated my guts. Literally.garbage
- 100g = potatoes, whole grain rice, etc. but I stand corrected anyway, and thank you for an informative post.shapesalad
- @cont Forgot to ask: Do you have a single bucket of powder that you recommend? The top of my fridge has a lonely spot.garbage
- I use this stuff:
- The flavours are actually palatable, and it doesn't have that off-putting funky smell whey protein often hasContinuity
- The only way to live without carbs is if you're sitting on your ass all day.
Carbs are the best fuel.palimpsest
- Cheers, I'll look into it. I might just start eating more meat and get back on the Animal Pak.garbage
- Something about swallowing 8 pills in the morning makes one think "welp, better make this worth it".garbage
What pills are you swallowing?palimpsest
- Continuity, do you do cardio?drgs
- Nah, no *intentional* cardio right now, cos I'm bulking. That said, I walk almost everywhere, and I'm not really all that idle.Continuity
- People from Ray Peat camp love carbs, btw
- ^ get the non-flavoured ones, mix faba bean, pea and whey proteins ones with wheat grass and spirulina = perfect protein powder.shapesalad
- @pamp https://www.amazon.c…garbage
- ^ MIA there is creatine monohydrate. Besides protein, it's a must-have.Continuity
- Creatine farts.. now there's a smell I've not smelt in a long time.garbage
- creatine makes you bald.zardoz
- I feel bad for this ladyYakuZoku
- Yeah she’s definitely either on something or going through something_niko
- The end of the video she says she just got diagnosed with pancreatic cancer that dayYakuZoku
- Wake Up...utopian
- Somehow i don't believe she got diagnosed with cancermilfhunter
- 66 percent of all adults in the United States — use prescription drugs.pinkfloyd
- How could big pharma give you something that’s bad for you?Chimp
- Off label?pinkfloyd
- I would tho..hydro74
- Sarah Palin?utopian
- ^watch it, buddy!sarahfailin
- nahh it's sarah failinpango
- Hey you guys...,,dee-dubs
- It's her all rightYakuZoku
- Damn speech to textYakuZoku
- @Sarahfalin, use this image as your avatar.utopian
- Sloth Facts: He had two Super Bowl rings and overdosed in his late 30s.garbage
- Hepburn Facts: I guess she was in some old movies? I dunno.garbage
- Rocky... Road?err
Elon Musk is speaking out against and continuously cries government subsidies.
Here's a list of the billions of dollars his businesses have received.
1. SpaceX lands a $2.89 billion contract with NASA in April 2021
2. SpaceX signs a $653 million contract with the US Air Force in 2020
3. Tesla accepts "certain payroll benefits" from the federal government's $600 billion 2020 pandemic stimulus
4. New York State put $750 million toward a SolarCity plant in Buffalo in 2016
5. SolarCity receives $497.5 million in grants, in addition to tax credits, by 2015
6. As of 2015, Tesla had sold $517 million in environmental credits to competitors per a federal mandate. Tax credits for consumers also helped them sell more cars.
7. Nevada provides $1.3 billion in tax breaks and other incentives for a new Tesla "Gigafactory" in 2014
8. SpaceX receives $15 million from the state of Texas in 2014
9. The Energy Department loans Tesla $465 million in 2010
- After we've established UKR army pays subscriptions and the US army paid him $60M for the servicegrafician
- Elon Musk is speaking out against government subsidies. Here's a list of the billions of dollars his businesses have received. https://www.business…utopian
- He acomplished so so much with public moneyz...grafician
- Is this real? He's turned into a whining punk with far, far too much power and horrible ideas for a political/world stage.formed
- ^ How is this whining?MondoMorphic
- Yes reall: https://twitter.com/…grafician
- eh, tax write off? oh shit, he doesn't pay taxes? Send him Trumps panties to sniff, problem solved!hydro74
Ragebait. It’s in all my feeds and takes a conscious effort to recognize and remove it when i see it. It’s turning myself and friends into polarized, self-righteous arseholes over shit that’s barely even real, if at all. I’m meeting more and more folks who have let it become their entire identity... whole personalities based on “i don’t like that” and “i’m better than them”.
- So frustrating isn't it? Some of my friends are just downright nasty, fuelled by vitriol. Had to step back a lot, probably since the pandemic.Ianbolton
- i am a simple man, i want an eggkingsteven
- Eggs are nice. Soft-boiled. Fried. Poached. All good.Continuity
- My first comment missed the point by a mile. Reading the message stoned didn’t help. But boy, do I like it eggsIanbolton
Humanity evolved from other species.CyBrainX
- I'm MTG believes humans were around the same time as dinosaurs 6000 years ago. Explaining evolution to her might be problematicPhanLo
- If she's in the sentence, it's problematic.CyBrainX
- They retouched the hell out of her avatar lol. You can't even see her nose.pinkfloyd
- So extremely awesome on so many level. The video quality, camera work for that era. The crowd of surf dudes. And of course the greatest rock musician ever.CyBrainX
- it's a great performance!kaiyohtee
- Imagine if Hendrix was still alive when Queen came around and the potential collaborations...kaiyohtee
- Hendrix was trying to organize a collaboration with Paul McCartney and Miles Davis in 1970.CyBrainX
- Ive watched this so many times. Hendrix is my fav all-time musician.desmo