For a better tomorrow.
- <punches for smug cunthans_glib
- ^ agree, I find myself being both the smug cunt and the over prepared hiker simultaneously...whatthefunk
- maybe the guy is training for a much larger hike Jack. You ever think about that? Cunt.capn_ron
- Maybe he has bad knees too. Fucking jack, you Cunt.capn_ron
- IamJackBoot, does he not know who he is? does he need a reminder?dorf
- Jack needs to calm his titsKrassy
- I hike a lot, and most trails intersect with one and other. So, that guy could have been doing 20 miles, while Jack did 1 mile.section_014
best advice I could ever give new parents of a newborn would be 'shifts'.
too often, it's the middle of the night, and you hear the crying and you know it's time to either feed, change or something...
same thing always happens..you're dead fucking tired, and it's *poke, -your turn-... ahhh...no did it last time, it's your turn..etc....
we tried that for a week or 3 and realized it was NOT working for us at all.
thus, Shift work. it fucking worked.
from the moment I got home from work (say, 5:30 or so) til I went to sleep (say 1-2am) i was on-duty. feeding, changing, rocking, playing whatever...it was all on me. so far so good.
at 1-2 or whatever, I'd put our baby in her crib asleep, and crawl into bed. from that point on, my wife was on duty. so I could get a decent nights sleep and get to work in the morning.
this all worked for a variety of reasons. one, I'm a night-owl anyhow...so it was not hardship to stay up til 1am or 1:30 or whatever... 2, it was great that our baby from practically day 1, was 100% used to both of us... none of this 'only wanting one parent, and crying whenever we passed her back and forth etc'
3) and probably most important.... it gave my wife the time she needed to get sleep herself, to go out, to run errands, go to the gym...just GTFO ya dig?... if she's home with the baby all day, she's gonna need to get the hell outa the house for a bit and unwind herself...
plus, she was and is a natural early riser...so goes to sleep pretty early as well.... so she was able to get a ton of sleep herself... say, from 9:30-10 til 2am or whatever...uninterupted...(usual... must longer, as when i put the baby down at 2-ish, she'd sleep for atleast a few hours before waking up...
anyhow, it sure as fuck beats 'who's fucking turn is it' games at 3 or 4 am....
shift work. it fucking works folks :)
- This is the realisation I've come to, but we've got a small flat and despite being a night owl, I'm a poor sleeper, easily roused, and need to be up daytime :\Nairn
- and on top of this, it's good to remember that the 'round the clock care only lasts for a couple of months, and it does get better!monospaced
- Eventually the kids go to bed around 8:30 and sleep until the ass-crack of dawn, and you can have (almost) all the sleep you need again.monospaced
- I was the late shift :)tank02
- Yeah shift work definitely works.microkorg
- through the night i was every shift - knackering. plus doing a full days work #mugtrooperbill
- RIP, Michael... RIPPonyBoy
- Robert SmithKrassy
- Prince or David Bowie.Maaku
- @Krassy, Nailed it! Boys Don't Cry!rattail
- Hello darkness, my old friendutopian
- @rattail :DKrassy
- @Maaku this is not how this game is played, bro ;-)Krassy
- Bob Marleymonospaced
- In that case, it's Ross from Friends, in that 80s throw back episodeMaaku
- The chick from Blade Runner...with a guitardee-dubs
- its Rick James, you uncultured fools!Al_dizzle
- Bruno Mars. Duh.Krassy
- Sean Young
@dee-dubs fuck you :Dsted
The first video ever posted on Youtube, 14 years ago today. 66M views now.
- legend! "that's pretty much all there is to say"renderedred
- 66M views for the first ever video posted 14 years ago is not that impressive. Considering how much crap gets 500M-1B views in short amount of time these days.NBQ00
- A man of so many words.utopian
- Off what an amateur, he’d didn’t even start with ‘sup guys or hey everybody! And didn’t end it with make sure you subscribe. What a loser!_niko
Visiting Madrid next month (alone)
What’s to do?
Which QBNers can I say hello to?
Art to see? Places to run? Trails/Hills to climb?
Non drinking activities abound.
- No drinking?... head to NorwayOBBTKN
- I don’t drink.notype
- j/k... Not a fan of present mad. Changed a lot, for bad, the last years.
I think there are some qbners that have lived in Madrid.OBBTKN
- If u like junking there is antique area there pretty cool. Also, travel light, dirt cheap clothes and shoes! And it gets hot afrobotron3k
- Tour the Bernabeu stadium where Real Madrid playstoplying
- Go watch some flamenco here (2 blocks away from plaza mayor) http://www.lataberna…maquito
- Hey I’m in MadridChimp
- There is an awesom cable car that goes out over massive park.Chimp
- thanks you guys, I'll be there 4/13, no car needed right? QBNers I may hit you up while I'm there :)notype
- I don't know anyone there, and I actually hate traveling alonenotype
- which is why i haven't had a vacation in so long.notype
- It's for a role. About Schmitt 2: the re-fattening.sarahfailin
- looks like me in the futurepockets
- no more chilly for you mister.ApeRobot
- At least he's not spilling it from his TupperwareIanbolton
- becoming Marlon BrandoBustySaintClaire
- Does he just get a peasant burger like us, or are burger and fries made special for him?Akagiyama
- All food and no play makes Jack a fat boyEighty
Number one advice i would ever give to a new dad is to be patient / cool with letting go of / sacrificing your personal desires for a while.
I was not prepared for the amount of attention and selflessness it would require. Sacrificing 'me' time, sleep, emotional states, thought processes, ability to concentrate, time for work, etc etc etc. It was all out the window for quite some time and I found it very hard at first to not get kinda irritated at it all.
I eventually discovered that it was being amplified heavily by a lack of sleep and that as long as I was getting a good amount of sleep no matter where i could get it (slept on the kitchen floor a few times) i usually felt more chill and better prepared to roll with the punches.
I never realized what a total shift in perception would be required. Like everything goes out the window and you're starting fresh, re-evaluating **everything** from the point of view of your new role as a father.
- Sage advice. I find getting some exercise helps too.mandomafioso
- What about becoming a step dad? Recently met someone and her child is really difficult. Glad you’re seeing some positives going forward thoughIanbolton
- sleep yes its all about that early on. my 3yr old finally sleeps through and i am able to feel and do normal things againtrooperbill
- << That was my experience as well.kirshar12
- All of this.monospaced
- My first advice is: Adapt, improvise, overcome. Welcome to your new life. ;)ApeRobot
I was not prepared to make the sacrifice and nearly cratered my marriage. Thankfully, I pulled my head out of my arse.ronburgundy
- I left my partner and kid abroad, coming back for work. Had hoped I could get some sleep in - last two nights have managed same 3 hour increments :(Nairn
- crazy how that happens, huh? can't even sleep when you shouldmonospaced
Anyone know this rapper?
- New Disney Club presenter?PhanLo
- Takashi 69moldero
- Hyundai $1.99PonyBoy
- Lil Pumpy Xan PupKrassy
- Ransom Dopewhatthefunk
- Probably a nice guy... with a gun....ApeRobot
- His name is Peter $@u$@g3$pedromendez
- another kid brought up by infrequent attention and inadequate parents who never should of had kids. There is multiple people to blame in this picture.pockets
- shouldn't **pockets
- Probably an important scientist, or a lawyer fighting for kids rights, could also be a philosopher or a psychologist. he looks like he's changing the world.Bennn
- That be Dollar Fuck Knucklesab
- Dollar Sightfeel
- Lil'2 NobrainsMorning_star
- Travis Barkerfooler
- LOL!!! @ PonyBoybilly_juan_the_taco_killa
when you're being baffled by people and events in the world in general, while asking yourself how this is acceptable
- ...when you are trying to accept things that weren't the norm 10 years ago.pockets
- ...when you were ecstatic and ignorant.pockets
- ...when you accepted things without question or feeling.pockets
- ...more bitter then monospacedpockets
- should i say less thenpockets
- leave me out of your nonsensemonospaced
wtf? how did I miss this film?
- This looks amazing. t's on Amazon Prime. I'm looking forward to getting time to watch it.lemmy_k
- oh thanks lemmy! yes!HijoDMaite
- wow. chick of the decade. this is what instagram bimbos should be aspiring towards not thinking they've accomplished something by posting pic of their breakfast_niko
- this is the kind of shit only bored white people doMilan
- WILD 2Bennn
- The revengeBennn
- seriously, looks good, I want to see itBennn
- Had to walk home from work once. It felt just like this.robthelad
- F'n Kylo Ren.BK