For a better tomorrow.
Old web developer yells at cloud moment here...
Very nearly got stung by Google Maps API charges on a festival site I run. Would have been >$1k if I din't catch it and replace the API generated maps with standard iframe embeds (which took about an hour of my time)...
I don't expect service for free but this whole $200 free credit p/m totally excludes me from doing anything creative with maps in a web design setting. Everything these days is priced like "use our paid app startup to create your own paid app startup" and it's like a fucking pyramid scam for creative stagnation...
Going to clients like "oh, for this feature you'll have to pay 1 cent per pageview per API call if you get over 20,000 views in a month." just doesn't work for anything outside the paid app use case. For festival sites which have incredibly high traffic in one month and dead for the rest of the year i'm constantly getting the raw end... Same goes for hosting, I put all my festival sites on my ancient MT grid account because it's fixed price, can deal with the spikes and works out cheaper over a year than AWS would in the week of launch.
- Fuck Google.
Go Openstreetmap - heck, you can even download an SVG from them and roll your own.Nairn
- we started using static images and a simple js what pulls the map if the visitor actually needs it.sted
- we have 135 venues this year and we had geocoding/ multiple locations on maps before we switched to the iframe embeds... considered openstreetmap but would havekingsteven
- to add half the venues to their db to get it to work + doesn't quite have the coverage in rural ireland i needed / the creative possibilities google maps has.kingsteven
- it's just a pity that google have chosen a spotifyesque BS pricing structure which makes it impossible to give a flat fee for running a website.kingsteven
- the reason a lot of these clients stick with me is because they have other shit to worry about and i make it simple.kingsteven
- i'd love to say it's classic bait and hook, but google maps must cost a shitload to run in server time alone. then again i never forgave them for changing mapshans_glib
- And google wonders why devs are leaving their environment. They do this shit all the time.section_014
- Wonder how much Uber or Lyft or other location based apps pay google to use those fucking maps api or something :))grafician
- yeah not quite bait and hook, not quite total monopolisation but $1k for 200,000 requests in 1 month vs $0 for the same over 5 months is not fair pricingkingsteven
- for professional use outside the paid / ad funded app use case.kingsteven
- If you can find or build a cheaper solution you should go for it, and share!zarkonite
- Screen record your google maps zooming into the locations. Upload to YouTube. Embed videos where map would be required. Google now pays you.shapesalad
- Fuck Google.
The client who's been stringing me along about an overdue invoice and who i now realise is probably never going to pay.
Me, for not getting more details from her - I only have a business address that I realise now is probably defunct and not affiliated with her current location, so I've got no means of physically tracking her down.
I re-watched the movie Titanic yesterday for the first time in many years. That movie is 22 years old and man, it's so well done! It haven't aged a bit, could have been released this year as is. I still wonder how they achieved some of the scenes. And special mention for Kate Winslet, so beautiful.
- the french girl :Ppango
- I’ve yet to watch itGnash
- Never watched, never will. There are some movies that no grown up should seriously watch...grafician
- This is very well done, you should watch it.Bennn
- Agree with you Bennn, I'm always met with laughter when I recommend it, but it is a much superior film than people who haven't seen it imagine. It's a classic.spl33nidoru
- My heart will go onNBQ00
- exactly spl33nidrou, i know its a mega blockbuster movie, but its well done. I prefer this than many super heroes movies and such.Bennn
- Seriously, few films mix so flawlessly romance, drama, action, pace and style with impeccable direction and technical achievements, especially consideringspl33nidoru
- the insane pressure James Cameron was working under, as the majority of the industry was convinced the film was going to historically bomb. Not quite!spl33nidoru
- Bored AF as a teenager and it’s just as stupid today. Sorry Bennn but it’s really only good if you’re a 13 year old virgin girl.monospaced
- I never felt that their relationship was believable or convincing or even based in any reality. It was simply hard to care about them.monospaced
- Oh they have a snarky conversation and he draws a picture. True love!monospaced
- There's 2 thing in this movie, the love story AND all the historical details and the sinking of Titanic. You can appreciate one or the toher or bothBennn
- You can watch this movie starting when they hit the iceberg and i'm sure you'll like it. Its VERY well done.Bennn
- Agreed. Well done. The Celine Dion soundtrack is cheesy, ignore that.jagara
- "Don't ever leave me Jack."Ianbolton
- "Bye Jack"Ianbolton
- People bought it, too.lemmy_k
- Sold out https://shop.goop.co…NBQ00
- fuck, this is real! i thought it's a joke LOLrenderedred
- This is goddamn hilarious.zarkonite
- Shut up and take my moneydrgs
- Sold outi_was
- Setting the Daily Mail comments section on fiyaaaaahhhhh!PhanLo
- take my money!pango
- drgs, how many did you purchase? are you hoarding them? where?utopian
- Wouldn't it be offensive: This smells like my dick candle?zaq
- yes it would. Don't do what you're about to do.pango
- she went full retard long time ago, or maybe full capitalist retard. oh well, I guess she is #winning lolhelloeatbreathedrive
- I live near a fish quay, I'm good.robthelad
- Don't most pussies smell lightly like ham?NBQ00
- Only if they're free range.deadsperm
- Did a perfume designer smell her cunt and tried to recreate it? How does it work?drgs
- I don't know but I'm sure you can smell her personality.deadsperm
- does it smell like a recently washed one or one that's been marinating for a week?Milan
- so many questions LOLrenderedred
- Almost as good as the ‘Tom Cruise penis cheese aroma diffuser’shapesalad
made some music last night.. first time in months.
sadly, im back at work again today after the break..
- New year, new projects mate :-)Ianbolton
- yeah, didn't even make techno..autoflavour
- been spending a bit of time doing some maintenance lately.. a few things needed some attending to after some hardware departures.autoflavour
- You do have a shit ton of hardware though? So stripping back a bit should be nice yeah?Ianbolton