For a better tomorrow.
What should an absolute beginner purchase as their first acoustic guitar? Besides going to the guitar store and picking almost randomly, I'm not sure where to start. Any help appreciated.
- I have a beautiful classical Yamaha C-40, nylon string, you can pick up cheap used, nice in your hands and great size to sit on the sofa and jam.robotron3k
- Yamaha, Ibanez, and Epiphone (surprisingly) make good entry level acoustics.section_014
- acoustic guitars have a whole host of negative aesthetic traits but nothing says "i'm that cunt" better than a cutaway.kingsteven
- i'd say robotron is spot on with the nylon strung classical, they are a blast to play. try out a bunch though as neck profile and scale length vary quite a bit.kingsteven
- and body size/ materials do really affect the sound. i got a steel strung 'ooo' size last year which has a tiny body and only 12 usable frets...kingsteven
- but the nut is wide like on a classical guitar... so fits my hands perfectly and sounds so much nicer than any 'dreadnought' acoustic i've used for recording.kingsteven
- Recording King ROS-616 btw.
Don't make that model any more but recording king are great for the price for steel-strung.kingsteven
- The guitar that feels most comfortable and is in your price range is the best one if you're just starting out. Buy based on comfort to start.nocomply
- very fast and comfy neck, nicely built and fun to play.
- Wow thanks. I’m not familiar with most of the terminology yet but it sounds like I should go to the store and try some out. Willing to spend up to $400 I supposmonospaced
- ^^^ disagree heavily on the classical suggestion. Spend $200 max on a steel string acoustic.section_014
- Get electric so you can put on headphone and not wake the baby up?pango
- I ended up with a Yamaha acoustic. No electric. Just something with a solid top and good sound. Not expensive at all.monospaced
- Steel 6-string. Very comfortable and it’s basically the best selling guitar for noobs. I like it and it was only $200 so not a major commitment. Sounds good.monospaced
- Should have gone with this one
- Dude. Get an Epiphone EL-00 Pro. They're the best guitar for the value on planet earth. Read the reviews. They rival £3k gibsons in sound. Almost.set
- Plus they look fuckin' sexy and the build quality is excellent. They have a solid top so the sound will just get better and better over the yearsset
- hmm soz I should read notes first. Too late. Next time! I have one which I've removed the pickguard and replaced the plastic bits with bone and...set
- it's one of the nicest guitars I've ever played, and I own guitars ten times the price :)set
- I have the limited edition all mahogany one, it's a beaut - https://www.rockin.c…set
- Based on the Gibson L-00 and really isn't that much worse for less than 10% of the priceset
- Cool thanks set! Maybe when I upgrade! This $200 Yamaha I have had a solid top. Experts agree it sounds good too :)monospaced
- Nice one. Best of luck with it! You might have stumbled across him already but YouTube Marty Schwartzset
- The epiphone is acoustic electric. When I am ready for that I no doubt will consider it. I agree it’s MUCH better looking than what I have, and the price is lowmonospaced
- One week into playing guitar and I’ve basically committing 3-4 chords to muscle memory and am able to play and sing a couple of songs. I feel so accomplished!monospaced
- Pretty good. I didn't learn a proper chord for about a year lol. I was taught by an old school rock guy who only taught me power chords hah. Backwardsset
- Electric first. Not recommended.set
- what'd you end up getting?notype
Anyone got any advice recommendations for those twatty vapour things? I've been smoking 5-15 cigarettes a day for 20 years and really need to kill that shit off!!
I smoke Marlboro Gold/Lights. Have not idea about what strength and how much I should spend. Good brands etc. Is there a no flavour no smoke kind? Also don't one of those things that look like a massive golf trophy.
- I just got a cheap one and used some gum as well. It worked. Depends if you want to get into the whole Vape culture which I didn't, at all.fadein11
- Lasted ages, refills v.cheap compared to cigs. Worked for me.fadein11
- I also smoked Marlboro similar amount.fadein11
- I've recently moved on to rolly baccy. I hate it, but it means I can use 1/4's worth of tobacco to have two quick hits of strong nicotine, before I hoy itdetritus
- I only ever want a couple of drags to get a quick nicotine hit and unless I'm out on the booze, I don't much smoke cigs otherwise so perhaps my input is uselessdetritus
- just quit. full spot.
smoker for 30+ years.
tried Vaping, didn't work and fucked my throat up.Bluejam
- 'full stop'.
did the NHS route and has worked.
still smoke weed via one hit pipeBluejam
- like fade says, if you're doing it as a stepping stone to quitting, just get something cheap and only view it as temporary necessityFax_Benson
- I know people who've spent shit loads on machines that look like laptops and spend hours in stores getting their mixes or whatever they areFax_Benson
- and they still smoke cigs once they've had a few drinks. Just a secondary expensive habit.Fax_Benson
- Go to a shop and get a simple prefab rig that you won’t mind holding. Have them show you how to use it. Start with 6mg strength and get a tobacco based flavor.monospaced
- I'm not proud about this, but started smoking ganja with less and less tobacco. after a year or so that need for a cig was gone.sted
- Do not smoke another cigarette again. You have to be ready to be done for this to work. You can do it! I’ve been there before.monospaced
- Thanks, fucker - now I quite fancy a cig.detritus
- Thanks guys. A mix of suggestions there. Obviously I've tried the whole cold stopping before so just really need to try the vaping. Appreciate it's not ideal.Hayzilla
- What Bluejam said. Just quit! I smoked for nearly 30 yrs and just stopped fullstop. I used nicogum for a while when drinking as thats when i used to crave most.microkorg
- Id tried to many times but never had the incentive. My final incentive was i met a non smoking girl that I wanted as my wife so stopped for her and myself toomicrokorg
- Vaping wont help you stop, it's another expensive habit you are switching to. Just cold stop, stash the cash and buy yourself somehing nice in 6 monthsmicrokorg
- if you are going to Vape, i'd also recommend Vype (what Fadein11 posted) but go for the eBox - https://www.govype.c…Bluejam
- Cheers Fadein. I fucking hate the things but need to kick this tobacco habit.Hayzilla
- I also used gum, prob more effective than vaping. vaping isn't anything like smoking in reality. get a uch better nicotine hit from the gum (well I did)... butfadein11
- as people said the addiction just moves onto another form, but at least not anywhere near bad for you (if at all).fadein11
- typed super fast so excuse my appalling english.fadein11
- A chum's quitting (again) and said recently that the way he's approaching it this time is thinking that the next cig he smokes will be the one that kills him.detritus
- My vape is doucheie enough I wear the white sunglasses and pop that collar. OWN IT! (run at 69watts bud, oh ya)eryx
- Seriously I love vaping, I have been doing it for a few years. A lot of people in my line of work use them because they can't smoke on different sites because..eryx
- of flammable gasses. It is better for you then those dirty old darts.eryx
- They are going to try and start you with 12mg of Nicotine, it is too much and tastes like shit. I use a 3mg and 6mg is enough for sure.eryx
- Thanks eryxHayzilla
- A couple of mates are launching a new vape this summer, I don’t do it so couldn’t comment but it does look interesting. https://www.vapeayr.…MrT
Yesterday 4.6 out of Cabazon CA.
Woke me up with a jolt, but nothing was moving. It was a weird one.
- ya it woke me up as well, i thought i was tripping out because none of the dogs were barking, and i checked the USGS and no show of it util a bit later.BabySnakes
- I always check a hanging lamp in my room but it wasn't moving. lol I was confused.sea_sea
- Me too. I had to check google to see if it was a dream.DRIFTMONKEY
- Lol sea_sea, I do the same thing and noticed nothing as well...keewee
- I heard the quake was deep down in the earth that's why so many people felt it. When it's shallow, it's more or a centralized shake.sea_sea
- This happened the second I kissed my wife goodbye in bed. True story.HijoDMaite
- magic* gifsea_sea
Sad fact of the day: I'm working so often in PowerPoint that I've got used to it. I think I've used it more frequently than illustrator during the last 3 or 4 months.
- I feel your sadness. Been dicking around with the same ppt for 3 weeks as the client destroys each draft. PPT is the worst for meddling clients.Fax_Benson
- Once you turn off snapping, it is less painful. Google it if you haven’t. It’s not a simple thing either.monospaced
- Have you guys created any Google slides master templates? Client is interested in a full proof solution engineers can't screw up.Hayoth
- shit. i won't go anywhere near that fucking app. utterly hateful.hans_glib
- I just build it all in photoshop and bring in jpgs .. fuck powerpointautoflavour
- Hayoth, yes I have and it’s not too bad. It’s less featured than ppt though. Getting a color palette in is a nightmarw of epic proportions. Easy to fuck up.monospaced
- A robots dickjmckinno
- Im so glad i gave up smoking JUST before vaping kicked in otherwise I fear i'd be doing this too. Vapers make me laugh.microkorg
- cock always makes the cover of qbnpinkfloyd
- haters gonna hate.dibec
- looks like i don't need to attach to hayzilla's post now that it's on the front page!jaylarson
my family was so poor when i was young that we were giving our first and only vcr by the church janitor. it came with indiana jones and the temple of doom and a blank vhs tape which i recorded the karate kid with. i wore THAT tape out watching it over and over and over.
haven't seen the movie in several years but I could probably still quote it.
- Mate - you gonna love this show... It gonna take you WAY backnylon
- I neglected to mention that the vcr record feature broke somehow after I recorded the karate kid which was how this became my go-to movie hahaSteveJobs
- And now you are the creator of iphone. You made it big, mandocpoz
- Cool story, Bro. No, really! Reminded me how magical VCRs and a limited selection of tapes was back in the old days! :)detritus
- your the best aroundtrooperbill
- SimCity is so real now.i_monk
- fuck. Imagine waking up and this magma-filled crater had opened up under your house?Ianbolton
- SO COOLnudes
- 45 minutes from where I grew up.Akagiyama
- SO HOTLMFAO
- Isn’t everything 45 away?ArmandoEstrada
- "Have you left the heating on again Barbara?"fadein11
- Slowest gif everHijoDMaite
- The earth has a yeast infectiondocpoz
- that's hotchukkaphob
Every time I watch a YouTube video
1) Skip ad
2) Turn off annoying annotations
3) Close banner ad overlays
4) Scroll to comments to load them to read during or after video plays
ux ftw... smh
5) Right-click suggested videos I'm interested in and open in new tab to watch next because I'm a YouTube whore
- 6) install ad blockerset
- 7) What Set saidutopian
- you guys watch youtube on computers? fuck all that, i need to get paid to be on that shit.GuyFawkes
- i also youtubedocpoz
- just switch to brave.com browser at least for youtube.uan
- ^ brave is great but still built from chrome. I have my doubtsmugwart
- that thread is ancient, thoughdocpoz
- what’s wrong with that? use it.kingsteven
- The question mark kills my enthusiasm for that thread.docpoz
- gotta love that first post though, and has been active recently.kingsteven
- The thread is cool as a "back from the ashes" observationdocpoz
- The expletive kills my enthusiasm for this thread... ;)Nairn
- yea the first post killsdocpoz
I finally got around to updating my website ... 9+ or so years.
It's brand new so let me know if you see any edits or glitches. It's also the 2nd website I've made using Webflow and still figuring things out.
I always feel like being a "great" designer is always an elusive thing I am chasing because of how good some of you are. I hope you enjoy ...
- need to proof read it
udda:"We’ve worked from small-scrappy"
med republic: "Over fives years ago"
"his families medical"
- nfl host: "to coordinate and manager their"
- ohhh.. thanks... on it. My GF usually proofs reads but she is travelingatomholc
- Thanks Hans, got it fixed already.atomholc
- i spotted others on a quick flick thru so check it all thoroughly would be my advicehans_glib
- I like the illustrated bits a lot. The one thing I found that was off was the "Art Is Everything" piece being squashed beyond the left edge of the browser.CyBrainX
- I shoulda known hans' eyes would be drawn to The Udder.detritus
- to be blunt - if I was looking for someone to do my site, your entire front page and its chaotic insistence that 'art is everthing' mantra is a bit off-putting.detritus
- Your portfolio of work is very good, and skirts both creative and blunt professional... although the reliance on so much movement is a bit trying.detritus
- Also, and really not trying to be a dick - if your site has four means of navigation (inc. top nav list and scrollbar) something's not brilliant.detritus
- Good work, and cool creative, though - i just think the merging might be dissuasive to similarly-miserable cunts as I :)detritus
- I could've made my website 'normal' .. but that's not my style and I like to take risks. Even if I don't always pull it off.atomholc
- I get your feedback Detritus... i would have never made this site for a client. Why would I make a chaotic experience to represent myself ... not really sureatomholc
- Thanks for taking the time to look :)atomholc
- i love this, navigation arrows are fucking my retina but yeah, fuck yeah :D don't care about what these old dickheads sayin' lol. (it's fucking awesome)sted
- I enjoyed scrolling through it on a phone. Only found two ways to nav and had no problems there. only issue is I don’t know what you did on each project.monospaced
- You just link to other company home pages ... does that mean you designed everything on each? Just the site or also branding? All pages?monospaced
- Maybe a little paragraph on each and some images of what you did, in case the company sites change some day. I dunno.monospaced
- @mono, good advice on the copy, will update ... I can be overly ambiguousatomholc
- Its fun and flashy but a bit inefficient and confusing.docpoz
- Thanks docpoz, I get your feedback. I was just having fun and went with it being messy, slight confusing has always been in my style for whatever reasonatomholc
- not necessarily something that always works ... but I know how to separate my personal style from professional work most of the time :)atomholc
- Thanks again guys ... when I am not being pulled away for client work I am going to continue to evolve it.atomholc
- Best of luck to you. It aint bad.docpoz
- A mi me gusta! It might turn some people off but I think it shows tons of personality and it's very refreshing in that sense. Typography could be stronger.canoe
- I noticed a few images won't load the first time on mobile until refresh, incase some you think some of the design is messier then it should be. Trying to fix..atomholc
- need to proof read it
- Honestly, of all the dumb moves so far by this moron, this one takes the cake for me.mathinc
- The current deal allows them to build a nuke in 8 more years, yeah it's a bad deal... It's all in the fine print. Trump right again.robotron3k
- he'll only be proved right if he comes up with something better to replace it.Fax_Benson
- So the dominoes fall and Iran starts building a nuke now instead. That's better? Or would you rather just start the war now? Get it over with.mandomafioso
- There will be no war, Iran simply is not ready and the EU will do anything to placate. Though Syria and Israel may go at it for a bit.robotron3k
- Mazel tovutopian