- Last post
- 69,665 Responses
Ends today i think. Subscribe to Wired for only 5$ for 1 year of membership. Digital+Web+Paper or just Digital+Web
- Is very low I reckon. The amount of shits I give, that is.set
- I like their articles. I subscribed. 5$ is not muchBennn
- good to have ya back, set :)Gnash
- I don't think I understand this business model.DRIFTMONKEY
- its for the ads. They can say "we have 150k members" it worth something for the advertisers. They could sell their membership 1$, the goal is the # of membersBennn
I never have anything to say on the blog! I don't post personal stuff on facebook either. I don't feel like I'm not open with my feelings - I just don't have anything to say which I feel concerns other people.
so last year i made my way across europe for the summer by way of a combination between workaway.info and freelance work, four months worked well so this year i just got a one-way ticket.
currently enjoying day 3 in mallorca. who knows what is next. 36 no wife no kids no money no future so just making the most of the present.
- Thanks UANutopian
- Comparison Slider
- wtf? I coulda sworn I'd just loaded this page and this post had no notes? ho humNairn
- thanks gang!utopian
- awesome! QBN FTW!Krassy
- P.S. belongs in the Useful ThreadKrassy
- It has it's own music: https://www.youtube.…shapesalad
Helping out a guy with a design job and now he starts calling me "buddy" on the phone.
I always feel like that's demeaning.
Q $ reprint.
I have a small gallery client that i did a artist's catalog for a few years ago. they want to reprint another 100.
I've never really had to price reprinting. any advice on flat fee vs hourly? Is there a standard practice on this? It's going to require more admin, proofing, probably color correction again and shipping.
- cost + 20% ?_me_
- estimate i got was 2,300 for 100... so, 460? that's not far from the 500 flat fee i was thinking.MrAbominable
- How come so expensive?Hayoth
- You mean the fee, right? I was figuring it was a one-off so to do a flat fee. In all, I'd guess it's about 4hrs including calls and waiting for deliveries etc.MrAbominable
- Generally i charge them 75hr for process stuff. If you think sub-500 is there a particular reason?MrAbominable
- $500 is more than reasonable. if you are going to a press-approval as well then I'd charge moreGnash
- Thanks Gnash.
I dithered on this and ended up charging 350. Should have stuck to my guns.MrAbominable
- if a typo or color issue occurs, are you on the hook for a reprint?Gnash
- years ago I used to do press-approvals for a print broker (It was a side-gig). He paid $800 + travel/hotel expenseGnash
- But HIS insurance covered any issues that required a reprint if I would have missed anythingGnash
- no. no insurance. it's only small volume digital printing.
It's a valid concern though.MrAbominable
how the interview go?
- lets just say i need a beerpockets
- Give us more to go on then thateryx
- paid moving expenses shall be nicepockets
- possibly be in shellies neck of the woods soonpockets
- Congrats! If you ever come down an hour south to visit the Whale's Vagina, ping meKrassy
- lol @ kassy... ill save up for travelingpockets
- yeah, that 3hr drive from LA is expensive :)monospaced
- i kept thinking kassy is out of the US..whoops, i was in SD last weekpockets
- I'm in San Diego :)Krassy
- How much staff rotation in the last 6 months, who your team is going to be, why they're hiring at this moment, what would success look like in 3 months for youzarkonite
- in that role, how are they trying to grow their business + how will you help with that...zarkonite
- When I interview for a role, I mainly want to know if they're going to fuck up my team with a bad attitude and if they're hard working.zarkonite
- moving expensesGnash
- You got this. Remember they want to hire you just as much as you want the job.eryx
- what's my monthly allotment for hookers and blow?_niko
- When discussing money or perks, use the word compensation, never pay, money or salary. This underlines that you create things to get paid.robotron3k
- I would not ask the health of the company or turnover rate. Don't hint you'll leave if things get bad, go in there as a problem solver.robotron3k
- Have one success story ready and one lessons learned story.robotron3k
- Lastly, use your church voice when speaking. If used correctly you can get anything you ask forrobotron3k
- have fun! :Dsted
- Oh and ask for a little tour of the workspace...robotron3k
- How much did you get for a signing bonus?utopian
- Don't wear a green T-shirt over a long sleeve undergarment for the interview!shapesalad
- ... but still bring the paper bagPonyBoy
I posted this in December and just realized I never got a completion email. It's still waiting for more people to sign up if anyone is interested.
QBN Sticker Exchange 2018 (2019)
The goal of this is to collect information from interested individuals willing to produce and share stickers worldwide within the QBN community.
Provide your name and mailing address to be notified of additional applicant information.
Once 25 interested parties have signed up, the collected mailing addresses will be shared via the email addresses provided to begin the distribution process.
Sign up if interested.
My friend made a post on Insta about a workshop that sounded like fun so I asked her who was leading it and then she said she was.
I want to do it but I'm not paying my friend to teach me.
- You take advantage of your friend?pango
- Just feels awkward to pay her?freedom
- if any thing you pay your friend more to support her. Unless she insist otherwise.
Don't low ball your friend. ಠ_ಠpango
- What a great friend you are freedom.microkorg
- no it's fine, she'll get lots of recommendations from freedom. and we all know you can live off recommendationshans_glib
- It would be like paying her to hang out.freedom
- It's called supporting what she does...
You wanna hang out? Hang out when she is not working.pango
- If your friend has a restaurant, you don't just go there and eat. Then say you don't feel like paying to hang out where she works.pango
- Just don't go.
If you're seriously having a hard time deciding if you want to pay your friend.pango
- tell her you don't want to pay her - that way she'll probably stop being your friend, at which point you can pay her without feeling weirdFax_Benson
- I thought I was bad instagramFax_Benson
- freedom has no respect for his friend or his friend's time. he wouldn't build his friend's anything for free. #hypocriteimbecile
just got a 140k/yr full benefits job offer in Culver City...
is this real?
- sounds promising.capn_ron
- doing what?Krassy
- Shopify Full Stack Devpockets
- "You certainly fit the bill for a permanent / fulltime position."pockets
- I'd totally apply. Kinda up my alley :)Krassy
- Nice! Congrats! (hook me up!)ArmandoEstrada
- damn, just joining shopify? sounds good!BabySnakes
- Selling what?freedom
- @freedom blowKrassy
- Legal in CA now?freedom
- Seems too much money. What's the job title?NBQ00
- Working FOR Shopify? Went to a talk by 3 Shopify folk within the UX dept. Was interesting. Sounds like a cool company to work for.microkorg
- Hi Jimyuekit
- Money is nicerobthelad
- congrats! shopify on the up & up.umbee54
- Gonna need some bigger pockets for all that loot, son!stoplying
- Jim lolutopian
- Fucking Jim, you’ll love Cali, much better than Detroit_niko
- took me 2 days to figure out the jim referencespockets
Just arrived from dentist. Right now I could stab myself in the chin or cut my tongue with a pair scissors and I wouldn't feel shit
- drinking from a straw?Krassy
- prove it with a videoimbecile
- root canal?monospaced
- no, cavitiesBennn
- Do it while you can. You'll regret it tomorrow if you don'tFax_Benson
- do it for YouTube. Think of the # of views!!!! $$$$££££$$$$microkorg
- maybe next time :D Too late nowBennn
- Ok. Do a, before Novocain and after Novocain, chin stab video!futurefood
- my future wifeGnash
- until then she's known as frances quinlanGnash
- poor old scarlett - discarded like a sweet wrapperhans_glib
- thanks. Ok i dont like her music.
- wait, she's a musician?Gnash
- ^ lolMaaku
- @gnash where did you get that from?renderedred
- A Casino with the Gibson headstock? I thought they were all Epiphone. Even the expensive ones.section_014
- get what from, red?Gnash
- that she's a musician?renderedred
- bennn told meGnash
- @section, I think that's a gibson ESGnash
- Aubrey Plazarobotron3k
- Singer Frances Quinlan of the band Hop Along performs onstage during Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2016sted
- so she is def a musician :Dsted
- yes she is, and her music sucks (to my taste, no offense Frances)Bennn
Wait, what? robo is a Latino?
- Robo is love, Robo is life.
- no he's most definitely not; I've met himmonospaced
- If he identifies as a Latino, who are we to judge?deadsperm
- That would be like denying someone's Americanness because that person wasn't born in America.deadsperm
- He’s Latino like his girlfriend’s Polish_niko
- Crazy right NBQ, the reason mono didn't know is because I had my gringo disguise on. Pleated kakki pants, braided belt, top siders, plaid button down, Ray bans.robotron3k
- ...and tiki torch_niko
- Yes! a Tikki torch is gringo to the max!robotron3k
- are you full or half? I'm half and still consider myself Mexican. even though i'm half Mexican and half Norwegian.capn_ron
- Full, very cool capn! At least you're in SF where there's good Mex Food, NYC is still behind...robotron3k
- San Diego, but i was born in SF. so i have strong emotions about that city too. I asked because i think people assume i'm just white from my looks.capn_ron
- San Diego, even better Mex food! I'm originally from San Antoniorobotron3k
- I've gotten racist remarks from whites but I've also gotten them from Latinos who thought I was white, till I speak to them in Spanish and they shut uprobotron3k
- omg, robo isn't hispanic/latino or even close, ffsmonospaced
- because he doesn't dress like a cholo?Gnash
- My cholo wear was at the dry cleaners when I met mono that's why he's confused.robotron3k
- that makes sense, esseGnash
- nope, because he just isn'tmonospaced
- Maybe he’s like the ginger in blood on blood out?_niko
- Shellie should be able to confirm, I think she's met him a couple of times.fadein11
- sea_sea's met him too... seas?PonyBoy
- regardless... why is this important?PonyBoy
- nancy drew is on itGnash
- it's not important, but it is a bit weird to pretend you're a race you're not.monospaced
- One could argue that it's even weirder to challenge someone on it (let alone, ask for proof)Gnash
- Really? have you met robo? I have ... it's not a challenge, dude. He's flat out lying. I think he likes the idea of pretending he's a Mexican Trump supporter.monospaced
- y'know, because he's trollingmonospaced
- if we assume mono is correct, I'll need to inform my parents they are gringos, this will be news to them! wonder why they taught me all that Spanish culture?robotron3k
- Spanish? Mexican? Latino? Hispanic? Which one is it, robo?monospaced
- on the plus side, they can now take advantage of white privilege! so much free stuff.Gnash
- I can prove I'm not white, Asian chicks won't date me. That is more than enough proof.robotron3k
- this is so weird. i've seen plenty of mexican people who look whiter than most white people. mono, is your theory based on looks only? just curious.capn_ron
- @capn, no not just looks ... I'm not that ignorant, ffs. He's got an english accent and is from there.monospaced
- and nobody asked him to prove his race, either, not sure where that came from.monospaced
- It's amazing how much emphasis is still put on ethnicity in America.deadsperm
- ^ It's worse now than it was 20 years ago.Gnash
- identity politics overrides reality often over here in the StatesPonyBoy
- Robo is love, Robo is life.
I've got 5 days of vacations this easter, and I plan I'm not going to get a big project during 10 or 12 days, time to WORK and FOCUS on sending my comic propossal...
Hope I can exercise and go back to a positive route, far from this rollercoaster my life has become latelly
did my taxes.. in the green..positive day
How do you know when it's time to take a long vacation?
What are the signs (or red flags for you before you begin losing your mind) that you need time off?
- When you have enough money.wagshaft
- when you feel everything falling apart around youpockets
- when it affects your job or everyday lifepockets
- when you are overwhelmed by tasks, duties of personal lifepockets
- of = orpockets
- just take a fucking vacation alreadypockets
- when you relate to at least 3 posts on here: https://www.qbn.com/…Krassy
- When you start smoking and getting drunk all the weekends...OBBTKN
- pockets, point well taken. where to go? was thinking france...notype
I'm going to the Middle East for 3 weeks. I have an iPhone with Verizon.
I need phone access for emergencies and texting would be nice but not necessary. Hoping for wifi on occasion too.
What are my options for keeping an active phone line?
- ^ thanks. Anything better than $10/day?freedom
- i would buy a cheap local phone and redirect my private to that, for outgoing you can use skype with the original caller idsted
- Easy, buy a local Sims card with credit when you get there.robotron3k
- by a fucking pager you "moran" and stop asking dumb questions.utopian
- prepaid sim chip, helps you manage things. verizon and at&t kill you when roamingpockets
- Imo switch to tmobile. Free international calls and data worldwide. That’s just me though since I travel for work regularly.noRGB
This happened this morning so I need to get it out there to help shake it off.
After a month-long email exchange to negotiate the terms for a sales-rep, which he provided a constant moving target ... in which I finally agreed to his terms. He threw it back in my face with some very abrasive(insulting) language saying it wasn't good anymore and included a link to a racist video about ww2 being a conspiracy. Geessshhhhhh ... not sure if I was severely trolled this whole time or if he is that miserable of a human being. (or both)
I am making a positive playlist to help get me through it, anybody have recommendations to add?
- Ouch, not easy to stay positive... Do something that it's helpfull with hatred?OBBTKN
- If you're still young, you'll manage it, if you're older, you're able to do a wrong decision, slow down, relax a bit... Some wine? Exercise?OBBTKN