For a better tomorrow.
1. I love my parents, Lady Gaga and Humpty Dumpty.
2. I love my parents, Lady Gaga, and Humpty Dumpty.
- every civilized languages chooses 1, except englishdrgs
- Why would an Oxford comma apply to a language other than English? Intonation and phrasing is wildly different across all spoken languages.face_melter
- Not to mention grammar and sentence construction.face_melter
- they're both correct, depending on what it is you're saying. why is this so difficult?Fax_Benson
- haha - drgs is totally missing the point hereset
- Throwing commas into Swedish would just make you look like a clown. The pauses are in the words.face_melter
- in germanic languages -- no it isntdrgs
- basically youre saying grammar is different between langauges, because grammar is differentdrgs
- You're transposing English punctuation into languages that aren't English or even remotely built or as flexible as English.face_melter
- It makes no sense whatsoever.face_melter
- i speak norwegian, english and russian fluently + some german.
english is the least flexibledrgs
- And yet everyone speaks it.detritus
- because american culture is dominant and the language is easy to learn
no other reasonsdrgs
- the two examples in this post should be
1. I love my parents Lady Gaga and Humpty Dumpty.
2. I love my parents, Lady Gaga and Humpty Dumpty.drgs
- You're still missunderstandingset
- i know the cases where you have these "pairs" which blend in within the list otherwise, but the rule does not "scale"drgs
- what if you have "triplets" which you need to differ from the parent list? etc
what if you have three lists each consists of 5 words, how do you join them all?drgs
- the oxford comma is an attempt on hierarchical unions, but it does not generalize. so either have something that works or dont use it at alldrgs
- Humpty Dumpty is a fictional character, he is not the father.
- dunno about english, but in french you never put a "," before a "and"Bennn
- and we always put a "," before a "but"Bennn
- Ben est sociable mais négatif.ORAZAL
- used to do 1, now I do 2.section_014
- ^ another one missing the point. Someone put them out of their misery. Please.set
There's a burrito place down the street that a husband and wife run.
I don't think anyone else works there and they are there every time I go and are open from 8am to 10pm.
So people like this work 100+ hours a week and never do anything else?
- Holy shit.detritus
- Dont eat the mayosince1979
- I know there's a ton of businesses like this, but I never really thought about it.freedom
- that's nuts. some people are wired like that. i am not. maybe they are supporting someone. maybe they are looking forward to retirement.HijoDMaite
- usually those places are closed on mondays or something. you can't physically keep that up.HijoDMaite
- They do have different people working there.
You just couldn't tell the difference.pango
- lol @ the mayo....they probably make a ton and gamble a lot on weekendsMaaku
- who eats a burrito at 8 am?VectorMasked
- My parent worked those kind of hours for many years. Long days 7 days a week.pinkfloyd
- @vector everyone. breakfast burritoHijoDMaite
- Family owned corner shops are the same. They work 7 days, 6am - 9pm. Folks sneer but they hand the business to kids, buy a luxury Mercedes and retire at 50.monoboy
Windows are in a brilliant position to turns things around. Google did it... No one ever thought Google would lead the way in design as they now do.
Come on Windows... sort that OS out and I'm in. I'd fuck Apple off in an instant if there was a better option.
- My thoughts exactly. Windows 10 is great on the surface but still needs work in the nitty gritty.fadein11
- For me Windows just needs to shut the fuck up. It's always finding ways to interrupt me that Mac OS doesn't do. Yes, I know I plugged in a mouse. Yes I know.monospaced
- haha yea. I haven't spent much time on the OS so I'm open to it... I hope it's good. I could only ever handle a few minutes on windows in the pastset
- The preview complaint is a valid one, but other than that, Windows works well. W10 is still, imho, the best design. I am still hoping for a Surface Phoneformed
- and with this momentum they could be planning a superb marketing strategy - get people to "like" MS and the design and a phone would just solidify thingsformed
- I boot into Windows 10 occasionally to do some gaming. Each time I have to wait for all kinds of auto updates and stuff. Otherwise, it seems super solid over 8.monospaced
- ^ how often do you log in then? Updates are once a month and mine are installed within minutes..mekk
- probably once a month ... but it's not just windows updates, it's nvidia updates, other driver updates, security things, and on and on ... is that normal?monospaced
- One I found a way to bypass the login screen on W10 and not require a password, I became much happier too.monospaced
- Because updating drivers and getting improved performance is such an inconvenience. Fuck me. Apple's GPU drivers are absolute shit.face_melter
- And only officially getting driver updates via OS updates? Fucking clownshoes.face_melter
- I love how personally people take the mac vs windows thing. It's an operating system... you didn't give birth to it.set
- my problem with microsoft is the OS.ApeRobot
- this would be awsome if someone could hackintosh it.yurimon
- It wouldn't though. They'd need to rewrite some sort of OSX iOS hybrid as well...set
- I'm sure that's coming, but right now simply putting OSX on it would be shite.set
- I use both osx and w10 on daily basis and I'd be hard pressed to say one is better than the other. w10 has a cleaner design imo.zarkonite
- I agree. Why can't we just fuck off all these faulty OS' and return to the abacus?futurefood
- Funny how nobody mentions the huge privacy differences between OSX and Windows (which is now "free" so they have to monetize it somehow).evilpeacock
- Mac OS = insanely sandboxed and encrypted, causes frustration for some. Windows 10 = sandboxed to app store, but tracks and shares your usage data, serves adsevilpeacock
- I've just noticed that I meant to type Microsoft not Windows in the original postset
- @mono the nvidia drivers are mostly just important for new releases, they update the driver for every new big game. No need to follow unless you install new..mekk
- Apple dropped the ball with OSX, imho. They had the chance to make the iPad Pro a Surface competitor, but chose to lock you into iOS.formed
- It would take a lot to remake OSX to support touch and no point in having a iPad the size of a monitor.formed
Haven't seen or read anything - summarise the keynote in 3 words please.
- oh okay - just looking now - so Apple leaks are now all true, good to know for future reference.fadein11
- WTF? is that it?fadein11
- not powerful enougherr
- not worth the costKnuckleberry
- i'm sticking with good old apple - macpro 1.1 and snow leopard. thems were the days i tells yah!hans_glib
- adapters, gimmicks, anorexiaSquiddy
- peanuts piss jizzface_melter
- Same old shitBullitt
Just picked up these.
- i've never owned a pair of these. love them!HijoDMaite
- Finally found these on ebay. Been looking for a pair for ages!BusterBoy
- Such a good skate shoe once you cut that bobo tongue off.ben_
- Are you a coder?OSFA
- Do you wear soccer shirts and have long hair?freedom