For a better tomorrow.
- (compuserve has 30 days to live)sted
- $5 a hour??ArmandoEstrada
- $5/hr... lol... we'd be FUCKED nowadays @ that rate. At minimum given the amount time I'm online that'd be thousands a month for internetPonyBoy
- someday, we will learn some basic kerningscarabin_net
- fortunately when it arrived to europe it had a monthly fee, but i still managed to make some unimaginable phone bills :)sted
- what year did this come out?hotroddy
- @ scarabin: it's called "close but not touching". so veerry 80s daahlinkhans_glib
- @hotroddy: 1982sted
- Someday, you'll learn to kern.Chimp
How do you encrypt a PDF w/o Acrobat (pwd protect)?
- click on tools in Adobe Acrobat, go from there.robotron3k
- thanks bud!notype
- wait... but you said with out acrobat...pango
- zip regular pdf with passworddrgs
- yeah i know pango. thought robo was saying there was not other option.notype
- zip files can be pwd protected?notype
- encryption should really be its own thread.notype
- are you on a mac?Gnash
- Open in "Preview"
> File > Export
- Format: PDF
- check "Encrypt"
add and verify passwordGnash
- Yeah. Gnash whuuuuuuttt!!! didn’t know you could do that in Preview!notype
- *thumbs up*Gnash
crazy... the USA, Netherlands, Turkey, Chile and now Italy all failed to qualify for the World Cup...
- i see it as a positive thing. i very rarely watch a game, maybe two in a year but i follow a bit.oey
- nl and it, rare not in world cup... but usa... never have been the best teamOBBTKN
- yeah... we're still babies but it had been 30+ years since we hadn't made the cutPonyBoy
- Turkey had its moment in 2002, since then like everything else AKP fucked up football as well.Beeswax
- Turkey didn't qualify since 2006 for a world cup.. Afaik soccer is pretty popular there?mekk
I just read the whole Gypsy saga thing here on the blog and I got to thinking. What would be the equivalent of that here in California?
So this morning on my way to the office, I walked by a construction site and
“oh shit” I thought “niggers casing out the place - wonder how long before...”
Or is it: “oh shit” I thought “Mexicans casing out the place - wonder how long before...”
Or is it: “oh shit” I thought “homeless dudes casing out the place - wonder how long before...”
Or is it: “oh shit” I thought “tweakers casing out the place - wonder how long before...”
I have no idea about gypsys tbh so I am just curious if it’s derogatory by their nationality (or lack there of) or skin colors or status?
Lol it’s just funny.
- I don't think there's an equivalent.monospaced
- itinerant people who speak romani, incorrectly identified as being from egypt = gypsy. a racial slur. https://www.theodyss…sarahfailin
- these are irish gypsies - literally gypsies, so it's not a derogatory term, just a derogatory lifestyle. (lol, sorry)detritus
- Most people in Europe don't like them because their lack of respect for laws and common sense social rulesdmay
- They have their own laws and social rulesdmay
- No sarah, nothing to do with Romanys. Although they're cunts too (as too Spanish gitanos). And 'gypsy' is NOT a racial slur per se. May as well be though. loldetritus
- tbf, there're a lot of grounded Romanys these days, and it's unfair they should have the shadow of cuntery fall over them too.detritus
- People like the authors of that article are the sort of ignorant middle class idiots I referred to in my original gypsy rant.detritus
- i think gypsy might have become a slur since the gyppos (definitely a racial slur) have debased their own "culture" by behaving so badlyhans_glib
- when i was a kid we were told they were noble people. i was never too sure as they always seemed very stand-offish and suspicious of mehans_glib
- (as a kid i once innocently wandered up to a couple of passing caravans to say hello and have a closer look for myself at these "noble people".)hans_glib
- i don't remember too much about the encounter, bar a hard stare from the mam, and a sorry attempt to make any connection with the kid...hans_glib
- ... who seemed very old for her age. (or maybe she was old. maybe she was the mam, and the mam was the gran.)hans_glib
- we have these hippy/backpackers cruising the streets, but I don't think they break many laws. lol http://c8.alamy.com/…HijoDMaite
- maybe they are the equivalent?HijoDMaite
- well if they're Irish they aren't gypsies: https://en.m.wikiped…sarahfailin
- fascinating ^^ been reading about these travellers.HijoDMaite
- Thanks Sarah, good to have centuries of linguisic tradition and the very wiki you've linked to proven wrong by incorrect opinings.detritus
1. Imagine your neighbourhood with a nice green space for playing, walking the dog etc.
2. 30 caravans turn up in the night + 30 cars all over it.Hayzilla
- 3. They are loud, obnoxious and aggressive.
4. They steal everything that isn't nailed down on your streets.Hayzilla
- 5. They travel door to door asking if you need your drive tarmaced or trees cut down.
6. They don't pay taxes and are mostly cash in hand builders/landscapersHayzilla
- 7. When the council/police finally get them to move on, they leave behind all the rubbish, building rubble and garden waste they accrued in that area.Hayzilla
- I mean. Just LOOK at these cunts.
- it is insane. i got one of those flyers handed to me once that amongst fly tipping and gardening services... "WE FIND LOST TREES" wtf.kingsteven
- also, in ireland they're considered as irish as roma gypsies are considered romanian. only ireland decided to give travelers basic human rights...kingsteven
- where Romania changed it's country code from ROM to ROU and brought in a ton of discriminatory measures to avoid association...kingsteven
- Loving the the confusion of trying to explain gypsies to Americans. Closest would be trailer park boys/ white trash... Is this why they made the film Snatch?kingsteven
Bryan Cranston says we should be open to forgiving Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey
"“His career now, I think, is over,” actor Bryan Cranston said recently of Spacey, in an interview that captured what a lot of people seem to be feeling. “He’s a phenomenal actor but he’s not a very good person... It would take time, it would take a society to forgive them, and it would take tremendous contrition on their part,”"
- Someone get my torch and pitchfork.pango
- fuck all thatGuyFawkes
- If they turn their lives around and do something good for society, sure. No reason to forgive them just because.bainbridge
- ^ yeah how do you measure progress other than "not do it again".cannonball1978
- Don't think Cranston said anything outrageous here - certainly not in keeping with the headlineFax_Benson
- Weinstein might go to jail too.bainbridge
- They're both multi-millionaires who don't have to work if they don't want to.bainbridge
- After he serves his time then the public might consider forgiving him.pango
- I think Cranston makes very obvious statements when really the press are the one's sensationalising things. "It's a societal problem, not just Hollywood"Ianbolton
- If we're never going to forgive them, or at least learn from their mistakes we may as well bring back the death penalty!!Ianbolton
when your kid gets wind in the first few months and cant sleep you can lie them on their back and gently push their legs up and down to pump the farts out (don't worry they're really flexible - we could practically fold them in half). They relax straight away and you'll get some sleep. Everyone I've taught the method too thanks me bigtime.
- I sense a Disney film out of this, my bet is "Owly" :)mrAtor
- Lovely shotHayzilla
- nar more a film from the creators of a song at sea. Looks Nordic/Celtic. My sing to me!mugwart
- *queue tin flute and fiddleContinuity
- hah: was thinking that's donegal... https://www.instagra…kingsteven
- this was made by some friends, filmed by christopher doyle in west fermanagh (i seem to remember), south of donegal https://www.youtube.…kingsteven
- try to get over west as often as i can, stunningly beautiful.kingsteven
- thanks for the correction @architectoroffatemugwart
What do you do when a somewhat promising lead from out of the blue flakes on you?
Do you forget them or try to stay in touch?
- probably better off_niko
- maybe send a reconnect email, but other than that you can't force em to do work with you.capn_ron
- how did they flake?since1979
- send a reconnect dick picPonyBoy
- Someone reached out and asked if I was available to work on a project then said things changed in the budget they no longer needed me.bainbridge
- I've given up expecting anything from such leads - it's 50/50 whether they come through and it's not worth my heartache investing hope in them 'til fruitiondetritus
- ..which is to say, I leave them be and trust their guilt for wasting my time will haunt them into coming back for some actual workdetritus
- Thats hardly flaking tho.since1979
Gipsy Saga Pt. II
So as I walked into work the other day, I noticed a gate to a light industrial space down the road was open, when it shouldn't've been. It's been worked on for a few years and is, or at least was, in its last transitional phase.
Outside were two blockheads yabbering away in an indecypherable mess somewhere between derpest Cork and Old Geordie.
"Aye Aye" thought I "Gypsies casing the place — I wonder how long it'll be before... " Well, I had my answer today.
Gates are now locked, from the inside.
On the outside is an official-looking notice, but not one of eviction or official authority, rather a legalese wrangling printed by the gypsies themselves. A statement of residence and a warning against trying to turf them out undfer some obscure bylaw. I peer in through a hole and see 4 caravans lined up on one side, and on the other side a growing mass of commercial waste, of course dumped.
Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
I'm most amused at how they've deployed the official laws of the land against itself whilst they themselves choose to live completely outside of them.
Fucking cheeky bastards.
- cannot hate the gypsies, they have their own world and good for them!renderedred
- that would be dandy if 'their world' wasn't someone else's shortly beforehand. if they paid their way, if they were of any societal value at all.detritus
- Detritus' Big Fat Gypsie Saga: When Sole Traders get Fly-tipped.Fax_Benson
- instead they rip people off and intimidate them, steal and [significantly] dump shit at their arses - they cost everyone around them, whilst they drive BMWs etcdetritus
- I'm sure someewhere thye're ok - I've just yet to see where in my 40 years on Earth.detritus
- They not are OK anywhere. Scum.Hayzilla
- Just found out that someone's had an expensive camera stolen from front of shop here today. Coincidence?detritus
- I guess the owner of the land will have something to say about them pitching up. Bylaw horseshit or not, if it's privately owned they can get fucked.face_melter
- And if it's anything like Glasgow, look forward to an entirely innocent and accidental fire in a very specific spot...face_melter
- These are caravans, not ice creams vans!
- It's pretty bad in the PNW. I used to find random bums sleeping in my back yard when I lived in Oregon.garbage
- Which was totally strange. I had two gigantic apple trees that would drop fermented apples, so deer would eat the apples, get drunk, and pass out til morning.garbage
- And the passed out deer would attract mountain lions. In the morning I would find bums, drunk deer, or cougar scat.garbage
- I apologize to all.
@detritus no they aren't ok anywhere.
we're living together with gypsies for centuries, they simply can not fit in.sted
- @garbage wtf?? is that a real story?? hahahaHijoDMaite
- LOL @garbage. Funny shit mate.Hayzilla
- ^^ oh, buildings mysteriously burn down when the land is needed. A whole strip of old sheds at Partick went on fire. Then they built apartments. Weird, eh?face_melter
- And it's not like they were derelict, a few were architectural reclamation businesses with antique fixtures and fittings. Fire lasted for about three days.face_melter
- Samesame in Camden, face - curious how every time old buildings stand in the way of shitty over-development, they spontaneously combust.detritus
- Yeah, 100% true. Oregon is a strange place. Here in Seattle we occasionally have people break into our stairwell and sleep under the stairs.garbage
- A few months ago I found an old pair of jeans and a few unused tampons. Massive homeless problem here.garbage
- Bonus on the unused tampons though, eh?
- Spain, near Madrid or something - didn't this go up in smoke a few years ago?detritus
- No, it did not.
- Photograph is a bit sensationalist.
- © on Google Earth says 2017 for that area, so presumably they've cleaned up over the past couple of years. Does GE not have the timeline feature?detritus
- Ah, Google Earth did, didn't it? Not Maps.detritus
- there is a college near it... fantastic!!OBBTKN
- I thought they did!detritus
- make me tired.sureshot
- I never tyre of seeing this...see_thru