For a better tomorrow.
It was my birthday last Friday and I was flying home from Houston - flight delayed 4 hours. My wife and boys said they would pick me up at the airport and my 4 year old son had a balloon for me.
From there, we headed to a sushi restaurant about 45 mins away, and my son opened his car window and POOF, the balloon was violently ripped off his wrist and sucked out of the car. Inconsolable hysterics ensued. For 20 minutes.
So we go to a Toys R Us store to get a replacement balloon - he was that upset.
Go to sushi joint, they bring us to our table, we're figuring out who is going to sit where and POOF - a ceiling fan gets our second balloon.
A young couple next to us was just leaving as we sat down and saw the balloon pop. 10 minutes later they come back with a new balloon for my son. All was right in the universe again.
People can be really good sometimes.
- lesson learned and reinforced: throw tantrum to get what you want, over and over again :)monospaced
- lovely story :)fadein11
- Over a fucking balloon? You give in like that? :) My parents would haven't even got me the balloon as it would be deemed an 'unnecessary expense' by Dad. hehePonyBoy
- They all floatdyspl
- apparently PonyBoy has no idea what a balloons means to ussted
- The balloon was for me, but my son felt so bad that he lost MY balloon, he was crushed.stoplying
- haha! Now I want a balloon :(PonyBoy
- Now I feel bad.monospaced
- no you don't... if I had a balloon you'd be the first to pop it, mono... admit it!! :DPonyBoy
- lol @monoBennn
- Happy birthday BTW!mugwart
- and you didn't tell us?!?!?!pango
- ^ isnt it uncool to tell people your birthday?mugwart
- people are usually jerks..but occasionally they aren't.. I like this storyautoflavour
- nice story but I r3ckon life is still fucked lolsureshot
- No not really. How else would anyone know your birthday?pango
- CotD threadKrassy
- ux vs ui.
ux-close the window shade
ui-oh look at me i'm so unique and creative!kona
- Innovation sleepsmoldero
- hee hee molderodetritus
- ha... nice moldy :)PonyBoy
- it works—nice tip!jaylarson
- @kona & @moldero LOL!Krassy
- haha moldero :)fadein11
- +1 to moldygarbage
- lol @kona
I CHOSED THE KONA SIDE!!1Bennn
- we all chose the krassy sidesarahfailin
- Justin Bieber ?VectorMasked
- great focal rangefadein11
- lol bastardset
- tbf, you're not looking comfortable.
As if perhaps you'd just awoken from a binge of somesort and were considering some of your life-choices.detritus
- But hey, a gal's gotta get work.detritus
- Mitch McConnell?jaylarson
- This scene is 100% normal in Brighton by the way (and I am not saying there is anything wrong with that)fadein11
- lol jayGuyFawkes
- Oh manRamanisky2
I met a girl. Friend of a friend of a friend. First time I've connected with anyone in a really long time. Both introverts. Seemed to hit it off and had a lot in common. couldn't stop talking to one another and we planned a art night this week to get together and do some calligraphy together.
Now I'm all up in my own head because I've been here before so many times in my 34 years of living. I'm not sure if she's interested at all because she's really fucking pretty. She said we were going to become "new besties". Not the worst thing but you know. Our mutual friends have been ominously quiet and I can tell they're watching real closely. I can't tell if they know something I don't know?
wish me luck
- just make sure your penis ready to go for calligraphy night.capn_ron
- oh dear lord! i forgot a very important space. pen (insert space) is. carry on.capn_ron
- its called a nibfourth
- I'm sure your mutual friends have all said 'may the fourth be with you'. I know, I'm funny. Good luck man. Go with it. xIanbolton
- lol ronscarabin
- Your friends probably set you up.pango
Trumps retarded supporters heads are exploding because actual science is happening.
- he has a pointfadein11
- I'm honest to God fed up of bullshit schoolyard political point scoring in irrelevant threads. He may have 'a' point, but not for here.detritus
- fuck off clown. go find a safe space!CygnusZero4
- ughf, so weak.detritus
- I saw three trump supporters heads splode today because the science was so overwhelming. total mess on the sidewalkmonospaced
- lol you Americans and your Trump..we Europeans are laughing our asses off.sureshot
- Thanks god you have antifa lolsureshot
- You guise are getting triggered super easy when the name Trump shows up.sureshot
- zzzz indeed...PonyBoy
- This 'Trump Crush' so many Americans have (like Cyg / mono) is really odd... this secret 'love' for Donny you try and cover up is really getting creepy.PonyBoy
- That is at once both beautiful and utterly depressing. There, laid out absolute are the chances i have to witness something in the vague context of my life.detritus
- If I get ti live another decade, I can see a solar eclipse where I'm from. If not, well..
- in 2024 i'm definitely heading down to carbondale il with the boys.kona
- Actually, thanks sted. In 10 years time there's an eclipse over my folks' place :)detritus
- Hahh lol first it was like oh f this i'm going to be 90 at the next one, because I missed that, see ya in 10 years :)sted
voice based ads won't be smart until they are connected to cc or bank account info so it will stop offering me stuff I've already purchased... nothing worse than seeing ads for stuff I now own two weeks after buying it
- Or cookie based... same. They kept promoting things I just bought.pango
- I research a product on Amazon for a long time, purchase one based on reviews. Immediately, Amazon can only recommend that product and only that product.monospaced
- C'mon, Amazon, you know I literally just bought it, why would I want another one?monospaced
- I have a patent on this. It was pitched as the anti-recommendation. If someone purchased a golf driver, don't suggest golf driverskona
- suggest a putter, or long-distance golf balls instead.kona
- +1. Those ads are the most infuriatingly- worst pieces of shit. I've moaned about as much here and elsewhere before.detritus
- Or worth. They recommend the same product at cheaper price....after I bought it...pango
I have a friend who has a 'burner phone'.
Except it's a stock Samsung install and this person has it on all the time, right next to their normal phone, so fuck, useless as per its intent.
As per the 'probably always on, unless you managed to find the setting' recording and advert-matching above, endemic surveillance is everywhere now, yo; We've wholly-idiotically- complicitly blundered into a near-1984 level of surveillance.
Fuckers here and everywhere need to start ditching FB and G, building low-tech receiver phone/modules and making grid/darknet networks.
If people don't start mass-legitimising some level of hackerdom and parallel buy-in to that, we're fucked.
The Internet - the 'web' - is fucked.
We need a back-up plan.
- I 'may' have had a couple too many joints and ciders at this point.detritus
- "dumb phones"imbecile
- isn't your second half just referring to ham radio?imbecile
- no, sorry - meant 'mesh' rather than 'grid'.
My bad. Smart extended wifi, essentially.detritus
- My work phone is a 'dumb' phone.
I forgot what old texting is like.detritus
- just don't install everything on your phone, for example: fb and fb messenger is a bad idea...sted
- I know. I know. This person's paranoid about external interventions... yet uses WhatsApp extensively. I mean, really?detritus
- I'm trying to convince a client to make a two-phone RF-shielded pouch thing, so that people can have a hard reset point.detritus
- I agree with this 100% regardless of cider/joints consumed.fadein11
- Makes sense to me, but surely old texting technology is less secure in someways than even Whatsapp?Ianbolton
- My weed dealer is paranoid AF about even having a phone, even though you can smell his car all over town.Ianbolton
Piggybacking on scarabin's vinyl Amazon weirdness:
The missus was going out with friends over the weekend, and I jokingly texted "be sure to wear a condom".
Pull up an video on my phone a few minutes later and I get slapped with a Trojan ad for the first time ever.
A friend and I started texting exclusively in Spanish a little while ago, and my ads suddenly hablan espanol.
[Cue X-Files theme]
- there's fuckery afootscarabin_net
- i was having sex w my girl and it sends me condom ads. dirty robot wankersince1979
- you are all iphone users?sted
- I mentioned in passing that I wanted swim trunks in a specific style and color, and the next day they were in my feed. Never had an ad like that before.monospaced
- it's not fuckery.
your phone mic is listening to everything for key words regarding search and status postingimbecile
- Android here.garbage
- eavesdroppers; facebook, messenger, etc do not care the platformimbecile
- nice home...architecture of day had a clip of himuan
- Yes, interesting... but far from being a nice home mateOBBTKN
- ^ lmaosureshot
- whats the deal w/ this dude? why not just rent a nice place ?.sureshot
- ^ young architects are broke but they have style...robotron3k
- it must be peaceful and healthy spending a days/nights here, i hope it's a busy bridge...sted
- (just that he gets a lot of attention)sted
- Who took the photo and how do you get there?bainbridge
- He made it to wank in, didn't he?face_melter
- meanwhile families literary live under bridges like this in third world cities.inteliboy
- Made for the Internet. Internet loves it. Achievement Unlocked.Bennn
- not you ben of course.. my dudesureshot
- 'if you build it, no one will come'canoe
- I'd hate to be a sleepwalker in that placekona
- Hopefully he doesn't get discovered now. What a fool to report this??since1979
- What about bugs?Maaku
- ^ I bet there are plenty.sureshot
- it rolls!dbloc
- I think he made it to wank off of, face.detritus