- Last post
- 1,010 Responses
The US Department of Defense (DoD) is ratcheting up its coronavirus response with a new 60-day stop movement order for all overseas troops and civilians. Secretary of Defense Mark Esper enacted the order on 25 March in a bid to protect personnel from the virus and maintain “operational
Initial claims for unemployment insurance reach 3.28 million–the highest on record.
Layoffs are skyrocketing to unprecedented levels as the coronavirus upends the U.S. economy.
The number of Americans filing initial applications for unemployment benefits jumped nearly twelvefold to a record 3.28 million last week, the Labor Department said Thursday, offering the most vivid evidence yet of the pandemic's widespread damage to the economy.
- don't worry, as soon as the big companies receive their bailouts and are able to buy back their stocks to pay their CEOs all will be back to normal!_niko
- yes. pay those who doesn't lack money to survive first.pango
- More than likely it will hit 30%. 5% more than great depression. 5% is difference between acceptable employment and great recessiondeathboy
If a patient arrived at an incredibly over capacity ER in the US with a lower respiratory condition, only 1 in 10 patients can receive treatment. Would the triage be on the basis of their ability to pay the $250k medical bills for a month long stay in ICU hooked up to a respirator? or their potential receptiveness to treatment?
I wonder because the US can do specialist treatments pretty much better than anywhere else on earth, but the idea of hospitals in the US working at 10x capacity just doesn't strike me as a realistic proposition unless it was 10 doctors working round the clock on one incredibly wealthy patient...
The one story that got me spooked about how things might turn out was early on in the outbreak when 25 out of the first 55 deaths in the US were from that one day care facility in Seattle. The families were reporting that the hospitals wouldn't even take in patients from the facility, some took their parents out and quarantined them at home while the ones that got severely ill were just drugged up and sent on their way.
I hope I'm wrong but it's so fucking retarded whats going on that I got thinking: maybe it's not entirely a financial decision to send people back to work? but a decision based on potentially coming last in the game of deaths?
Maybe Trump's advisers realised the US healthcare system can't mobilise its workers like China and Italy (and pretty much every other country in the world). Like someone has told him the difference between the steepness of the curve you could expect with stricter distancing measures at this point will make for a fairly negligible difference in deaths over the next 3 months when you can only actually treat 1 in 10... and Donnie's pulled the old "this game is stoopid! you guys are stoopid! i'm going home!"
- Rumors that ill people are turned away in the USA is incorrect. Hospitals here never turn them away, and we do have free Medicaid, housing, etc for the poor.robotron3k
- I didn't suggest they would be turned away robo. doctors have an oath to protect after all. but as in italy there are limited resources. who gets them?kingsteven
- oh in the life care centre cases? i definitely read that many died awaiting transfer to hospital. i cant believe numbers are still going up.kingsteven
- Article states, "Prof Ricciardi added that Italy’s death rate may also appear high because of how doctors record fatalities."robotron3k
- In China many were turned away and as much preferred to die at home than makeshift hospital... Not really sure u have a pointdeathboy
- US got a capitalistic healthcare system where most other countries got a universal/free healthcare. So yeah its not in any way ideal in this situationNutter
- robo, i'm saying even with italy recording fatalities the US may be far higher + db that's going to happen everywhere with the elderly in the US is it the poor?kingsteven
Church at the center of outbreak gathers thousands together in a building to solve the pandemic "through the healing hand of Jesus"
- just fence them in.Fax_Benson
- gosh...this is like Iran were they refused to close healing shrinesuan
- “It will make it disappear like magic”nbq
- USA is such a weird placeBennn
- It really is Benn, it really is.PhanLo
- "thoughts and prayers"Nutter
- This is NOT the USA the world visits. This is the USA that many people avoid.monospaced
- wow this is sad. They should be prosecuted on Terrorism charges. I always assumed religious leaders were conmen trying to make a buck, now i know they're insane_niko
- also please spread the word amongst Trumtards - Jesus saves! lol_niko
- @Bennn this is not USA. This is just one church in one community out of millions of places not like this. Bennnsplain, but don't generalize.Krassy
- True Krassy, we have a place like that in Canada, we call it Quebec.
I keed, I keed - heart you Bennnnn_niko
- i know, i will try to be more specific next time. USA is such a weird place in some places.Bennn
- there you go! better :)Krassy
- Canada is a weird place in some places.monospaced
Six figures. Wow. Now it's getting scary. This is out of control.
- Meh, we got some train wrecks on the horizon, UK, France, Spain and Italy is not done. But China is doing peachy...robotron3k
- Lots of patients have a serious co-morbid illness but then get the virus. If they die the doctor subjectively choose the reason. They got Covid on their mind.robotron3k
America is fucked when democrats chose Hillary and Biden over him.
- Sanders is a clownernexbcn
- We're damned if we do, damned if we don'tutopian
- a clown that defends castro and chavez? I wouldn't be surprised if he has nice things to say about Erdoğanhotroddy
- Everything Bernie has been campaigning for has come to pass during this crisis. Yet NONE of the media has said a thing about it. Imagine that.brandonp
- and I'm outjaylarson
Just checked. Over 18,000 new cases today and Donnie is still fucking about like a bitter 3rd grader.
You ARE fucked
This thread really needs more Draplin
- Except that's what any responsible gov should do...pango
- How many accounts does Hayomook have?utopian
- chris is fuller shitBluejam
- A comment on that instagram still called it a hoax. Weird fucking people. Honestly.PhanLo
- made the mistake at looking at some of the other stuff he posts, fucking hellBluejam
- I forget people like that exist, I thought they were all bots.PhanLo
Homeless people self isolating in a Vegas car park. Isn't Vegas full of hotels? With nobody in them?
- over here they are opening hotels for homeless people who are waiting for their covid resultsBennn
- They managed to house all the homeless miraculously over here too. 3 weeks ago it would have seemed impossible.PhanLo
- the casinos have the balls to be asking for bailout $... yeah, they're hurting but at least house these people—the buidlings are empty and NV can pay utilitiesPonyBoy
- God this is the best and most tremendous country in the world.utopian
- BEST? I think only Americans think it's the greatest place on the planet... Having lived there for only a year, it's made me never want to go backnecromation