- Last post
- 48 Responses
ALWAYS OUT OF DATE.
Fuck off. Just fuck off.
The most out-dated thing on it is the fucking landing page. Utter dicks.
Really as you all might know already.
First it was out of date for Firefox.
Installed everything was fine.
Two days later...out of date for Safari.
Today Safari again...
That and the instant Update warnings in my System...
So, my hacker/programmer/geek housemate just came back from his weekend today...
"Flash is dead. You should stop using Flash and visiting websites that need Flash. Adobe doesn't give a fun and do any maintenance for Flash. Use HTML 5 instead. It's not as nice or neat but it's possible. You just need to change your settings. Fuck Flash."
He almost said Long Live Linux...
But this was another issue.
So, up Tuesday I will go deeper in this HTML 5 stuff...
And try to start living without Flash.
It's so sad who Adobe gave up on Flash. They could have fought for it a little bit.
- They don't give a fun.nb
- Can't compete with a Goliath like Apple. I am amazed they bothered to keep it this long. Sad.formed
- Leave apple out of it. At the time the iPhone was the underdog and was limited. Adobe had a chance to win.monospaced
- It was after the first iPad when the war escalated.CyBrainX
- lol mono http://cdn.meme.li/i…Hombre_Lobo
- yeh its a shame. sadly apple is a much bigger tech influence than adobe.Hombre_Lobo
- makes no sense why people let a tech company tell them what web formats are good or bad. what next, no gifs?Hombre_Lobo
- Apple didn't though. They were just one phone among many. And EVERYONE thought they would fail.monospaced
- Anyone and everyone else could have supported flash and kept it alive. Fact remains that flash still exists and can still be mobile.monospaced
- Flash was already dead, Jobs only noticed it before others. I loved Flash as a dev and in 2007 I saw it was on its way out.raf
- It was not dead before Jobs started the war. Google was behind Flash big time.CyBrainX
- I still get frustrated just thinking about it. Flash had a lot of potential that alternatives haven't come close to matching.CyBrainX
- It was dead, Adobe had killed it by ditching designers and trying to make it a software platform for Java programmers.raf
- Most good Flash designers I knew never learned AS3. They put a lot of effort into learning AS2, were sick of Adobe pulling the rug.raf
- All apple did was say their underdog phone didn't support flash. That is not a war my friend. Not even closemonospaced
- And if Google was backing them, what the fuck went wrong?monospaced
- What went wrong was Adobe gave up. They could have improved/adapted it like all their other software on a yearly basis.CyBrainX
If you don't need Flash for work, just get it off your computer. The internet is fine without it.
Note that some malware / popup-ware tries to fake people out by pretending it us a flash player update... its pretty obvious to most techies but not everyone
I wonder when Adobe will officially pull the plug on Flash. Maybe about 10 years?
Flash is still huge with ad banners. That will keep it going for a while.
- "flash only used for banner ads"
#1 reason to remove
- Yeah, but ads pay $$$ to sites. Sites aren't going to say no to loot.fyoucher1
- Don't remove it if you're the one working on those ads.CyBrainX
- Heh, yeah, plus I get loot, so def don't give it upfyoucher1
- "flash only used for banner ads"
I still don't quite get why Adobe didn't and hasn't yet pushed through a mobile standard for flash. I still feel like that window is open and they'd be welcomed through.
Flash animation app will still exist but will export out html5 animation instead of SWF.
It seems like ever week you need to update your Flash Player and or Acrobat.
Looking back now, I see an obvious limitation that flash had when transitioning to mobile.
Nearly all flash sites were 'above the fold' and the flash movie couldn't talk to browser scrollbar very well and movie dimensions had to be pre defined.
Then came responsive websites trend which made scrolling websites a huge trend.
I never saw any solutions for this with my time using Flash and actionscript.
I personally still love designing above the fold websites but you have to abandon the design for mobile.
Even beeg doesn't use flash.