Ask the UK of the Day
Ask the UK of the Day
- Last post
- 105 Responses
Why did you vote for Brexit, you fucking idiots?
- I chortled.Continuity
- They got confused by bus adverts.garbage
- our benefits system is not reciprocated in other eu countries so we got an influx of people taking advantage of it. cheap foreign labour undercutting uk biz.trooperbill
- Cameron got cocky after success in the Scottish Indyref. Migrant influx from the middle east (islam is v unpopular amongst the non chattering classes).Phrenological
- Pressure on public services (health, housing). Wages driven down by freedom of moevment laws. Gypsy street beggars,Phrenological
- Mission creep from the EU. ... loads of reasons budPhrenological
- because they want independence.....
- another Doris account?face_melter
- Unsure whether this is Robo pretending to be Scottish, Kuz, or some entirely unconsidered entity.Nairn
- Yeah, if anybody verfies Phrenological we'll have a lead.garbage
- oh it's Robo, as was Doris and Shabby. Blatantly obvious surely?fadein11
- You got jealous of our massively stupid bigotry in the US?CyBrainX
what is your regional chip shop speciality?
- chips in a soft bread bun. Nether understood it myself. Chip butty the call it.shapesalad
- Does that have butter on it? Does that make it a “butty”?scarabin
- yup, slang for sandwich coming from the constant ingredients of bread and butter.Wolfboy
- we have chip butties here too, generally not buttered. there are a few things like saveloys that are unique to england and seem to become less common up northkingsteven
- or pea fritters (i've only seen them in the south). here you wouldn't get a half chicken or a pickled egg in a chippy and if you ask for a pastie you'll get akingsteven
- deep fried burger made of potato and pork. scotland has pizza crunch and various other glorious deep fried monstrosities. feel like im only scratching thekingsteven
- surface though. i've heard mince meat in a bap is a thing in certain parts of scotland. i dont think i've ever been in a chippy in wales but they must be up tokingsteven
- some mad shite. i need an infographic :Dkingsteven
- I'd say, as a rule of thumb, the further north you go, the more things they batter and stick in the fryer.Wolfboy
- that makes for an easy infographic https://i.imgur.com/…kingsteven
- chats. small new potatoes cut in half then deep friedtrooperbill
- A fad in the early 2000s of sticking chocolate bars in the deep fat fryer up here in Scotland. Best was Biscuit Boost!microkorg
Is arse pronounced like rrrrrssss or like ausss
- haha, rrrrrrsssss is the irish pronunciationkingsteven
Why do give the US shit about not using metric but still measure your weight in “stone”?
- And is it true you won’t measure your dicks in cm?scarabin
- human height in feet and inches too, weight, pints and miles. i think all other contexts its metric? right?kingsteven
- Scarabin's got a valid point.pango
- How heavy is a stone anyway? A big Stone or small stone?pango
- What about a rock? or a pebble? or a group of seagulls?helloeatbreathedrive
- I am 160lbs, please count me in stones.garbage
- Are Yank/UK lbs the same? Pints are different & I think stones might be. And that's before we get on to the height of a horse. Fuck all that imperial bullshit.Wolfboy
- is UK stone bigger or US stone bigger?pango
- i didn't think they used stone in the states. just lbs. and i think it's always just 14lbs (which are the same)kingsteven
- Yeah, I'm wrong on that. The lb is the same and there isn't a US stone. But dogs can look up. @Garbage You're 11st 6lbWolfboy
- I cant believe American pints are 20% smaller. Something that screws with Brits in N.Ireland our spirit measures are 35ml rather than your 25, no idea why.kingsteven
- American pint is the same as anywhere.monospaced
- apparently not - US is 473 ml UK is 568 mlkingsteven
- ^ that is true.pango
- sadly some restaurants here serves american pint and some serves regular pint.pango
- we kind of just adopt everything....
even when buying produce... some labels use lb and some use kg... T_Tpango
- ok but what is your weight in kidney stones?!%sted
- I'M 11st 6lb stones?! Metric please, otherwise I'm calling Jenny Craig.garbage
- 11 6 is mid 70s kg. Teeny tiny lightweight for a man.Phrenological
- ^ you mean pretty much bang on healthy BMI for someone 6' 4" :Dkingsteven
- In Ulster - 35ml is approx 1/4 Gill (the traditional unit of spirits). Scotland the traditional uni was 1/5 Gill, hence the size difference.Phrenological
- @Phren Nah, I'm actually just in really good shape.garbage
What’s the difference between a “ham” and a “shire”?
- The Queen, by law, can kill the inhabitants of a 'ham' whereas 'shire' residents are merely slaves.face_melter
- What’s the deal with Birminghamshire?scarabin
- You know the Thunderdome from Mad Max 3? It's like that but everyone sounds like Ozzy Osbourneface_melter
- *packs bags*scarabin
- I am a resident of Birminghamshire and can confirm that my neighbours are Black Sabbath, Napalm Death and Godflesh. We have interesting barbecues, especially...Morning_star
- ...when Ozzy and Robert Plant get on the acid.Morning_star
- I know that area Morning_star, isn't it this neighbourhood?: https://www.youtube.…Wolfboy
- Ha ha. Yes, that’s the house down the road that no one talks about.Morning_star
- This is the best thread.garbage
Is it true you put barbecue sauce on french toast?
- And you call it “eggy bread”???scarabin
- no and no :|kingsteven
- WOAH Kingsteven! I think you'll find the answer is no and yes. And Scarabin, you may be thinking the sauce is BBQ, but it is actually Brown Sauce or HP Sauce.Wolfboy
- HP Sauce
- What is the best thing to put HP sauce on?scarabin
- Food. It's that good I don't need to round it down. But if you insist, a bacon butty.Wolfboy
- Cool, coolscarabin
- I went to school right next to the main HP factory (no longer there). The smell at break times was sometimes unbearable.fadein11
- I can imagine it was a bit much; like when you drive into a brewery town.Wolfboy
- Hah, i have heard it called eggy bread as a colloquialism, but they would know what its actually called. right? People put HP on it? i have not lived.kingsteven
- The best thing to put HP on is the shelf.Nairn
- ^ pretty much. actual tamarind sauce is great though.kingsteven
- I keep meaning to give that a try. K, i'm buying a bottle from one of the SE Asian food shops I'm blessed with near home.
Thanks for the recommend!Nairn
- HAGGIS! Haggis is the best thing to have with 'brown (HP) sauce'.microkorg
How many maths are there?
- How many mathematics are there?Continuity
- The 's' at the end of the word would suggest otherwise. Hence, the abbreviation 'maths'.Continuity
- 3 main branches. Functional analysis, abstract algebra and topology&geometrydrgs
Why are there only three seasons of Father Ted?
- because the s3 wrap party was quite the party :(kingsteven
- not UKfadein11
- Well, Black Books thenscarabin
- No kingsteven. Dermot Morgan was simply moved to a more remote island, and he's just resting there.garbage
- Father Ted is a British show tho. Linehan is currently working with top TERF scientists to reanimate the cast.kingsteven
- Whoa, i didn’t know he was anti-transscarabin
- ^ yeah, he's a fucking arsehole. Got thrown off Twitter for deadnaming someone if I remember correctly, amongst other things.face_melter
- Linehan is a shithead, but Father Ted still keeps me warm. It's one of the few times I divorce the art from the artist.garbage
- The day after recording the series' final episode, (Dermot Morgan) Father Ted suffered a heart attack at his home in south-west LondonGardener
- No Gardener. Dermot Morgan was moved to a more remote island, and he is simply resting there.garbage
- Oh damnscarabin
- this is more efficient in terms of traffic flow.renderedred
- Went round this once in a Berlingo while looking for the Citroen garage because our brakes had gone during a tour. Swindon is a unique place on earth.kingsteven
- look kids... Big Ben... ...Parliament!!PonyBoy
Can you do a pretty good american accent?
- We have a munchkin filter for thatfadein11
- derp de derp derp derp 'murica!trooperbill
- A no would sufficescarabin
Why can’t i get through a single episode of Doctor Who?
- Each post gets funnier.monospaced
- The old or new Doctor Who ? the old is the shiti_was
- The new. Last i heard was some nonsense about flying space dragons laying magical eggs and now the doctor is a woman?scarabin
- What series of the old stuff should i start on?scarabin
- Fucking lolmaquito
- Oh I don't remember, was looong time ago, start with first episode? Yep and new looks so fucking dumb.i_was
- the new one? cuz its shittrooperbill
- The Tom Baker run is God-tier. Production is wobbly, but the writing is excellent. And Tom just revels in the character, a joy to watch.face_melter
- John Pertwee and Tom Baker era have some great episode arcsPhrenological
- Davidson, McCoy not so great. The newer 'woke' stuff is shite.Phrenological
- Noted, thanksscarabin
- Dr Who has always been shitemrAtor
Did Wallace and Gromit really visit the moon or was it all just a bunch of CG trickery?
What’s the recipe for beans on toast?
- add worscester sauce and put melted cheese on top.trooperbill
- Mid-browned Toast.
Lurpak butter, lots.
Perhaps a dash of Yorkshire Relish.Nairn
- Oh, and Heinz beans only.Nairn
- Bread, ideally, should be two crust-ends from a thick cut 'plastic loaf' of bread.
Amount of butter should border upon the obscene.Nairn
How long until the UK breaks up?
- I'll answer my own question Jan 2021 Scotland declare independence. N. Ireland reluctantly join Ireland. Wales say something by no one understands a word of it.shapesalad
How long until you kick Boris out?
- When the inbred old fuckers who run this shipwreck of a country decide he's outlived his usefulness the press barons will decide who they want next.Wolfboy
- My guess is 9 months to a year. The next PM will be Sunak or Gove.Wolfboy
- he's doing a great job! how dare you :)fadein11
- Sunak looks pretty good actuallygrafician
- on TV, but Sunak is a tiny person, shorter than Macron. Not that there's anything wrong with that but it's going to play against him within the party for sure.kingsteven
- Sunak and Macron sound Romulan or somethingscarabin
- I'd trust a Romulan more than I'd trust Sunak.Wolfboy
- Council Housed And Violent.Morning_star
- That's the Spice Girls, you twat.face_melter
- I wouldn’t say they were Chav’s. More like scutters. Your typical Chav is a little more embracing of counterfeit high end fashion labels, particularly Burberry.Morning_star
- that's a pretty diverse picture.oey_oey
- Is this a CHAV or a Scutter? https://hips.hearsta…scarabin
- These people ex pats from the USA.utopian
- Sportsdirect bag, lol, I think the one on the right is even more vilei_was
- This is reason why as a English gentleman my ex-girlfriends and now wife have all been foreign babes.shapesalad
- Kate Middleton is the only UK girl worth dating.shapesalad
- There's a certain type of person who states bluntly they'll never date their own. Typically implies any perceived failing lies with them.Nairn
- As for the photo, up North they're just..
- if the lighting wasn't so typically grey and depressing any of these individuals could be American.fadein11