- Last post
- 120 Responses
Production on the first Star Wars live-action streaming series has begun! After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic. The series will be written and executive produced by Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau, as previously announced, with Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode. Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok). It will be executive produced by Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. Karen Gilchrist will serve as co-executive producer.
I guess Disney doesn't think that what happened to Star Trek in the early 00s — death by oversaturation (four series in a row, with overlap) — is going to happen to Star Wars.
Hell, apparently CBS doesn't think what happened to Star Trek in the early 00s will happen to Star Trek, either!
Thats some serious talent. I have a theory that Bryce Dallas Howard is getting a shot at directing episodes as the Mandalorian is Sabine Wren from Rebels and Bryce Dallas Howard has ben cast Wren.
Excited to see how Filoni handles the chair in Live action too.
oh well ...
sweet. hope it has some balls to it and not just for kids.
OMG.. FINALLY all the boba lover have something to jerk off to. Then shortly complain it isn't canon because back in 1987 in some obscure comic he was blah blah blah and his personality was blah blah blah oh my GOD.. that is the wrong blue and green Pantone, I could of made it better...and FUCK Star Wars, making too many *oh cool, another marvel movie..., gross DC movie let me hate on it before I see it..... chugs red bull gets on boards 'fake rage'
*insert coming soon the internet
joking aside. Hope it's good. love the idea of bounty hunters as a series. hope it has that dark sons of anarchy / game of thrones vibe and darker tones vs a live action clone wars cheesy fest.
- Agreed, hopefully it will be a little dark and not so "family" oriented. But whatever, they just want to sell more merchandise.Maaku
- I hope it's light hearted, has bounty hunter wahmen doing bounty hunting stuff and has plenty of vagina jokes.robthelad
- ^ So, basically, you want to watch Deadpool and Deadpool 2.Continuity
Filmmaker Jon Favreau has used his Instagram account to post a new photo from the set of the upcoming live-action “Star Wars” series “The Mandalorian,” a shot of a key prop featured in the action.
Making Star Wars has looked into it and discovered the prop, a weapon known as an ‘Amban phase-pulse blaster’, is the same one used by Boba Fett in the much-maligned “Star Wars Holiday Special”.
- Looks like a steampunk musket rifle with a cattle prod attached.monospaced
- dorky as fuck... like this whole fucking franchise has become :/PonyBoy
- The man loves his music. That is one serious tuning fork.ETM
- Are those boxes from Portal?Continuity
I don't understand the fascination so many Star Wars fans have with Boba Fett. He was a bounty hunter without much of a backstory at all.
- It's a little bit like some kind or rarity obsession. Like how people love horrible shoes that were produced in limited runs.PhanLo
- I thought he was cool when I was 10 though, the outfit was good. He was a terrible bounty hunter it turned out.PhanLo
- That's the power of a cool mask.dopepope
- I don't understand the fascination with Star Wars, it's all made up and scientific facts would dispute all of it. Much like religion...shapesalad
- Star Wars was a mashup of genres, which at the time was quite exciting. There's loads of pseudo religious stuff in it too.PhanLo
- The recipe is simple: he had a cool action figure and he can fly.zarkonite
- I still think the Force is a better religious concept than any major religion.CyBrainX
- Cool name. cool weapons, cool spaceship. That's the trifecta for little kids - who are now adults.stoplying
- Fuck Star Wars. All of it. Fuck it to hell.PublicVoice
- Simple. Because he was cool. And Vader was down.prophetone
^ I just commented:
"I don't understand the fascination with Star Wars, it's all made up and scientific facts would dispute all of it. Much like religion..."
Thinking more around that point, perhaps now I can see why people are so fanatical around religions and so defensive if you insult their religion - Religions are like Star Wars. Lord help you if you say to a Star Wards fan you don't like Star Wards, can't be bothered to watch it, were never into it as a kid... blasphemy.
- oh FFS apple's stupid auto correct spelling nonsense. fuck that shite. always messing my typing up! Ward! Wars you moron apple.shapesalad
- time for bed...shapesalad
- It's just not science fiction, it's fantasy in space.zarkonite
- Look at game of thrones, total ass shit overcomplicated story but people love it because it's a mess. Since nothing makes sense you can pretty much arguezarkonite
- on everything and interpret it how you want... just like religion!zarkonite
- I had some questions but thought Game of Thrones was pretty coherent.CyBrainX
- People don't love Star Wars because they think all of it can happen. It's as much fantasy as Sci Fi anyway.CyBrainX
I think bounty hunters including Boba Fett are about the least interesting thing the franchise has to offer.
i'm not so sure about this. as much as i love star wars and its universe, there's a lack of intrigue here. and while "rogue one" offered a lot in terms of plot and still managed to bring in the jedi mysticism, this feels more like i'm going to be watching NYPD blue or some shit with masks and effects.
i get boba fett brings in the $ but part of his intrigue was the minor role in the original trilogy ... better call saul proves you can take supporting characters and make them a centerpiece but even this trailer relies heavily on the "hey it's a star wars thing!" nostalgia instead of any proof of poignancy
- I think it opens up possibilities to treat this like an anthology as sorts with boba Fett as the common thread but different stories & adventures each episode_niko
- But let's face it. Boba Fett was a nearly useless character. Did he even have any lines until they showed him as a child in Attack of the Clones?CyBrainX
- I have to have more of a motivation to see a movie than some kids in 1983 thought his helmet was cool.CyBrainX
- it's not Boba Fett lol, why does everyone think it is. Kind of wish it was but alas not, it just happens the helmet was quite common back then.fadein11
Werner Herzog is in the trailer!
I for one, am pretty excited about it. I remember Boba always being one bad mother f'er as a kid. Excited to see more of the back story on him. The tone and mood looks excellent. As someone mentioned earlier, it has the "Rogue" thing going on. I believe if they stay true to a high production level, should be gem with that cast.
Watched the first episode, anyone else seen it yet?
Thought it was ok-ish. Pretty Star-Warsy. Music was a bit weird/cheap sounding.
- I enjoyed it, decent opener. Felt more SW than the god awful sequels. Design was superb throughout I thought.fadein11
- Were did you watched it?ApeRobot
I really liked it; the bounty droid, ending and overall pace hooks you in pretty quickly. That ending, though!ideaist
- Music was pretty bad. Why'd they retcon IG-88? They made him out to be a total wuss. Ruined the idea of him.DRIFTMONKEY
- it wasn't IG-88, same model, different unit.fadein11
- all models are IG-88monospaced
- he's called IG-11 so I beg to differ.fadein11
- waiting until January so i can binge. Can't wait! what i've seen so far is quite goodjaylarson
- "Unreal Engine, a game engine developed by Epic Games, is used to create the digital backgrounds. It makes the rendering of the visual effects faster...grafician
- Effects and design straight out of 1997 battle starmonospaced
Jawas and furry rhinos!
I'd skip Episode1. Is pretty bad and b-grade imo... except for Herzog.
But Ep 2 is amazing damn. Love the fantasy + roaming samurai vibe. Felt like watching an old anime or studio gibli film.
- MAN... Ep.1 was great! it really set the tone for what is to come. i'm no SW fanboy, but this made me member why i fell in love with it all as a kid.necromation
- interested to know what you didn't like in Ep1? I thought it was a great setup with plenty of action, intrigue and a great surprise at the end.fadein11
- the cheesy blue alien with American accent. the generic reptile henchman guys getting shot. overall cheap Star Trek feeling.inteliboy
- I agree. And yet there’s something beyond that.monospaced
It feels rushed, but I like it.
The whole first episode I couldn't help think about how goofy the whole thing felt. There's a distinct low budget quality to it that it's hard to put my finger on. The cinematography, dialogue and especially the practical effects came together to make something that was almost like a 90s sitcom version of Star Wars. It's like they went out of their way to make sure that the puppet lips never synced to dialogue and a lot of characters just felt like people in makeup.
It was like a spaghetti western of sci-fi, which maybe was what Star Wars is all about, and once I realised this I was able to relax and start to enjoy. You're supposed to laugh!
Then the final scenes began, and I couldn't help rolling my eyes at the goofy ass droid. But it moments later, during the big shootout, the child-like nerd in me got super excited. The goofiness transformed into serious sci-fi, and then the big reveal gave me a triple-replay nerdgasm.
They paced that goofiness to serious reveal nicely. Then the second episode balanced out. Can't wait to see how it shapes up.
- The right amount of cheese.DRIFTMONKEY
- I concur, it hit the right notes, people just forgot what those notes were after recent efforts.fadein11
- I still think they should invest in a bit of top-class CG for the humanoids and creatures. Muppet style movements don't fly anymore. Looks cheap and fake.monospaced
- The creatures he rode on the sand planet weren't great but even Last Jedi suffered from that shit, worse even. Ep 3 was fun also.fadein11
- exactly thisinteliboy
- Why would you downvote the first assessment of the show? If you have an issue say so don’t be a bitch.monospaced