- Last post
- 13 Responses
I was just there last week and am going back next week.
There are fun bars in Deep Ellum, Bishop Arts, Lower Greenville, and Uptown and great restaurants all over. You'll find cool art galleries in the Design District and the Dallas Arts District is one of the World's largest, boasting a "who's who" of World-class venues designed by folks like Barnes, Pei, Piano, Foster, Prince-Ramos, Koolhaas, Mayne, etc.
Dallas is a major city with a lot to do, so it really boils down to what you're into, but definitely eat BBQ at Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum (get there early...the line wraps around the block at busy times) and visit the Nasher Sculpture Center in the Arts District.
- oh man. good looking out mondo! do you go out there often?capn_ron
- Yeah, pretty often. I was born here in SD but grew up in Big D.MondoMorphic
- deep ellum - clubs and tattoo shops
lower greenville - clubs and frat boysjohnny_wobble
- One other suggestion, go to Klyde Warren Park. The bartenders at Savor (in the park) are exceedingly friendly which usually manifests itself as free drinks.MondoMorphic
- Second Pecan Lodge! You can skip the regular line if you order The Trough from the express line. A little of everything and feeds 4–5 people.turnerworks
- Second Deep Ellum - Pecan Lodge is the shit and there's a good little bar/record store in the area too that I forget the name of.ben_
- ^ Off the Recordturnerworks
We tend to like the vibes of dive bars, or breweries if that spurs any ideas as well.
FYI, BBQ will be had. Sounds like pecan lodge is a good spot.
- You'll want Deep Ellum and Lower Greenville then. They're both a little like Northpark/Southpark. Deep Ellum Brewing Co. and Brain Dead Brewing are both goodMondoMorphic
- see if there's anything happening at The Double Widejohnny_wobble
- Re. BBQ, Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum and Lockhart in Bishop Arts are the best.MondoMorphic
- Lakewood Brewery toojohnny_wobble
- oh yeah. that's a good amount of spots to hopefully check out. thanks guys.capn_ron
Taste? Anything you guys dislike in particular? Type of food?
DMA is the art museum between downtown and uptown.
Deep Ellum, informal neighborhood east of downtown is basically 3 parallel street that has a bunch of different bars & restaurants that about 4 blocks. There are 2 breweries in Deep Ellum, Brain Dead, and Deep Ellum Brewing Co. Good and comfortable for bar hopping, nice murals, everything is close and there's something for everyone. Try Pecan Lodge for BBQ and Emporium Pies, right next, for their awesome pies.
Uptown, like Deep Ellum, offers a variety of different bars and restaurants, the scene is a little snobbier and the crowd might be younger sometimes?
Bishop Art District, southwest of downtown (or Oak Cliff), is a quieter and smaller Deep Ellum.
There are other things, it all depends on what you want to do.
Cidercade is a cider brewing company that has a large room full of arcades. You pay $10 and can play everything for free. I'd go to a beer brewery, first, and then move on there for some retro fun.
- Yup, typos everywhere... paying attention to my meeting as I type this :)Maaku
- that Cidercade sounds like a blast. Her and I love playing arcade games with adult beverages in hand. Thanks Maaku.capn_ron
- awe crap! cidercade is closed right now for upgrades. just looked it up.capn_ron
- There's another place called Free Play in Richardson. Similar conceptturnerworks
You could sneak into the observation deck of Reunion Tower after it closes to have it to yourself. Go up the elevator to the restaurant level, go through the door across from it and down some stairs and out another door to the observation area. Just make sure you stick something in the door to keep it from locking behind you! :)
- Dallas Stars game Saturday, if you're into hockeyjohnny_wobble
- maybe something happening at the Texas Theater, where Lee Harvey Oswald hid out.johnny_wobble
- oh hell yeah! this could be a thursday night thing when we get in.capn_ron
- LOL, be careful, haven't done it in years. Ever heard "went to Texas on vacation, came home on probation."?johnny_wobble
- haha. haven't heard that, but hey, probation is better than dying.capn_ron
You can also find several megachurches and GET RIGHT WITH JESUS
find the traveling man
Go to south oak cliff to score some drugs if you are into getting robbed and/or murdered.
Ron, Cedar Springs is a lot like Hillcrest here in SD, so that's where you'll end up if you're looking for a drag show.
my guess is that we will find a drag show on saturday, so that should be a blast also.