Moving to Canada
- Last post
- 51 Responses
Finally have things squared away to the point that I can start looking in to moving north. Any recommendations for places that are more suburban but still have job potential for a web developer? I've been to Vancouver a few times and really loved it but didn't have a chance to check out the outlying areas.
Also, if anyone here has moved from the US to Canada before send any tips or such, they'd be much appreciated!
- Definitely beautiful, not sure about the job market there though and being on an islandhereswhatidid
- Filmed during their one week of summer.i_monk
Nova Scotia, Halifax is cool. Dont know about the job tho. But dont come to Montreal, LEAVE OUR JOBS ALONE!!
- My French is pretty poor so I'd have one strike against me alreadyhereswhatidid
- Ha! So's mine. 7 years of it in school... can barely speak it.ETM
- Can sing 'Le Petit Poisson' and 'Frère Jacques' like a boss though.ETM
Just don't get mixed up with the Halifax in West near where I grew up.
I'm in Toronto - definitely not suburban, but you might consider the west or east ends of the city (roncessvailles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron… / lesliville http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les…) They're both about a 20 min commute from the core and much better culturally IMHO.
- most creative jobs are in the coreJulesvm
- toronto is cool, the suburbs suck dinosaur ass.... and unfortunately the suburb vote elects the mayor!vaxorcist
- < trueJulesvm
also - be prepared to spend a whole bunch more on all products (especially booze) than in the states.
Tonnes of jobs here in Newfie...
- Any drawbacks with it being on an island? Food/goods pricing, etc..?hereswhatidid
Moved from Toronto to NYC 10 years ago. Love the city! Hate the 13% HST.
Toronto = work and money
Vancouver=slower pace, rain, bc bud
Calgary=oil money, lots and lots of dirty oil money
Quebec city= the closest North America has to Old europe.
- How about Ottawa? It seems to rank consistently high on the places to live chartshereswhatidid
- are you single? do you have kids or a wife?_niko
- Wife and 2 kids, both under 5.hereswhatidid
- Ottawa's great then as is Toronto and anywhere in Ontario for raising a family._niko
- That's what I've been reading. Really wanted to move now that the kids are not quite school agehereswhatidid
- but old enough to handle a move without too much madness.hereswhatidid
Also you'll need to become a hockey fan if you're not one already, and if you do love hockey you'll want to avoid Toronto, they havent had a team in over 50 years.
- Coming from MN so that won't be a problemhereswhatidid
Come to Toronto!
Most of the jobs are here anyway.
- Housing costs there kinda freak me out.hereswhatidid
- They freak everyone out.i_monk
- There are more condos being built here than anywhere else in the world.i_monk
- you don't want to raise kids in a codo though..._niko
- Yeah, that's the stickler for Toronto, otherwise that would definitely be the place.hereswhatidid
vancouver yo, teh freshmaker. yoga pants and a loaded starbucks card mandatory tho.
- you can acquire these items on any street corner in the city, which is convenientprophetone
note: way colder in Ottawa than toronto.
- I'm in MN now so it's about the same from what I can tell.hereswhatidid
- yup, you understand cold then. former minneapolis native here :)lvl_13
you can get large condos for 300,000$ in Montreal
- what do you do? Do you have a couch I can crash on, I want to check this place out.fooler
- I'm just a designer.. freelance for agencies from the comfort of my forrest.bogue
- and of course... always a couch to crash on if you're ever in town.bogue
- I seriously want to ride Baldface someday.fooler
- i've been up a few times to baldface. It's pretty ridiculous.bogue
Come for the trollies in Toronto.
Good luck in junior America.
- you mean "good-looking america"prophetone
- Nope, I mean JUNIOR America.dirtydesign
ya Vancouver is not bad if you like yoga pants. people even wear that to work here. Jobs market looking pretty good compare to 2 years ago. housing market is the gay tho.
Stay out of my territory!!