- Last post
- 35 Responses
the only people who hate money are the ones who think they need more of it.
I wonder how much Sorrell knew about it. He's moving the firm's HQ back to London soon, now there's a government that suits his tax preferences.
yes... my grandparents are from England... yes, I've got lots of relatives there, but Maggie Thatcher 's decision to order a British submarine to deliberately torpedo a retreating Argentine ship so that Argentina would have more casualties than England... this is NOT something to be proud of.. it's the sort of thing that's called a "war crime" if you lose the war and is swept under the rug if you win.....
quotes... yes, I know war sucks, but the British are supposed to play by the rules, they're supposed to be the fair side, but sometimes they really aren't....
" At 3pm, a pattern of Mark 8 torpedoes was launched from a nuclear submarine at the Belgrano. The ship was still 35 miles away from the Exclusion Zone. She was hit by two torpedoes and started to sink. ... This fact, combined with poor weather and ice cold waters meant that some 368 sailors were left to die. "
- Its called war. You should complain when one of your boats gets sunk. Invading the Falklands was a war crime.qTime
- the British loudly proclaimed a zone they would not attack in, then ignored it!vaxorcist
- Hey Vax, you need to be aware of ALL the facts. They paint an entirely different picture.Morning_star
Who expressed pride in this? No one is talking about pride in the Falkland's war. Your statement may indeed be fact but it is pure hyperbole that has nothing actually to do with current state of affairs.
The sinking of The General Belgrano is an issue in and of itself - as was a military dictatorship claiming the Malvinas by force.
So you want to sink a British ship to make it equal?...
I realize I'm considered a wrong idiot ... who fucking cares
THATCHER DESERVES TO DIE, she ruined the country my relatives live in, they hate her guts so much if they ever met her, somebody would die.
- < Very few disagree with this. So no one thinks you're a 'wrong idiot' :)babaganush
- I'll admit it, the Y&R thing isn't that out of the ordinary, just the usual fucking psycopathic public schoolboy bullshitvaxorcist
- Thatcher did more good to Argentina than the UKqTime
The sinking of the Belgrano was justified because it posed a threat to British lives. It was only 30 miles from the exclusion zone.
But hey this is just a distraction from the fact a military government invaded a foreign land.
The same government that also 'disappeared' 30 000 of its own people.
The UK did Argentina a favor in helping get rid of a fascist government. But hey we never received any thanks for that.
I can mellow out now.... Thatcher's mass murder is not something an ad agency should commemorate.... it trashes our industry's reputation even more than the Saatchi's did....
Gibraltar españooool !!!
qTime maybe this did help cause the Argentine dictatorship to die... that would be a good thing, I have no respect for them either. But Maggie crossed the line, no matter what anyone says.
The Belgrano was a WWII american ship on its last legs compared to the nuclear powered attack submarines, harrier jets and state of the art British ships of the 80s....
- and Thatcher LIED, saying the Belgrado was NOT retreating, later revealed that it WAS retreating...vaxorcist
- 'moving away' is not the same as 'retreating' now calm the fuck down you lunatic.detritus
- Jesus, for someone so fundamantally detached from that decade you sure are shrill and hysterical.detritus
- It actually was a threat to British ships as it has a shed ton of missiles on board. But hey dropping a nuke on a civilian population is much greater a crime.qTime
- in Japan is much worse a crime.qTime
Hold on Vax - is it only your grandparents who are from Britain? Not your parents, directly?
Why on Earth are you going so looney tunes here? I doubt you have much awareness beyond your grandparents' prejudices on the matter...
I'm sorry they had such a bad time of it - but things were hardly rosy before the Thatcher years and the whole world changed around during her tenureship, so it's more than a bit simplistic to blame her for all of the perceived ills.
The sinking of the Belgrano was a command decision, with Thatcher obviously the ultimate voice on the matter... but unless you have fuck all faith in the society that's cradled you and your forebears, you have to expect the chain of command to stream both ways. Clearly it was decided by the military that it was the right decision, clearly Thatcher agreed.
Hindsight is always perfect - the fact is, that action took the entire Argentine blue water navy out of the Falkland's theatre for the remainder of the war. If the Belgrano hadn't been sunk, who's to say it wouldn't've soon turned around (as was anticipated, hence the torpedoing) to support other ships in the area, to create a pincer movement? Who's to say that action didn't shorten the war considerably, saving the lives of a bunch of miserable Argentine conscripts drafted into futile cause by a bunch of fascists?
Thatcher's an easy puppet-hate figure, but goddamn if that sentiment doesn't continually get taken too far.
- I'll mellow out.... I lived in england in 87 neav Coventry...vaxorcist
- I grew up going back and forth every so often... summers as a kid,etc... I'll mellow out...vaxorcist
- heard my relatives cursing Maggie all the time.... . no love for Argentine dictators either....vaxorcist
Viva las Malvinas!
Mierda para los ingleses...
Viva la liberdad!
Groenlandia para los Inuits!
I know perfectly well I'm off the deep end.... just mentioning Maggie's name makes me want to punch a wall... probably just something subliminal I experienced spending time with my relatives who hated her... breathe deep.. after all, her son certainly needed a large splodge of wonga he never got.....
Dont believe the poison troll
Sir Martin Sorrell, founder and chief executive of communications giant WPP, meanwhile, told the Daily Telegraph: "The ad is totally, and I mean totally, unacceptable.