- Last post
- 40 Responses
Is an $85k salary job for a graphic designer with 7 years experience too low?
Depends where you live, I guess.
not if your name is jim it ain't
plus some company benefits?
great for l.a. - good for n.y.
still, you will have to drop your 3k/mo. loft. :-)
pends on your skills
what are you coming from?
i know, a senior designer (in l.a.) who works at major law firm. he gets 90k.
if you think about it like this.. 85K is equal to almost the same thing as 119K... meaning after taxes, you will bring home relatively the same amount.. the bring home number changes at $145k.. this is when you dont see the taxes getting taken out.. everything under 145k to 119k has a higher tax bracket on it, and after taxes is almost same as 85k-119k..
but always the more you get the better.. or worse.. depending..
" if you think about it like this.. 85K is equal to almost the same thing as 119K... meaning after taxes, you will bring home relatively the same amount.. "
what the fuck? no. you get taxed only according to the income you receive in each threshold.
so if you earn $130k and the tax bracket changes at $119k, $119k of your income gets taxed at the lower %, and the rest ($21k) gets taxed at the higher %.
- that's what I thoughtrandommail
- HA. No. all of your 130k income is taxed at the higher %.VikingKingEleven
- Yep.. you are taxed % on full amount.. it's a disaster.. when I passed $120k a year it started feeling pretty much like a robbery.Boz
- a robbery.Boz
- believe me i know what i am talking about.. i am in that higher tax bracket.epilI
- word the up to getting bumped to the next. how about its so hard to buy property right now tho. hello write offs? argshellie
- its not set up for self employed artists to win, thats for sure. From the way we get paid to the way we get loans.shellie
- on a lighter note, however..it's great to see Shellie here :)exador1
i make less then 85k. :-)
That's a good offer if you're just a designer.
In L.A. I'd normally offer based on previous salary history and experience. Generally the range I saw would be like this.
Ad + Executive Bonus Plan
Sr. Ad + Executive Bonus Plan
120-150 + Executive Bonus Plan
That's a fantastic offer.
Depends on the skills they are hiring you for. Average salary for print vs web designer can vary quite a bit.
Show us your work???
doesn't get you far in LA. Take my word.
85k in NYC is crap. Years of experience simply don't matter. it's all about the work. 7 years xp should get you at least 100k in NYC. If you're an AD and at a real agency, at least 110k. At least.
Reading this thread assures I will never move to LA.
85k in NYC = roommates. F that.
- hah. really. how's the snow?akrok
- i got a 2bd, 2bath. $1.200/mo.akrok
- does it come with gunshots at night or 2 hour traffic in the morning?mnmlst
- how's the traffic, failed gov't and lack of real subways?mnmlst
- haha. yes. i have to start shooting around 10pm. then there a break around 2am. lol.akrok
- 20 miles from work. :-Dakrok
- 45 mins if it flows. 1 hour to 1.5, when it don't. (most of time)akrok
- i was about to move to n.y. in august 2008. went there for a job. :-) then they just stop communication, like the jumped of the planet. grr.akrok
- of the planet. grr.akrok
- doh. LA, NY, they're both better than the rest of the country. But I can't do traffic.mnmlst
Everyone here must be making bank for all the smack talk on 85K :D