- Last post
- 13 Responses
- This Apple Watch will never fit on my wristdbloc
- "Fit in ass" factor getting their... Lolz.ideaist
- iPhone Killautopian
- i likejaylarson
- think different.dbloc
- Is that a phone in your pocket,
or are you just glad to see me?utopian
- Just bring back some 5" and below phones. My old 4S was the perfect size.section_014
- Finally a phone for panoramic images!
All jokes aside, I'm interested.Maaku
- wonder how videos look on this? super cropped or just centered in the middle. Or maybe it doesn't have a landscape mode.dbloc
Android Creator Puts Essential Up for Sale, Cancels Next Phone
Essential Products Inc., a startup co-founded by Android creator Andy Rubin that launched last year to great fanfare, is considering selling itself and has canceled development of a new smartphone, according to people familiar with the matter.
The intriguing part to me is where he says "Devices shouldn't become outdated every year. They should evolve with you."
I'd love to see a strong effort toward this goal.
- translation: just like with iPhone, we plan on releasing a new phone every year so you spend more $$$chukkaphob
- true. that would be a new direction that would be welcome.sofakingback
- BUT. A lot of our consumer habits are deeply grounded on purchase gratification. Hence, its not much about the product and more about buying a new product.sofakingback
- The new MacBook Pro, is a perfect example of that. Little to no value for its target consumer, yet it was still purchased because it was new.sofakingback
- Google recently killed its project in that area: https://www.theverge…i_monk
- exactly. they don't get outdated, people just love buying new shit. Nothing wrong with that either, keeps the tech industry ticking fwd.inteliboy
- I sorta disagree. I feel like my phone falls apart before I'm ready to upgrade. And only assholes make a $800 device of fucking GLASS!monospaced
- I skip years when buying phones, but usually because the battery fails or it's taken insane damage from bullshit falls.monospaced
- Anyway, I just hope that perhaps this new thing is actually taking any of that into consideration And not just the same old shit.monospaced
- Its not. What about it makes you think it will? It's an $800 phone... when it gets old, you buy a new one. They would need a different product and approach.sofakingback
- Because of what he wrote, obviously.monospaced
- But the hardware or software doesn't back that up or show anything different to lead anyone to think this is any different than a typical phone. right?sofakingback
- or am I missing something? Maybe I don't understand whats different about it.sofakingback
Love the site, and the phone looks great, but it's exactly the same size as the Galaxy S5 which is starting to feel small in my hand.
- The site was a bit wonky for me. Doesn't give me a feeling of trust. Brand interaction should feel smooth and stable for a new company like this.sofakingback
- Works fine on Firefox.i_monk
- doesn't work on chrome_niko
- works perfectly for me on chrome-kappa-
- My S8+ is only a tad taller than my S5, fyiformed
What do any of these phones do that's actually different from one another?
^^ The copy is terrible, I completely shut off as soon asI read the first paragraph. If you're gonna start talking like that, there's very little chance I'll read anything of value.
Straight up, how is this phone competitive? I'm not judging, I'm seriously curious.
The Essential Phone looks like an iPhone knock-off, not an iPhone killer.
Yes, essential looks very compelling. They also have a speaker thing coming out.
From the copy on the website:
"Your phone is your personal property. It’s a public expression of who you are and what you stand for. "
Holy shit. Pretentious much? Public expression of who you are and what you stand for? Bahahahah!
doesn't load on chrome browser