- Last post
- 52 Responses
There isn't one.
There is a universal share icon..
.. but there isn't a universal share icon. Is there?
Numerous times now myself and my colleagues have found ourselves needing an icon, for instance in the header of a website, that when clicked would drop down a list of social media sites that you could follow the brand on, but there just isn't a widely recognisable symbol for "social media".
A "follow" icon maybe. We were thinking potentially a smiley face, or a set of paws for "follow" but these are all a bit, well, shite.
I propose we the QBN collective come up with one...
Fuck "...but there isn't a universal SOCIAL icon"
Let's create a universal social icon and spread it far and wide amongst the interwebs.
Ive seen some use a profile of a head with the mouth open, like its talking. Hardly universal but it worked.
There are definitely a few out there, but nothing universal.
I like the idea of coming up with one, even if it's a cleaned up version of something that already exists, and maybe creating a dedicated website for it, sharing it and getting it to go viral so that we can finally have a widely recognisable icon for social.
Definitely a proverbial hole that needs to be filled...
It's the share icon in reverse?
- This is from a discussion we had here at the office about this a few months ago. We came up with paws for "follow", smiley faces etcset
- Favorites. For social maybe a soap box and megaphone would work?kona
- I like the icon though. It's clever.kona
- What about a heart in a profile user icon? Social media is about people and reaching their emotionspinkfloyd
- Looks like a Health or Heart Check icon. Like some diabetes program or whatever. Too health related, not very social at all.iCanHazQBN
- Heart is too much linked to other things. Love, Health, etc. Share wouldn't work I think.grotesk_neue
- It's not share, that's the whole point... Bit I agree the heart should be scrappedset
nice idea, but doesn't the share icon already fulfil both roles?
ie the idea of shoving stuff out to your network.
- i mean it's not perfect , but like the "hamburger", it has become accepted shorthand for share/socialhans_glib
- It doesn't, no. The share icon is to share a specific page or piece of content, the social icon simply takes you to the profile page on the social platformset
- For instance, in the header you have a row of social icons that take you off to the brands profile on each platform. The social icon would represent these iconsset
- (when there's not enough room for multiple)set
- this I think works well, and I really haven't seen it before in widespread usemonospaced
- good mix of notification, chat bubble and emoticon, indicates interaction and people, I likemonospaced
- I like this directiongoldieboy
- no. emoticons are like a thing.docpoz
- ^ What mono said.
Good one, I like that.grotesk_neue
- but it's racist. SJWs will be triggeredGnash
- Has got a Sambo flavor to it, doesn't it?_salisae_
- Gets my vote too.Bilious_Fog
- not good for universal use because it has a specific emotion. this share button on a cancer research website?mekk
- Cancer patients can be happy too. I see what you mean but I think it's Dar too specific an issue. It could use some work to look like talking rather than...set
- ...smiling, though.set
- You might have to have "share" written next to it for awhile before it becomes used regularly.monospaced
- lol, ITS NOT SHAREset
- my badmonospaced
- i don't see it.
it's a smile in a knocked out circle. the mouth does not indicate much else but a smile.bklyndroobeki
- It's a chat bubble. Implies communication.monospaced
- hahahaha... black face.pango
- something funny here pango?bklyndroobeki
- he was laughing at the Sambo flavor comment abovemonospaced
- speaks more to save than share... heart implies personal? kinda like an instagram like. I do like the icon a lot.monospaced
- I see what you mean. In a sense you are saving them though if you follow/like them on a social platform. It's showing an interest and keeping tabset
- Can't believe you're still stuck to this. This screams "I just got my heart checked at the health clinic". Way too medical.iCanHazQBN
- I don't think heart is the best symbol for social mediareanimate
- Anyway would it be problematic to use an icon that no one knows the meaning of?reanimate
- Most commonly used icons have taken years for the public to learn the meaningreanimate
- True but still, you have to start somewhere.qoob
- wut mono saidmoldero
- What moldero saidpango
- Hah! Cuntsset
- So what? Looks completely different.qoob
- Also not even there real logoqoob
- It's not their official logo, correct, but it's the logo most are familiar with. It's the one they use all over food packaging in the US.iCanHazQBN
- I didn't even know what their official logo was until I looked it up one minute ago.iCanHazQBN
- But this is the icon people associate with the AHA.iCanHazQBN
- Any ideas iCuntHaz?set
- LOL. You post work asking for thoughts. Then someone gives an objectively critical and legitimate opinion that you don't agree with.... so you call them a cunt.iCanHazQBN
- You're a headcase. I don't know how anyone could stand to be around you if you're anything like this in real life.iCanHazQBN
- lol calm down. I asked if you had any ideas yourself rather than simply shooting down others? Why are you talking about my company? Hahahaset
- Sensitive little flowerset
- You took constructive criticism as "shooting you down", then called someone a cunt for it. Go get mental help, son.iCanHazQBN
- ...sounds like your the sensitive one who can't take an drop of criticism.iCanHazQBN
- Do you call your clients "cunts" when they object to one of your design concepts and then storm out like a child?iCanHazQBN
- lol you having a nice day? I call everyone a cunt. Relaxset
- I never said I disagreed with you anyway, haha, I don't.set
- We'll scrap the heart you big touchy cuntset
- I think it's passable. As long as you don't use the same colour or style of illustration. Most people recognize colour before shape.pango
- the triangle is a universal iconomg
- yeah, but a triangle doesn’t stand for anything specific. It stands for delta in sciences and can mean a variety of things there depending on the field...pressplay
- ...but in the context of a website I wouldn’t know where it leads to...pressplay
- Um, we don't get icons from math Mr Spock. Try againqoob
- Of course icons come from math. Are you slow or something?reanimate
^ put these in a cloud, with a giant all seeing eye above them.
- perfect! we got it, let’s call it a day, guys!pressplay
- well, on a second thought, it doesn’t really say interaction. guess we need a couple of arrows.pressplay
- and while you’re at it, throw in a twitter bird flapping around with an instagram camera icon round it’s neck.pressplay
- love the Illuminati triangle... nice touch =DmonNom
- Haha. Client designed logoset
- lol, perfectyuekit
- level illuminati and shitpinkfloyd
- illuminatti sees your clouddocpoz
- I like how it's racial segregated.i_monk
- hahahaha i love you guysfeel
- white guys look like cock and ballsdirtydesign
- you would i_monkbklyndroobeki
- seriously, why are their dicks hanging out?pinkfloyd
- Because that's what people do onlineyuekit
- qbn. where shit gets one.docpoz
- LOL. Only needs more penis from georges.grotesk_neue
- haha! QBN = best online community.Krassy
- It's like an invasion of flying men with big dicks hoveringpinkfloyd
- This is art.BabySnakes
an icon to hide other icons inside of it doesn't seem like a good reason to need a new icon.
I like the dung with the people in it and the eyeball. Seems right.