- Last post
- 278 Responses
- (not spacex)monospaced
- I was sent this earlier, by a complete non-nerd friend. BO's PR dept is fucking useless - I've not seen this on ANY of my feeds today, otehrwise.detritus
- I saw it on Wiredmonospaced
- wow. they did it! how much?uan
- SpaceX has yet to pull this off.monospaced
- (better vid)nb
Thought Bezos was a bit classier than resorting to this tripe.
^ that was amazing, the stage one landing was perfect.
Elon Musk is clearly one of the most important humans of our generation.
My question is these landings are pretty impressive, but they are all done on earth's gravity.
If these rockets are not going to land anywhere else than earth, then it seems to me that these innovations might as well targeted towards military.
What is the final goal here? Mars landing?
They will land the Red Dragon space craft on Mars in 2018 as a proof of concept for landing on other planets.
Furthermore, Elon Musk will detail his future Mars plans in September. Like the man himself said; It least it will be entertaining. He has been hinting about a new super huge spacecraft called the Mars Colonial Transporter.
I always think of this old quote on such space things.
"Consider this: The first hole ever dug on the moon by a man-made machine is now done. It is the most expensive hole in the history of the human race. Now, what does that mean? How do we know whether this is one of man's noblest achievements or if it is a game being played by a small group of lunatics for their own amusement -- at our expense?
Considering its been like 40+ years the question is still hard to answer. My guess is the real value lies somewhere in the fact it is easier to convince scientists and public funding to work on irrelevant things in order to appropriate it for militaristic aims.
- Why even get up in the morning?inv
- Aye, to be fair we've had fuck-all of value back from pushing scientific and engineering limitations.detritus
- yes we have. but what did we get digging that hole. was it worth the cost? could space exploration just not be worth it. Just trying to look at it objectivelydeathboy
- nothing wrong with looking at it with some cynicism. be pretty myopic not too.deathboy
- and inv i get up in the morning because their is no reason to stay in bed.deathboy