- Last post
- 48 Responses
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers estimates up to 75% of all vehicles will be autonomous by 2040.
Thoughts? Fears? Bring it on? Hell no? See any problems?
I love it when they put a specific number of something that can never be quantified. Why 75%? Why not 85% or 65%?
- it's an estimatecannonball1978
- Based on what though? No one knows at this point if people will actually buy these cars.reanimate
- not to an absolute, but some make more informed estimates than otherscannonball1978
- also, would you buy one?cannonball1978
- Only if everyone else does.reanimate
- you will, because insurances will be cheaper on those cars. industry will push them into market.uan
- you either get with %s or you don't,
I like my %sGeorgesIV
- I would buy 75% of one.sarahfailin
- This is one of the dumbest questions I've seen on QBN.ORAZAL
- I estimate that the estimation was most probably made by someone who estimates estimations.sem
theres an autonomous google car, that is circulating around their headquarters, and its zero failure to this day, nothing compared to human drivers.
i think it would be great, would solve a lot of traffic problems, taxi drivers will be pissed about this tho
Cool, frees up society to spend more time looking at screens.
can see personal ownership going down as it would be a waste to have it stay in your drive-way 90% of the time. would rather enjoy being able to sleep, work or drink while the car drives. take a nap and wake up somewhere else. traffic jams would be a thing of the past.
Could I program mine to be a taxi service while I'm work during the day?
I wish they sent one into a F1 race!
I see them every day here, multiple times a day – and they are NEVER driving themselves. Unless the requirement is that you have your hands on the wheel, in which case it's a fucking waste of time.
Looks like something from a AI movie.
The car looks like it has seen horrible things o_O
What about the other 25%. Those fuckers will be a problem no?
If everything is automated and communicating with other cars and getting us from A to B as quickly and safely as possible we can still get rammed into, cut up, over taken, slowed down etc. by them?
I love this progress, but I do recall a sci fi story from when I was young, all about a big error that happened and killed so many...seems like there would be a hack, power outage, communication glitch, etc., that would result in something horrible.
BUT who knows, given Google's progress with robotics, etc., I figure it is only a matter of time before Skynet becomes a reality too.