- Last post
- 636 Responses
This thread is dedicated to the study of all things healthy.
How to Clean Fruits & Vegetables With Vinegar
The University of Michigan Extension recommends washing fresh produce under clean, running water prior to consuming, but adding vinegar to the mix may help kill even more bacteria. A study published in 2003 in the "Journal of Food Protection" found that washing apples with a vinegar-and-water solution reduced salmonella on the outer skin significantly more than washing with water alone. Jack Bishop, editor of "Cook's Illustrated," performed a similar experiment, and found that vinegar killed approximately 98 percent of bacteria on the surface of fresh fruits and vegetables.
For Smooth-Skinned Fruits and Vegetables
Pour the white distilled vinegar into a spray bottle, and add 3 cups water. Secure the lid on the bottle, and shake well to combine the ingredients.
Spray smooth-skinned vegetables and fruits, such as apples and tomatoes, with enough of the vinegar solution to cover the entire surface area, about five or six squirts. Rub gently with your hand to make sure the skin is coated thoroughly.
Rinse the fruit or vegetable under cold running water, which removes the residual vinegar flavor. Rub with your hands to help remove every trace of vinegar, shake off the excess water, and pat dry with a clean towel before slicing.
For Leafy and Irregular Vegetables
Pour the distilled vinegar into a large bowl or basin, and add 3 cups water. Stir gently with a large spoon or ladle to mix the liquids thoroughly.
Separate the leaves of leafy vegetables, such as lettuce, spinach and turnip greens, and dip them in the vinegar solution. Remove from the bowl, rinse under cold running water, shake off excess, and pat dry before serving.
Place irregular vegetables that have many crevices, such as cauliflower and broccoli, in the bowl of vinegar and water. Allow these vegetables to soak for at least two minutes before rinsing under cold, running water. Shake off excess water, and pat dry before cutting or serving.
Tips and Warnings
If your spray bottle isn't large enough to hold 4 cups of liquid, or if you need a larger amount of the mixture for cleaning large vegetables, use 1 part vinegar to every 3 parts water to make the cleaning solution.
Wash hard-skinned fruits and vegetables, such as squash and melons, just as you would smooth-skinned fruits and vegetables, even if you don't eat the rind or skin. The University of Michigan warns that bacteria on the outer skin can be transferred to the inner flesh when cut.
Things You'll Need
1 cup white distilled vinegar
Large bowl or basin
Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/articl…
- 1:3 ratio, vinegar to water... you do this?monospaced
- I think thats for spray bottles. I read somewhere its good to mix a bucket of water w 1/4 of viengar. Hvaen't tried it yet tho.instrmntl
- livestrong? cant trust it.BrokenHD
- OCD a lot?canoe
- but then where will i get my bacteria from?mantrakid
Qbn is pretty unhealthy
Sex is really healthy.
- Here Here!instrmntl
- Especially in the morning. I feel great right now.monospaced
- bur STD's are notyurimon
- God you are weird.wordssssss
- Yeah, God's a weird motherfucker, into little boys and shit. That sex is definitely unhealthy.monospaced
- You're doing it wrong then...
- "Sex is the devil!" yuris mommoldero
Drink this every morning:
Great natural energy, and the Maca powder is good for lowering anxiety, helping virility, and other stuff. I've been drinking this mixture for several months usually every morning.
- yeh, maca is a really unusual yet familiar taste, I can't quite tell you what it tastes of, but I like it..mikotondria3
- I found that the Acai Berry Emrgen C fully kills the odd taste.mg33
- Oh I don't mind it - I thnk it could really be great with like banana or caramel/choc etc.mikotondria3
There seem to be quite a few health knowledgeable folks on QBN, bout time this thread got made! bravo!
What like is to make a more conscious effort to avoid sugars and stuff with hydrogenated oils.
I hear yerba mate tea is great -
good for feeling switched on without being jittery. Anyone had any experience with it?
Also this might help people -
it calculates the amount of sleep you should have based on 1.5hr sleep cycles.
Ya know when you've had a good night but still feel like crap for some reason.
If you feel tired in the morning and find it hard to get out of bed, you're probably hypoglycemic (low blood sugar).
Before bed have a handful or almonds or a 1/1.5 table spoons of almond butter. It will keep your blood sugar and energy at a much better level when you wake up.
Ive told this to about 6 people who've been amazed at how effective it is. They also told others with the same results.
Source: Tim Ferris + My gf's acupuncturist who is a fricking genius.
Also Brazil nuts are great for testosterone production, have a few of those a day and you'll see overall energy levels increase.
I looked into some neck stretches recently as working at computers often doesn't help our necks.
ive been doing these stretches -
and I didn't realise how tight my neck was.
He talks about how you don't necessarily need to stretch the back of the neck as 90% of people when using a computer jut their head forward, which lengthens the back of the neck, so its less important to stretch it out compared with the front of the neck which becomes shortened and tonic.
It should help you computer nerds too! :D
anyone tried keto?
Heres a really simple one for good fat loss, that isn't changing your life too much or going without nice foods.
DONT mix fat and carbs.
When you eat carbs your body goes into a fat storage mode (thanks to an insulin increase), if you have fat alongside these carbs its also going to store that fat too.
If you were to eat protein + fat, your body wouldn't do this to the same degree and is much less likely to store fat. Some proteins can illicit and insulin response more than others though but no where near the level of carbs.
protein + fat = good.
carbs + protein = good
fat + carbs = bad
Like everything in the health world there are some theories against this, but they are far fewer than those who agree to it.
- interesting.... so... no more pizza, argh! I might try this though....
- You can eat well though, like a curry or Chinese, but no rice, just eat loads of mean and fatty sauce (but not sweet sugary sauce)Hombre_Lobo
- .. Sauce like plum sauce). You can have a lot of chicken tikka, or chicking in black beanHombre_Lobo
- interesting.... so... no more pizza, argh! I might try this though....
I've been taking those Ultimate Cleanse pills for the past week after a previous week of meat and beer overload while on vacation.
Sure you pee out your butt many times a day, but all the bloat is gone and pants fit loosely again quickly.
- go with watermeok
- learn to drink water, use OJ if you have a sweet tooth, but learn to drink wateralbums
- Don't bother with these at all. Water and fresh fruit separately.MrT
- these aren't bad. zero sugar is a plus for surelambsy
- 0 sugar and tastes sweet? im straight.
- what albums said, learn to drink water againmoldero
fibery beans, grains & vegetables
is the safest way I think.
if you want to include meat into this you have to try hard finding a healthy organic choice.
If you make this your fundamental diet than you can go with sodas or sweets or doughy delicious stuff once a while as a treat or reward and keep living healthy.