- Last post
- 19 Responses
good! adobe needs competition
holy hell, the live keynote was great.
StudioLink = mind blown
(ability to work a document in every app at the same time seamlessly)
- lol, this level of integration Adobe would only dream ofgrafician
- Was in the Beta, I installed, didn't closed the app for like a few months working daily, no glitch, perfect appgrafician
- "but...but...Adobe is industry standard..." gtfo!grafician
- watching the keynote... just way better than adobe.. they just need to make an AE competitor and I'm done with adobe.shapesalad
- inspiring. I'm thinking, I get Publisher and go around the City and get me some financial doc jobs. Would be a breeze.shapesalad
- @shape AE is a different beast, Adobe might hold the title there for a few more years...grafician
- @shape also yes, doing simple brochures and multi page form docs for clients can be a money maker using this app, way faster than InDesigngrafician
- They need to work with Art schools. Adobe got them all plus how many agencies will immediately switch to this? It's all on the freelancers' shoulders for now.Beeswax
Sweet. I have both Designer and Photo, though haven't actually taken the time to learn or use them. I just support having an alternative to Adobe.
- haha. same here.monNom
- lol, taking the time to learn?! It takes 30 mins if you're an Adobe user for years. A big plus is these apps DON'T CRASH!grafician
- me too :)d_gitale
- same!!! i like having the option. Although i have used designer to create logos - good workflow and all-in one.umbee54
- I do lots of logos, Illustrator still has some useful stuff, but if you're doing strictly geometric logos, use Designer, look no furthergrafician
I tried the 30 days demo of Affinity Photo and I REALLY liked it a lot. Better or equal than Photoshop on most things.
I will def switch to them next
Why does their new demo reel show such shitty design on just about ever conceivable level?
One thing Affinity Photo doesnt do and bothers me is Scripts - Layer Comp To files
There's somthing called Snapshots who works like Layer Comp, but there's no script to exports them all in one click.
- That's an "edge case" but ping them on twitter or email, they might implement that in the next version...No kidding!grafician
- with the export persona, you can create every layer to a slice, and export just the changes, lots of options..ESKEMA
- ill look into it, thanks!Bennn
Another thing, in Photoshop Alt+- or Alt++ zoom in or out and resize the window. I havent figure out how in Affinity Photo... you can zoom in/out by hitting Ctrl++ or Ctlr+- but the windows stay the same and its annoying
- Option (Alt) + scroll
you're the guy that likes windows resizing with zoom? wtf? it's like the first thing to disable on a fresh install of PS.ESKEMA
- No, its not what I mean... how can I explain it...Bennn
- This is what I mean with the zooming
- that's exactly what I was referring to. In Adobe world, I zoom using Cmd + Space + mouse click / drag. Why do you want the window to resize?ESKEMA
- because when I have for example 4 files open at the same time and want to zoom in/out on them, I dont want to manually resize their windows to see what I'm doinBennn
- Open Everything In Tabs is the first thing to disable in PS.i_monk
- Option (Alt) + scroll
Used these apps from the beginning, very much inclined to think these guys are not replicating Adobe stuff, they went way back in time to Macromedia era and replicating - in a way - that workflow - think Macromedia Fireworks where you could edit BOTH raster and vector elements in the same file...
With Designer/Photo/Publisher you don't use different apps, you just click on a button and switch to a different workflow IN THE SAME APP!
Plus these apps don't crash, use way less resources (using these even on my ooooold MBP 2012 without a glitch), are way faster than Adobe apps, export all the usual formats, import native Adobe PSD AI PDF files and lots more features and they're just getting started!
If these guys cross into the video editing field with a future app, Adobe is in BIG trouble...
Not to mention you buy a license and you OWN the app, get updates and resources without paying anything extra
Also they have iPad versions for these apps lol!
Designer and Photo are iPad native apps! working just the same as the desktop versions, you can basically take your iPad Pro and go work in the park literally designing and editing photos like you were using your $5k iMac!
Not to sounds like a BIG fan here, but these guys are the real deal, we should really support them!
- Not getting paid to write this. Also did I mentioned THESE APPS DON'T CRASH?!grafician
- They look better than Adobe alsoBennn
- you'll have to buy upgrades eventually, but this is really coolmonospaced
- Agree, here here.shapesalad
- I wish they could take a look at Moho Pro (already awesome but seemly based on old code/gui) and make a killa animation tool.shapesalad
- Is there anything remotely similar to an AE alternative. I’d happily switch to the non-motion apps...MrT
same here, bought everything since it came out and been using it since. I have not installed Adobe on my MBP bought last summer, and I don't miss it at all. The Publisher app (beta tester also) really brings the suite together in a way that Adobe never will. Video is really the only missing (and maybe code?), I'm sure they have their mind on it already.
- Not sure about code, but video should be a next step. But let's let them develop in their own time, I'm just very glad Affinity is a very good option to Adobe!grafician
- yes, snippets of code to animate elements, think flash for html5, but done well.ESKEMA
- after having animation, video is done.ESKEMA
- Think bloatware, not counting on implementing all that Adobe has...Fewer tools, more efficient appgrafician
publisher has been launched
- oops, late to the party. again.hans_glib
- i have the entire suite, so now i guess it's time to start weaning myself off illustrator. it's going to be tricky...hans_glib
- Mesh tool, width tool, blending, hope they will get implemented in Designer soon. Amadine, another vector app I use, has the width stroke so it's possible!grafician
I miss the Image Trace tool in Affinity Designer ... Thats the tool I use the most in Illustrator. I wrote them an email 2 years ago and they said they dont plan to put that tool for the moment.
I just noticed they changed the icons for Photo and Designer. Boo.
How is Affinity photo for working raw photo files ?
Just bought a new nikon and it's not supported by Camera Raw cs6 lmao
I hope they add a font manager to their growing suite of design programs.
I think I'll pick this up for a freelance thing coming up in the next few weeks, and if it goes well that may be the end of Adobe (at home) for me.
- it's all i need, and more
sad to dump quirk, but wthhans_glib
- I've been also looking for a reason to learn this; I've not spent the time on Designer/Photo yet to get used to the UI / tools. You @i_monk?ideaist
- I have Designer and Publisher but really haven't spent time with them. This would force me to.i_monk
- publisher is easy, designer has a different workflow, tho i'm finally getting up to speed with it.hans_glib
- Its easy to get in. Just forget opening PSD in it, it messes everything up.Bennn
- it's all i need, and more
Does this thing not have grids/columns in page layout?
1.8 adds IDML importing:
Import InDesign IDML files, including all text styles, master pages, guides, pinned objects and more, directly into Affinity Publisher for an even more seamless experience.
- This is great.
Using it much @i_monk? I'm looking for a project to test it out...ideaist
- i use it all the time now.hans_glib
- Still plugging away at it.i_monk
- Designer and Photo now import Smart Objects too!evilpeacock
- No more Photoshop to open all those mockups .PSD files :))grafician
- This is great.