- Last post
- 116 Responses
That's basically what they did with the Wii U, though you couldn't take it more than a few rooms away from the console. They just didn't market it though - not one of my friends knew what the Wii U was. Some just thought it was a different controller for the old Wii... most people didn't know it existed.
I got rid of it after a while because they didn't make any fucking games for it. The super mario bros games they did make for it were great but no Mario 64-esque game.... No Zelda... I was excited for the Donkey Kong game but that was shit.
This new one looks interesting. Was that a new mario game I saw there?
- That said I couldn't give a fuck about playing video games anywhere but my sofaset
- Now I want to go dig out the old Mario Galaxymonospaced
- they were greatset
- toilet mario is the futuredigitdaily
- he is a plumber, wasn't he always sort of toilet mario?monospaced
That looks fun!
All I really want to know is when is the new mario coming out? =)
don't call me a weirdo!
So it's another underpowered release, but this time three generations behind the state of the art, rather than just one and a half?
They should just focus on games and peripherals for other platforms. They're going to follow Sega into the grave if they keep putting crap like this out.
- Also, marketing explicitly to millennials like that seems hopeless to me.detritus
- And it seems overly-fussy, expensive and fragile. Where's the spiritual successor to the GameCube?detritus
- Sorry, don't want to be a negative nancy, but .. wtf is this shit? This is the exact opposite direction I thought they'd go in for this release.detritus
- Sony and Xbox don't offer anything interesting to me... now imagine all the iOS games with crappy onscreen controls that will be applying for licenses.zarkonite
- and regarding the hardware, at least the Wii doesn't crap out on you all the time like and Xbox. I couldn't care less about fps and polygon count, I want funzarkonite
- gameplay I can actually share with people who are casual gamers. It's not interesting to most to counterstrike online with all the assholes who live only to gamzarkonite
- Mm, so as I say, why don't Nintendo capitalise on MS and Sony's R&D and make content and peripherals for their platforms?detritus
- Why do I need a second or third machine that's expensive and offers less than what I've already got?detritus
- I don't know, maybe it's more profitable that way? or they have more control over the experience?zarkonite
- ..and breaks. And when it breaks, costs me even more $$$ to replace bits. Do parents want this? Do kids?detritus
- They were REALLY slow at creating movile games.zarkonite
- I thought they'd worked out what made them attractive when they released those wee Famicon/NES things recently. Cheap hardware that's fun. Winwin.detritus
"Currently Nintendo has released no details on pricing, but the system, which will feature titles from nearly 50 game publishers"
It looks like it won't be the same as the U where no games came out.
- that and marketing were it's main flaws, which they seem to be well aware ofset
I know so many people who have been dying to play video games in cabs and on rooftops at parties, said nobody ever.
- mario party?jaylarson
- To be fair mobile gaming is HUGE.set
- Mario Party is/was brilliant - but when you're huddled around a TV, elbowing each other - not squinting into tiny glowing rectangle.detritus
- kids love mobile gaming, and I believe that's what kept Nintendo afloat through the hard timesmonospaced
- You need to know what your audience want before they do, that is success.robthelad
Yeah, exactly, mg33 - the Wii was their last successful platform and was, if I remember, the last they specifically continued marketing to 'families'.
Why not continue that course, perhaps even focusing ostensibly on kids, but in reality over-grown idiot infantlised adults like ourselves and the millennianniallsss.
I want Mario and Mario kart in garish colours and half-decent graphics, at a nice price point - not some svelte piece of tech that's dubiously functional to sit pride of place in some plush apartment that I don't have.
- *shakes fist at sky*detritus
- They should play up the family aspect with wireless controllers that aren't a fortune and show us how that works.monospaced
The dock is ugly as fuck.
Looks dope, it's flexible, will probably be $300ish and if they learned anything from the WiiU they'll know that software will make or break this thing. We will see.
I never understand why people put Nintendo down because "omg underpowered!", they have a solid catalog. Hope this thing does good we need more options not everything can be just Playstation or Xbox...
- I don't mind it comparatively underperforming if it's reasonably-priced - but that pile of gimmickry looks EXPENSIVE.detritus
- They shoudl focus on content and interactivity, not try and reinvent the wheel as they managed to get away with in the Wii (for a while, before people forgot)detritus
- It looks like the ps3/360 version. Doesnt have the fancy new lighting.CygnusZero4
Battery life = 12min 37sec
Well, imagine you can take that outside your house and start catching pokemons, they would have sold millions of this thing.
- would have? it's not out for another 6 months at leastmonospaced
- Pokemons on the Go bro, and if you don't know, now you know, you know... 95 in the houseprophetone
- hypothetically speakingMaaku
They should've teamed up with Google and made a couple of Nintendo-edition Pixel phones - one that's basically just a huge mobile phone with console functionality for adults, another a 'child safe' phone variant (with adult oversight functionality). Both would have the same [breakable, expensive] physical controller attachments.
That way they can take a few baby steps with VR too and make their own version of Daydream, when the time's ready.
Christ, with advice as brilliant as this, why is Miyamoto not knocking on my door? IDIOTS.
- -1?! HEATHEN.detritus
That looks cool!
Good games aren't about good graphics. If it has compact, energy efficient hardware, and enough battery to be useful as a portable device, the nerds will use it.
The rooftop party scenario was pretty laughable though.
- There's been an entire generation raised on "good games have good graphics".i_monk
So many loose parts.
Also, how handy: you only take the portable device with you when you travel, and every hotel has the bulky dock/tv-link you can use.
- looks like it can connect wirelessly to a smart tv, but it'd have to 1) be connected to wifi (of course) and 2) have the nintendo software installed for castingsarahfailin
- my money is on Chromecast-y hdmi dongles that you can plug into any TV, on the goprophetone
In all honesty, I think it looks fucking great. Like a tanked-up 2DS. And with portable Splatoon? C'mon.
- from that perspective, cool - but that's..
..oh fuckit. *mopes*detritus
- from that perspective, cool - but that's..
It does look cool. but I'm done buying new consoles. I had the WiiU over 3 years, and played one game on it. Not doing that again.
- I will forgive Nintendo everything, but the Cube was my last console.i_monk
- I call my Wii U the "Mario Kart playing machine".zarkonite
- What game did you play?since1979
- ZombiiU. Liked it too. Was holding out for a Zelda, but 3+ year wait for a Zelda is nuts.dopepope
- Zombie u was OK, yeah. If you like fps shooters PS or above was preferablesince1979
Love nintendo, but another Wii U? Why??? That was one of their greatest failures.
Plus it looks messy. By my count, it has SIX different parts to it. How many damn things do I need to play a nintendo game these days?
WHY do those little controllers detach?? No one is going to play with those tiny things. They should have been permanently attached to the Switch system for use as a handheld, and then have the pro controller be the controller when gaming at home. Cleaner, more streamlined, a lot less fuckery going on.
- I see your point, but maybe you're not the target? :)Maaku
- "No one is going to play with those tiny things." That's what she said!zarkonite
- I may not be. I hope it sells well, just hard to understand after the U tanking, why they would go with an evolved version of that?CygnusZero4
- Microsoft did that with the Xbox.monospaced