- Last post
- 26 Responses
I don't think anyone's saying every site should be one way or the other, but there are plenty of situations where a wider page (than 960) is helpful.
I would say that grid standards are going to snap more to HD resolutions the more we design for screens other than the comp monitor.
Take Google as a case study (especially since I'm guessing they do a ton of usability testing). The regular search uses the scale up/ scale down approach, in their case between 800 and 1180px.
However within the main column they restrict the length of the search results text. The result of a wider screen is actually more white space between the search results and the ads, which makes the page easier to read.
Then with images and maps they switch over to completely liquid width.
1200 Grid 12 Col anyone?
Started last project with 960 grid but changed to 1200 after request from the developer.
Was using 15 Col and since yesterday I've started to have some doubts so today I started changing the project to 12 Col.
I thought 15 col would give me more freedom and help me not ending up doing everything symmetrical but somehow I didn't felt it was working.
Any thoughts? What do you guys use?
- 12 is divisible by 2,3 and 4, that's why it's used...it's a print graphic heritage...go read Josef Müller-Brockmann Grid System and Massimo Vignelli Unigrid.uan
- you'll understand the system, then you can do whatever you like. but the foundation staysuan
- if you need some vid in the layout, you might start by incorporating 1920, 1280 or 720 into your horizontal measurements, so they can be displayed in native resuan
- hey uan, that's the reason i started with 12 col in the 960 Grid. I did once template for a Bootstrap project and actually enjoyed the 12 col option.oey
- and thanks!oey
- 1280 or 1440 to start with, but it depends on what devices you'll want to target primarily
find your resolutions: http://screensiz.es/…uan
- also take a look at css grid in ff, might be helpful :) https://www.youtube.…uan
- another approach is to build up from a basic tile (unit), like 80x80 or 40x40 and build your grid with that measurement as baseuan
- I'm using 80x80 with 20 gutteroey
- great links thanksoey
- i usually prefer 24-32 columnsjaylarson
- ^thanks uan for the links!jaylarson