- Last post
- 693 Responses
'Jamming Skin Concept' robot prototype.
(If you're impatient, cut to the money shot about 2 minutes in...)
- that's both cool and scary at the same time ;-)Not_Just_Another
- holy shitwhereRI
- IT'S METAL GEARscarabin
- It's disturbing seing scientists push these robots around.lnu
- walks like it shit it's pants (if had pants)pizzafire
- ... but pretty amazingpizzafire
- I can do thatpillhead
- i want that job...just shove the robot around all day. amazing.sputnik2
Autonomous Micro Air Vehicle for use in non-GPS, closed environments.
That first video, again.
haha, damn. i actually made something that would fit perfectly in this thread, but am hesitant to severely embarrass myself.
I'd like to high five this thing.
- ohmygod, we're so fucked.
THIS is the kind of shit I want in this thread.detritus
- Where did you find out about this, smee? (if you don't mind me asking!)detritus
- It was written up on Boing Boing a few months ago. Scary shit.
- hmm, i must've missed that - good old boingboing! Thanks, smee.detritus
- this is so oldFixMiller
- Well done for sharing it sooner, FixMiller, you wonderful, wonderful human being.detritus
- i love math so much it makes me want to cryversion3
- Holy shit, this robot hand blew my mind!dMullins
- F U C Krosskemp
- ohmygod, we're so fucked.
The mother of all goldmines. DARPA projects completed or in Dev over the past year.
During military operations it can be important to gain covert access to denied or hostile space. Unmanned platforms such as mechanical robots are of limited effectiveness if the only available points of entry are small openings.
The goal of the Chemical Robots (ChemBots) Program is to create a new class of soft, flexible, mesoscale mobile objects that can identify and maneuver through openings smaller than their dimensions and perform various tasks.
The program seeks to develop a ChemBot that can perform several operations in sequence:
Travel a distance;
Traverse an arbitrary-shaped opening much smaller than the largest characteristic dimension of the robot itself;
Reconstitute its size, shape, and functionality after traversing the opening;
Travel a distance; and
Perform a function or task using an embedded payload.
This program creates a convergence between materials chemistry and robotics through the application of any one of a number of approaches, including gel-solid phase transitions, electro- and magneto-rheological materials, geometric transitions, and reversible chemical and/or particle association and dissociation.
With ChemBots, our warfighters can gain access to denied spaces and perform tasks safely, covertly, and efficiently.
"Even the angriest mobs would probably think twice about trying to pass a Taser Shockwave barrier. It is the less-lethal equivalent of a claymore mine. Push the big red button, and it will fire 24 electrified probes at the same time in a single direction."
heaps more here