- Last post
- 5 Responses
Anyone have any tips for better public speaking?
I absolutely suck at it and need to get better.
I hated presentations as a kid (still do) I'm not fond of pitches or new client meetings etc, I freeze, clam up and can't fucking speak lol
In social situations, I'm the exact opposite, more extroverted, confident, funny, chatty, chill, love shooting the shit with people, love making new friends, but put me on the spot in a professional setting and I become overwhelmed with anxiety and dread. I don't get it.
Consider the "public" to be just one other person. Act accordingly.
PRACTICE. Know the substance of what you will be speaking about so that you don't have to read from slides, you just have bullets as references and queues on a sheet of paper in front of you. Develop a passionate authority on the topic so that it feels as casual as talking to friends about common interests.
Check put PechaKucha and see how you put together presentations to work within that method - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pe…
1. Know your topic REALLY WELL. Go over it a bunch of times so that you have the details down cold, and more than you need. You are speaking I presume because you know something about something.
2. Create several bullets of general points you want to cover on a piece of paper in front of you...NOT ALL THE DETAILS....because you know all those from #1
3. Just talk about it. DO NOT read anything, THIS WILL MAKE IT SUCK, Just talk about it.
4. Like grafician says, just pretend like you are talking to a friend....relaxed, passionate, funny....however you are as a person at a table with 2 -3 other people.
- yeah i think preparation is a big thing, another thing is practice, I tend to avoid public speaking so I don't do enough of it and when I do I'm unprepared_niko
- so I wonder if most great public speakers make it look so easy because of all the prep-work before hand, I see them and think they're so natural and I suck_niko
- when really it's just that they work at it._niko
Agree 100% with what the others have said.
Number 1,2 and 3 suggestions...know exactly what you're talking about. Doesn't mean you need to memorise every word you're going to say...but if you lost your notes for example, you'd be prepared enough to be able to wing it.
A proper wank right before everything will help.