- Last post
- 14 Responses
In Illustrator CS I have a gradient applied to a line, the gradient is following the line. So far so good.
But when I use this .ai file in InDesign, a bug shows up: small white spots in the gradient, on different places when zooming in.
What I did not expect is that this also effects exported jpg's and pdf's. But it does. What's going on here?
Exported jpg from InDesign:
The same happens when I convert the path to an outline (it makes a gradient mesh, which has exactly the same bugs).
does it look like that when you print it?
or export the jpg from illy?
does it show up when you print it?
might be some gpu indesign problem just affecting you gpu rendering.
Old macbookpro, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1 GB / Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB. Could that be the problem?
What does it look like when you have view anchors on? There's definitely not an extra anchor side by side, perhaps twisted?
Also, (and I apologise in advance as I'm not in front of Illustrator right now) what happens when you play with the stroke's caps and corners?
- Can't make a screenshot of the anchors, but they are okay. Not twisted, no double anchors at the same location etc. Caps & corners no effect.stewart
- Have you tried replicating in a new document - also, sounds stupid, but what happens when you copy paste into a new document, different position?detritus
- There's a couple of gltiches I encounter in Illy that are utterly bewildering and unfixable beyond copying into a virgin doc and saving out again *shrug*detritus
- Also - perhaps upload the portion in question so we can have a look on our machines?detritus
- What happens when you tweak the angle ever so slightly - does the form of the glitching change or disappear?detritus
- that stroke is pretty heavy for that curve. i often get issues with strokes undergoing that kind of stress, even with flat colour.hans_glib
- dunno anything about gradients along lines, but would it survive a blend between two lines? define inner and outer curve then blend?hans_glib
What happens if you add a couple extra points along the way?
- CC 2017, macbook pro 2011Gnash
- I guess you could try "expand appearance" if you're still glitching but all seems good on my endGnash
- Export from InDesign is not OK here. Placed & rotated some glitches are also exported to jpeg somehow.stewart
- ah, I'll give that a go. odd, it seems like InD is exporting a preview...Gnash
Your test file is working all fine here too - I see the artefacts at particular zoom levels, but they're not really there as such, nor in exports.
I'm no expert. but I outlined the stroke in illustrator and just copy and pasted the vector into InDesign. So as its vector no problem with the degrading.
Is this an option?
As I recall there used to be issues with gradients when the span they cover wasn't long enough to account for each step of colour change, so you'd get distinct/noticeable chunks of colour. Perhaps this is related. If you scale the artwork up 500% in Illy do the artifacts still show up in ID?