- Last post
- 25 Responses
So, uh ... I haven't *really* been paying attention to this. But — from what I've been able to tell so far — how is Metaverse stuff any different than, say, Second Life? And why should I give a fuck?
- It's not. They conjoined a new term to an old thing. All MMORPGs are also metaverseBeeswax
- So, what you're saying is Mark Zuckerberg wants me to waste my valuable time on an MMORPG/ad-bombardmen... platform he owns? He can eat a bag of fried dicks.Continuity
- MMORPG + in-game purchases. Maybe including nfts, but not really sure how that works in practice.monNom
- More likely, it will just be the internet, except with even more subscriptions and paywalls in front of everything.monNom
For example, if a creator sells an item for $1.00, then the Meta Quest Store fee would be $0.30 and the Horizon Platform fee would be $0.17, leaving $0.53 for the Creator before any applicable taxes.
inside JPMorgan's metaverse loungehttps://pbs.twimg.com/medi...
The thing about real estate is, there's only a finite amount. In the metaverse, when space 'runs out', they'll make another metaverse on top of the old one. Then charge double.
There's already a few of them. With people paying insane amounts of money for plots of area.
- It isn't infinite however. There is a limit to the materials that make it go. Until energy is infinite it too drives "value"ShenanigansTV
- like second life in 2004.. its the new frontier..that what the said back then...and are now... not than iam against... we will see how much traction it getsneverscared
- this time... evidently more money.. but then the bubble burst is close too.neverscared
- My kid now spends more time on the Oculus than all other devices.ShenanigansTV
- There is no "metaverse" yet, just companies trying to get pr and suckers, but any company can make a "metaverse" and sell "land"....foreverformed
Who is designing the architectures of the metaverse?
Millions of dollars spent on a plot of digital land, firms specialising in designing only buildings for the metaverse, brands and celebrities getting involved. Our journey into a future that until a few years ago would have seemed science fiction.
The stock chart from today's bloodbath is so awesome
I would post it but i don't want to trigger anyone :)
I still don't understand what this entails. In some ad videos people seem to be doing office work with their colleagues in the metaverse. Are you supposed to be wearing a VR set 8 hours a day?
- No. You only put them on when you want to sexually assault a colleague.palimpsest
- But both have to be wearing VR, so its consensual by definitiondrgs
- It’s just a front to collect more personal data to sell to advertisers, using technology from 2003.mort_
- Seriously, I don't even have a VR set, and even if I had one, I can't see myself wearing it for more than 15 min a daydrgs
- Can one get laid in the Metaverse?utopian
- That's why I think it's mostly vaporware, at least in the form Zuckerberg is trying to sell you. It's like a fake version of the future.yuekit
- as mort_ stated, VR tech has been around for ages, people just don't want to wear shit on their face. Same reason 3D tv failed.spot13
- It's the beta version of Black Mirror. Pretty crap and not as scary.Chimp
- Guise for $39.99/month I can offer you something more life-like and you don’t have to wear a headset. It’s got smell it’s got touch, everything!_niko
- my nephews each got an oculus for xmas, and the first thing they reach for to play games is my iPhone or their ipadshotroddy
- My kids and a gang of his friends play oculus everyday until the power runs out. Then they switch to console, all while having tik tok playing on their devices.ShenanigansTV
- You're too poor to understandbabydick
- lol babydickmonospaced
- I went to Krustyland and rode the Death Drop in the Metaverse/ true storyBattleAxe
- If it wasnt for the motion sickness, Id buy a hundred.
What are concrete examples of Metaverse?drgs
- It’s just virtual real estate. It has yet to be developed into something that is useful or practical.monospaced
- I once saw a woman on a plane wearing one and I felt embarrassed.SimonFFM
- Oculus 2 is a blast. I don't use any social media on it though just games.bezoar
- Can I navigate in it on my computer, like a first person shooterdrgs
- quest 2 is fun, but the graphics are fucked, Oculus rift on PC is where its at, but sometimes setup sucks big hairy nuts.GuyFawkes
- I downloaded like 30 PSVR games but the resolution on that headset makes them almost unplayable. I need an oculus or somethingscarabin
- It will never be anything useful or practical.garbage
- I think web3 + meaverse are less about VR, more about using an NFT as your universal access profile to decentralised platforms.shapesalad
- instead of a password, it's a public key to a NFT (token, not jpeg) that is your online identity.shapesalad
- It'll be used for banking, sending crypto etc. Websites will all be decentralised dao organised things, using them gaining you credits, like brave browser.shapesalad
- @shape so your password for your entire online life would be...public?
- this productization of artwork proof of ownership and authenticity is just a ridiculous gimmick without the legislative background.sted
- I've enjoyed a number of PSVR games. More than an hour or so and it's weird back in reality. And that's playing games not working or checking Twatter.MrT
Plus, this reminds me of Habbo Hotel.
It is the new buzzword on Linkedin by 55-year-old marketeers.