- Last post
- 6 Responses
My current machine (2013 iMac) has 32GB of RAM. For the most part, it still runs decent.
Any of you guys running M1 with 8GB RAM? How is it? Apparently 8GB RAM in an M1 machine shits on anything else out there.
My understanding is that the architecture can swap the memory in/out so fast that it only needs a small fraction of what it traditionally would. So, from what I've seen, 8GB is a lot like having 16GB performance-wise, and bottlenecking for memory hasn't been detected. I don't have an M1 (yet) but I think others here do.
The M1 is amazing in how much performance it gives for how much power it draws. In that regard it shits on a lot of other processors. But, it is certainly not the fastest out there, and graphics-wise it has a way to go. But it's a proof of concept, and it can only get better.
UGH..still can't figure out whether to buy an iPad pro or a MacBook Air. I need to edit video in 4k but I also like to draw and would get the apple pencil.... UGHHHHHH
- I have both an iPad Pro and Macbook Pro, and couldn't give up on one. Different uses, they make a good combo. Pick whatever covers your immediate needs.spl33nidoru
- The new iPad Pro can do all of that. And with iPadOS 15 coming in summer there‘ll be pro apps like Final Cut Pro coming too.NBQ00
- hi. yeah ultimately i may do that but i would like to save some cash in order to buy some photographic gear or a motorcycle.StoicLevels
- i guess the editing is the priority , i can alwaysdraw and scaan anyways. thanks for chiming in, buddyStoicLevels
- You want it all !! ;)spl33nidoru
- i am patiently waiting for M2. Im not going to be a sucker and buy a 1.0 anything lol. Hopefully you are right NBQStoicLevels
- I still use both. iPad great for lots of stuff but won’t replace a laptop, as of nowGnash
- @stoic What photo equipment are you looking at? I have a Canon RP for sale at the momentaliastime
- @alias I'm looking at an arri orbiterStoicLevels
The "M1 Mac Mini" seems like a good option.
Hold off 'til announcements in summer. 'M2' is just around the corner.
- yup, on the 6Gdopepope
- There’s always another corner :/Gnash
- Apple promised to replace the entire lineup of intel Macs with their silicon within 2 years. There will be many more powerful iterations necessary.monospaced
- Hah i heard it referred to as M1X - i hope its not as everyone will call it 'mix' and make it a whole thing thats just gonna get on your tits for years.kingsteven
Some good explanation