- Last post
- 15 Responses
I see this faux sheen from time to time...
And I was wondering...
Wouldn't it be best to use metallic paper or something that shines rather than the faux nonsense?
- But you use Pantone Metallics to print that
- I'm assuming the metallic print would be better than making the gradients, right?canoe
- That Pro Olay X looks 100% metallic Pantone - that's how it looks IRL lolgrafician
- The Darbie one looks made with gradients in Illustrator so it will be printed in CMYKgrafician
- You don't know about Pantone Metallics and CMYK color codes?! Or what am I missing here hmmmgrafician
- It's not like I've never heard of them, but no I haven't used them. Although graphic design is vocational, my focus varies... basic agency of one.canoe
- PS - I need all the help I can get, you don't know canoe? lolcanoe
- Those aren’t photos. It might be real in production.monospaced
- But you use Pantone Metallics to print that
Also, do we have a thread where freelancers who work from home and want to bounce ideas back and forth?
The assumption is the entire site is made for that, but a lot of nondesign conversations seem to be more popular these days.
A dedicated thread to freelancers who do not have coworkers around to discuss ideas would be nice. #wordsalad
- sounds a bit wank, but just make it, if you need it.Nairn
- Sure, create one...grafician
- If you don't want to start a new one you can use this thread to post WIP and get feedback.
- I vaguely remember a Critique my work thread.monospaced
- ^ yah, I guess I'll just create a thread per project as normal. I miss talking type at the drinking fountain, but I don't miss the account layer between...canoe
- the client and creative.canoe
- Yeah, but we can't post wip mate, the clients will get mad...grafician
- I miss the design chats on NT.Chimp
- Discord channelimbecile
But please be careful, learn more about Pantone Metallics before using them, they are very expensive to print, so mistakes are very costly!
IF you are using Ai - Illustrator - go to Window > Swatch Libraries > Color Books > Pantone+ Metallic Coated to access the colors, then use a Pantone Metallic book to match the colors on the screen.
You can "fake" the metallic effects using gradients to create mockups for the client, but for print you will just need to use the Pantone Metallic colors in Illustrator - they look just like the other colors, but the print house will know the color codes and use Metallics when printing...
If you want that metallic look, Pantone metallics is not the way to go. It’s ok, but not the look you see on the type of packaging you posted.
2 routes to go; Foil stamp, or foiled paper. I’ve done both ways and each has their strengths an weakness.
Always talk to your print broker - tell them exactly what you’re looking for and have them provide samples. Or show them what you want and get them to tell you what, and how much
Faux metallic look is cheesy, especially on stuff like skin-care. You can get away with it on goofy colored hair-dye for the gender warriors but not on high-end skin care products.
Even if you use the faux metallic you have to hit it with a spot gloss for it to even look good in a cheesy way
- Pantone Metallica have their place, but you’ll be disappointed if you’re looking for that foil lookGnash
- This. I’ve been chinscratching but metallic ink doesn’t give the highly reflective look in those mockups.MrT
- No, they don’t. They are much more subtle than one imagines they’re be. When clients request I use them I make sure that they understand that.Gnash
- Invariably, when I show them what it’ll actually look like it turns out they meant foil stamp. Not always, but enoughGnash
- foil stamp is cheap. You either go full metallic as a good print designer, or fake it with gradients, foil stamp and glossy paper...grafician
- Pantone metallics aren’t very ‘metallic’ if that’s what you’re going for. I’ve done tons of printing with specials, and each has their place.Gnash
- I’ll give you that foil stamp can look cheap if using cheap foils. Some foils are stunning - and expensiveGnash
- For example, you will never get even remotely close to this with Pantone metallics...Gnash
- Foils stamp isn’t just gold and silver, all sorts of colours and effects are availableGnash
- How on earth is foil stamping faking it?MrT
- How do I get in contact with you Gnash?canoe
- Like, directly?Gnash
What was this about foil? It doesn't look luxury, it looks cheap?
Foil or similar was my original thought - ya know - the actual textile - not the ink.
This moment is not like many other moments on QBN.
Whenever you read this, the list of topics on your left or at the bottom, are not design related.
If you're lucky you'll see one or two.
I wholeheartedly appreciate the camaraderie, but when did discussing design become sophomoric or boring or as some brilliant and interesting person on QBN called it - "wank".
For a Better Tomorrow - guys - remember that.
Remember that before you start mocking Jerry Stiller three days after he died. Before you start posting soft, hard or disgusting weird porn and stupid conspiracy stories.
Half of you don't even deserve to be here as far as your contribution to core topics like branding, graphic design, illustration, creativity, art direction, advertising and marketing.
Maybe I'm just waking up to the idea that QBN is on it's last leg, or maybe it's just me, or maybe it's you.
- the idea of what you were mooting, rather than just fucking doing it, was 'wank'. What do you want, a hug and a gentle push into the playground? Just do it.Nairn
- You're an odd one, canoe - up until about 6 months ago you were on my mental list of 'twats' but then you seemed to chill out a bit, but now again...?Nairn
- btw, you ended up with a decent design-based thread here, so I'm not sure what your point is.Nairn
- What do you think the Prev and Next button are used for then?robotron3k
- Deserve to be here? You drunk?dmay
- canoe, few here see value in community. most people find personal satisfaction in rude one liners. people live for the laughter of others, not respectimbecile
- @Nairn - thanks for the gentle push. @dmay - yah, QBN at it's core, was about the design, media, and advertising industry, remember?canoe
- I had a moment like this weeks back and made a "RIP QBN" thread.
Maybe we just old / jaded?
Maybe we're still relevant?!ideaist
- @canoe I remember that, but I never seen someone being called out for not deserving to be in here.dmay
- At least not for contribution in "core topics"dmay
- This thread took a weird swerve.webazoot
- @idea - gotta just be honest, QBN is not as inspired as it used to be - look Chick of the Day just got bumped up.canoe
- @dmay - it's kinda basic right? I mean if you're not contributing then why would contributors think you belong?canoe
- I'm not here just for the design related conversation, i'm here to be with people who share the same problems, goals, successes... And I can relate to themdmay
- because I'm in the same industry, not because we only talk about workdmay
- We're all commies that's why we're here, loli_was
Happy hour with Harry Mack and then boom - the last frame - with the sheen - smacking me in the face as I was smiling.
I guess in America, dudes are gonna be dudes, and in England, blokes are gonna be blokes.
Maybe I should fuck off (rightly). I get that and appreciate everything QBN has offered otherwise.
I do love the place without a wasted tear.