- Last post
- 5 Responses
Been trying for six months now, no sleep or food drink, can't take it any more.
How do I install fonts on Windows for use in Adobe software?
Really, I only need Helv & Helv Neue families for now. I have OTF files. Only a few ever install and from what I've read, OTF don't work well on Windows? Is there a different type of OTF for Windows and Mac?
Is there an absolute way of doing this, buying the typeface isn't an issue, I just need to kow it'll work. I've tried copying into the fonts folder and the adobe fonts folder / installing from the font file direct...the usual
Please help, so I can eat again.
It's very complicated on Windows, I'm afraid - you have to right-click on the font files and then select 'install'.
Terrible, I know.
funny. Doesn't work, as mentioned above
- You'll have to be more specific, because that's exactly-how you install fonts on Windows since ...vista?Nairn
- when I install them using the method you suggest, and other methods...18 fonts in the family, only perhaps 6 are available in sofware. All 18 can be seen in thecraigatkinson
- fonts folder, but only ever a few in progs, usually the 'light' and 'ultralights'craigatkinson
- That tells me that your fonts are fucked and/or hookie and/or not all sharing the same in-file Font Info/metaDataNairn
- definitely not hookiecraigatkinson
otf isn't a font format its a container for various font formats so your fonts are just dodgy... you probably got them from googling indexof/ helvetica neue or sthg like that. which means they've probably been converted from their original format to otf to work on web. if you buy them you'll get otf (which the publisher will make sure is compatible with windows and mac), ttf and whatever else.
- but tbh, has anyone ever bought helvetica. just try again with different dodgy fonts...kingsteven
- we bought it and it's 100% OTF opentype and they install perfectly on any computer Mac or PC without any errorsmonospaced
- We also have the full Pro family which is TTF and the same situation, works perfectly. Occassional conflict with the version in MacOS but that's it.monospaced
the fonts I've been trying (been trying before committing to windows, in which case will rebuy) are from indesign doc on mac, and converted. However, go to monotyoe site and they sell 'works on mac or pc', so if it works on both, why arent they working on both?
- "are from indesign doc on mac" - that's probably your problem right there, then.Nairn
- even after conversion?craigatkinson
- turns out lmgtfy has gone to shit
- ttc to otfcraigatkinson
- If conversion is Type 1 Mac to Windows then that's definitely the issue. Type 1 was an awful standard for cross-platform anything.evilpeacock
You need a bennsplanaition. He’s made the Mac-pc transition flawlessly.