- Last post
- 27 Responses
/\ LOL, seriously.
But (really) seriously if you have to lie on your c.v. you need to work harder, meet more people, practice your craft more, learn to sell yourself. Sure it's a political industry and often frustrating as hell, but what industry isn't?
Also, just a caution on the Toronto market, it's small so be careful and try to at least make your bullshit believable.
I do advertising and there's no need to lie.
If you have talent, you'll succeed.
If you want a lot of money. Don't go into advertising.
What are you trying to do?
There are a lot of crap "agencies" that come up with "strategy" and them produce poorly designed materials.
In my experience, people are generally impressed by famous clients you've worked with. So say you worked somewhere that had Microsoft as a client. Even if you didn't do anything good for them or just helped out the team making new Office icons, that will go further than your work designing a cool coffee shop. Unless you want to do more bars / coffee shops.
So just stretch the truth of your role at previous jobs and you'll be fine.
But don't lie about working a place you didn't or whatever.
The worst that could happen is that you're hired because of a skill or experience you lied about, and are then immediately expected to reproduce it. Has happened to someone I know and it did not turn out well.
how long have you been at it?
Do you want to be a bullshit artist?
- Well, no. I want to approach my work with genuine passion because that's what translates into good work.eighteen
- That being said I've just started a part-time contract in advertising, creating content for marketing. So i think bullshit should play a subtle role in my work.eighteen
- And then apply said bullshit to the marketing of my own work and qualifications.eighteen
- Step 1. Learn the rules.
Step 2. Break said rules.ideaist
- Do loads of cocaine. You'll be talking shite with the best of them by lunchtime. Concepts galore.PhanLo
- pay for soho house membership, hang out with the other successful workshy ad wankers, get the right connections.shapesalad
- @shapesalad I'm looking for a job what makes you think I can afford a $2000 club membership?eighteen
- lol, I will co-sign, soho house is a waste of your time and money. full stop, ain't what it used to be.ben_
Simple: Don't do it.