- Last post
- 12 Responses
What do you use?
I only have my Macbook and external backups. If there were a fire, I'd lose everything.
NextCloud on DreamHost
ftp and a cheap server.
Three google drive accounts = 45gb(15 + 15 + 15) of storage with a fairly easy sync app... to sync three drive accounts... three being the limit you can sync with the app.
some people use GitHub but it's Microsoft now isn't it?
Dropbox = 3TB @ $18/mo ?
Also buy an 8TB drive or two, back up things every month or two, store off-site...
- Dropbox at 18$/m for 3Tb ????Bennn
- i wouldn't use DB for backup. there are much cheaper (and slower) alternatives)Gnash
- i see its the business plan, you have to be a team to get that price..Bennn
- I keep intending to do the latter and keep them in our fire safe. Just lazy...mg33
- Put one in safe and a duplicate at <family-member>'s house for extra ocd backupprophetone
I've tried a few services and I always came back to Dropbox, this is the best one in my opinion.
- ALL my data is over there. Currently using 752GB of my 1TBBennn
- Used Dropbox for years just fine. Had Google Drive fail to sync changes which caused issues with client work. Dropbox has always synced, or handled errors well.evilpeacock
- ^^ exactly, had problems too with GoogleBennn
Because I am looking at options as well, found an article re options w/ better security than Dropbox:
The one service Snowden has promoted in the past is called SpiderOak.com which basically promises all the same features as Dropbox but with the added benefit of not having the ability to see what files are stored on its servers — claiming as they do a “zero knowledge cloud solution”.
Another option is Sync.com, a Canadian based service which calls itself “the most private, most secure cloud storage service on the planet!”. On top of a zero knowledge approach, passwords are never transmitted to Sync and the company does not store passwords or password hashes during account creation, or when you log in.
backblaze, $6 a month or so
10T $3.99- month
I need less than 1TB.