- Last post
- 10 Responses
Today, in “You come at the Emperor, you best not miss” news: Director Denis Villeneuve—whose recent sci-fi film credentials are pretty impeccable, given the critical response to Arrival and Blade Runner 2049—has taken some stabs at the massive, unstoppable Star Wars franchise. Talking to Fandom, Villeneuve painted the blockbuster space saga as inherently childish, saying his upcoming adaptation of Frank Herbert’s Dune intends to be “Star Wars for adults.”
Sounds promising -- he has a great track record so far.
He may be right, but this is another re-make of a cult film.
No doubt it'll be spectacular to look at. But for God sake come up with something new. For fucks sake.
- yep totally agree. this is a niche nergasm. surprised actually he's been given free reign again after his last nerdgasm flop.fadein11
- there just are not enough hardcore nerds to sustain 100-200 million budget movies.fadein11
- I don't dispute his talent but such a shame he doesn't write original screenplays.fadein11
- The original film is 30 years old, and the book is over 50. The opportunity is there to make it into something, to reach a new audience.face_melter
- How is it a remake? It's a new adaptation of the books.yuekit
- Yeah, writing Dune off as a 'niche film' is kind of weird give the mass popularity of the bookdetritus
- Hollywood is more about pie charts and profits then it has every been. It doesn't care about quality just mass.
There will not be any new franchises untilmugwart
- audience demands it but as the masses are just lapping up Marvel tshirts from primark - that day is long gone.mugwart
- breaks my heart and the reason I'm thinking to leave a 15+ year in film to find something else.mugwart
- @detritus - it's been made before and quite well at that. it's another fucking reboot. He has made 2 or 3 great films, mainly early ones imho. the big budgetfadein11
- genre/reboot shit isn't what he was about. He's in the wrong ra of filmmaking which is a shame.fadein11
- just give it to jodorowski...oey
- Arrival is a massively overrated film.fadein11
- jodorowski's a nasty cunt who should be left to history.detritus
- I loved Arrival but it was very Nolansince1979
- jodorowski was the reason why dune was so fucked to begin withmugwart
- there are far more mindless Hollywood trends to complain about (i.e. superheroes). Dune could be amazing done properly.inteliboy
- It’s not really a remake if it’s based on a book. Nobody can seriously say the existing film is really that great. I think they’re due for a new attempt.monospaced
- I’m a hardcore sci-fi fan, and while I do love the old Dune film, I never felt it hit the mark. With today’s talent and technology, it could be better!monospaced
- +1 for the above 3. I am lazy today.MrT
- I see it as an easy money maker for hollywood, nothing more nothing less. that's whats all about anyway.helloeatbreathedrive
- Easy? Yeah right. Anyway, you’re only saying it’s a good idea, and that people will pay to see it.monospaced
Was a it a cult film? Or was it a badly produced David Lynch fuck up that he somewhat regrets making? Let's make this film properly and give it the vision it deserves
He's not wrong. Star Wars is a messianic rehash for written for kids.
Yeah, but a lot of the charm of Star Wars is in it's childlike fun.
I’ll take it. The existing films aren’t great representations in the first place, and he’s probably got a good vision for it.
dune was, and still is, the tits