- Last post
- 6 Responses
1&1 is cheap and often comes with free privacy
Domain migration is something I've been wanting to do forever (i have 4 or 5 on godaddy that have been there for years) but it seems damn near impossible - which pisses me off more than the fact I'm still on godaddy.
Either way I'll look into Google domains ... while I don't trust the big G that much , GoDaddy is still terrible
I've been using Google domains for a few years ago now. Not sure how it's a trap. It's piss easy to use, and they hide all your WHOIS information for free (unlike most other hosts who charge).
For actual hosting, I use Google App Engine's free tier. For lots of sites (or large sites), I'd probably use Linode or Digital Ocean. But, for a portfolio site (or other small site), App Engine all day.
App Engine does require some technical ability, as it's not a one-click Wordpress kind of solution. But, the daily quotas for free hosting are quite large.
i can't shake the feeling that the $12 google deal is a trap
(I've spent all day trying to figure out how to use DreamObjects to upload the files for my websites. I already have a NextCloud + DreamObjects account but don't understand the Folder settings and there's no info...fuck!)
Spent a few hour checking Hosting in Germany but can't decide.
There's Hetzner...but I would prefer something else.
- < you are fucked.sted
- talk with me, what do you know?oey
- if you can't use sftp to access your files on a hosting you're fucked.sted
- or ftp.sted
- of course i canoey
- i've been using dreamhost for years but set up a nextcloud account and so far so good, except that i started to have doubts where to upload webpage contentoey
- if via sftp (what I've been using) to the server that allocates the domain or to a cloud service and link everything in the htmloey
- thing is i created folders in the dreamobjects panel that don't appear in the same folder in nexcloud but the reverse is possibleoey
- i can also upload files into dreamobjects via cyberduck or webftpoey
- i just think things are not so clear or clearly explained. forum is okay though. but very unclear that with the metadata of objects for exampleoey
2017: who are you using for domain registration?
I notice Google has $12 .coms including free Whois Privacy. Not bad. I'm considering moving my few dozen domains over there.
Is there anything better/cheaper on the market?