- Last post
- 21 Responses
What are we looking at?
one of the few I haven't read. not sure whether to see it or read it first.
i've not read the book, because I knew eventually somebody would read it to me in a film format I understand!
Seriously though, loved the film. So surreal at times.
Sounds slightly inspired by the Cabrini Green high rise projects in Chicago, built by the early 60s. The conditions became deplorable, and gangs were constantly battling between the buildings that they claimed as their own. They literally had snipers shooting at rivals from windows to other buildings and the ground level.
Those projects are long gone now. I think they were fully torn down by the mid 2000s.
Tried getting tickets to this at the Tribeca Film Festival.
Ended up being one of the first films to sell out...
Looks good-want to see it.
Had not heard of this...thanks
HOW are we 10 hours into this thread and the movie trailer has not been posted? That's some stone cold slacking going on guys. :D
Book looks interesting, i might start reading it soon. In fact, I'm intrigued by several of his books - seems like stuff I'd really like to read.
Everyone should read Ballard. He takes the apparently mundane and pedestrian - driving, apartment living, shopping etc. and almost immediately finds the cracks. He writes science fiction, in that it is fiction about science and how we are unwittingly in the grip of technology - be it cars or buildings - and how it fucks us because we allow it. And want it.
He points a light towards the things that are so obvious and large that they can't be seen. Things that are recognisable and utterly alien at the same time.
- and his autobiog was the basis of Empire of the Sun. Also worth a read - called Miracles of Lifefadein11
- Sorry book was Empire of the Sun also - but his Miracles of Life book is also excellent - about his life.fadein11
- that's a good analysis - well putFax_Benson
Thought the Portishead cover of Abba's SOS was outstanding.
- ha! nice 1.Bluejam
- yeah, it only appeared yesterday so I expect it to probably disappear sharpish. Fucking great bit of music.face_melter
- recorded on a phone in a cinema?Ianbolton
- But yeah, unbelievable track.Ianbolton
- far outinteliboy
- wish they would release it. only place you can hear it is in the filmBluejam
- not sure where it comes from. there's what sounds like a Japanese VO in the background - so maybe from a specific regional trailer?face_melter
- ^ the VO is in Russianscruffics
^ aaaaaaaand it's gone. what the fuck am i supposed to listen to on repeat now?!
Meh...watched it this weekend. Repetitive and self-indulgent. Loved the visuals but the story was lacking.
Made its point about 30 minutes in, then I fell asleep. Woke up, tried to watch the rest. Couldn't hold my attention.