- Last post
- 72 Responses
Ah cool - that makes more sense - perhaps my 'rock' comment came across as snarky, it was supposed to be bemused.
You start off with a budget, you build utilities infrastructure, lay out development zones and roads, set it to play then spend 4 months real time of your life tweaking taxes, layouts, balancing books and then waking up one day wondering what on Earth you've done with your life before installing it, swearing you'll never do that again.
Then, a decade later when the latest version comes out again and the pain and humiliation from your first bout is forgotten, you install it again, then waste a week playing with the thing for half an hour each night, more reaching the point where you ask yourself existential questions about purpose, hope and love.
@cbass, it's a game where you build a city by laying roads, zoning areas for residents, shops and industry, and you play mayor as you set taxes, build parks, and watch it grow... there's nothing quite like it
I have heard of it, even from some years ago..I just never played it and didn't know any details of the game or the objective. I know it's a virtual world, I was just curious as to what is so great about the game. Genuinely.
For instance, in Grand Theft Auto, someone posted a bunch of YouTube videos of funny stuff happening in the game..That's kind of what I was fishing for when I stated my original question.
cbass99's comment just made me think of the comments older members of my family would make when I was younger, trying to feign some kind of superior form of arrogant ignorance by claiming they had no knowledge of common cultural benchmarks.
Someone who works with computers and who is, presumably, under their mid 40s, claiming they've never heard of simcity does seem quite odd to me - it's like me claiming I've no idea who Justin Bieber is or who Take That were the generation before - sure, I've got fuck all interest in that end of the culturals pectrum, but I am a human with eyes and ears.
Would you think the same of someone who'd not heard of Mario or Tetris?
- not having a go at you, cbass99 - as I say, I'm just surprised.detritus
- No, i wouldn't think less of them.antagonlsta
- I never implied that i think 'lessee' of them - stop interjecting concepts I'm not creatingdetritus
- "How big is the rock you live under?" that's a positive statement of projection.antagonlsta
- well i guess since whinging about computer games on a forums is the total sum of your complaints in this universe.. well nevermind, i dont want to spoil the surprise.antagonlsta
- .. well nevermind, i dont want to spoil the surprise.antagonlsta
- Christ you're thick.detritus
- haha @yourmomshouse.com?
I think it's you who sits in the jackass end of the wit spectrum.detritus
- any more family issues want to bring up?antagonlsta
- Time to get back on that bong and pump up the illusion you have any relevance.detritus
i can't believe people cried over this as much as they did and still do.
First world really has lost touch. wait until someone you love gets an illness, see how much you care about simcity.
- you came in to this thread to whinge about this? You're on the same truck, man.detritus
- And yes, whinging about a computer game on a forum is the total sum of my complaint in the universe. Stupid.detritus
- it would seem you also have issues with people who don't follow vyda gaming.antagonlsta
- don't be an ass. you know you have bigger problems.antagonlsta
- Do you have the ability to read words and interpret them correctly?detritus
- you must think wit is equating to being an a jackass. ..antagonlsta
- Again,stop making things up - it was a genuine question, not an attempt at humour.detritus
- You appear to have serious interprative problems - stop reading what you want to read.detritus
- i dont think im the one with the issues. but then again i dont whine about computer gamesantagonlsta
- But you're ok whinging about whinging about computer games? That strikes me as being much higher-minded.detritus
- not, bitching, a reminder. i could care less if you have feels for vyda.antagonlsta
- ill let you have the last world since this little spat you're having inst of any interest. grew up, you're a child in a mans world.antagonlsta
- oh jesus - 'feels'? Really? Go back and browse kittens and Harry Potter memes on Reddit. ffs, I'm wasting my time here.detritus
- world. dont forget that,antagonlsta
- haha, Jesus. I'm guessing i'm probably twice your age if you're coming out with crap like that.detritus
I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with this game or how it works. Is it like a virtual world that you can just go around and buy stuff/talk to people?
- How big is the rock you live under?detritus
- really? because I don't play video games means I live under a rock? Was an honest qcbass99
- You don't need to play games to be aware of a world-renowned creative franchise that's existed for nearly 30 years.detritus
- 24 years and yes some people don't pay attention to video games. you OK with that?antagonlsta
- This is a thread about the game. If you don't know about it and have nothing to say, go away.monospaced
- its not like that. you build it from the ground up.akrok
Anybody still planning to buy this when the mac version is released?
I feel bad for everyone whose first experience with SimCity is this abomination.
- do you really care that much? for one, it's free and Two: it's a computer GAME.antagonlsta
- uh, why don't you look above and give detritus some shit?monospaced
- Look below - he did. He's just some stoner troll looking to try and browbeat someone...detritus
- ..sadly his own brow is more than a little cromagnon.detritus
- and no, I don't give a FUCK, this is a thread about SimCity, and this is just info about it, FFSmonospaced
it doesn't come across the way you're describing it.
Just because one city is producing more trash than i can take, doesn't mean it'll get dumped on me. I can only take x amount from another city using my truck(s). If they produce more than their neighbors can handle, it's on them. it won't hurt me. I only get paid for taking another cities waste, so to me it's a benefit.
That's exactly why I was asking about the time differences. If one city is growing at a rate several times faster than its neighbor, those available resources you're using from the neighbor would be in flux, and this would be exaggerated with the time difference. It's not like everyone's on the same "real-time" clock, everyone's changing the time separately. Oh well, I give up...
to answer the above... it matters.
if your fire dept is gone when there's a fire in your city... ooops
if your city is taking waste from another city, your dump fills up quick
and ground pollution fucking sucks
the cities don't need to be running simultaneously for services to be rendered from city to city. All the computer cares is if I have a dump in one city or not, fire service in one city or not and if they are connected, they can help each other.
I got the game and I its the best Simcity i've ever played! REALLY cool game. I only have one major negative point to highlight about this game and its the size of the cities... they are too small... you cover the entire zone pretty fast and you dont know where to build new stuff without destroying something else first. Let just hope they will release an update for larger cities. My PC is really powerful, i can easily handle way more stuff in there. come on EA!
- That will be 10$ a city block. Thanks, EA.lodef
- at this point, if EA tried to charge for game improvements they will feel the wrathmonospaced
- thats very true. i bet the CEO ousting was to pave the way towards a complete rethinking of the whole DLC thing.lodef
- that's part of the challenge, to rezone your area to help your city thrivealbums
I haven't actually played the game yet, but I've been following the news pretty closely since the launch, and one thing's been bugging me constantly and I'm not sure anyone's addressed it. Some help understanding this, please:
If the game is really "connected" to other cities and relies on them for an evolution (population, power, etc), that's fine. I think the concept is cool, but how the fuck does it actually work when say, one guy is running his city at Cheetah Speed for days while the guy in the neighboring city is running at slow speed, or even paused?
How can the cities be truly reliant on each other if they're moving at different paces and such? One guy might have a population boom before the other guy finishes zoning. If the always-online thing is necessary for an integrated experience, how integrated is it REALLY when people are working so separately and, for lack of a simpler term or concept, time traveling?