- Last post
- 2,587 Responses
"Apple Books TSMC’s Entire 5nm Production Capability"
"TSMC won’t have to worry about finding additional customers for its 5nm line any time soon. If reports are true, Apple bought the entire production capacity for the iPhone, iPad, and other refreshed devices it has recently launched or will launch in the coming weeks. Apple hasn’t refreshed the iPhone yet this year, but it’s expected to do so in October, and the company has had a lock on TSMC’s 5nm production for months.
TSMC will build 5nm chips for the iPhone 12, iPad Air, 5G iPad Pro, and any future MacBook or iMac systems Apple launches with its own custom ARM silicon. In 2019, Apple is thought to have accounted for about 20 percent of TSMC’s monthly revenue, making it one of TSMC’s largest customers."
Where is the iPhone 12?
Consumers who tuned in to Apple's signature early September event hoping to hear tantalizing details about the forthcoming iPhone 12 were treated instead to an hour-long infomercial detailing the company's latest Apple Watch models and a refreshed line of mid-range and low-cost iPads.
"UK-based computer chip designer ARM Holdings is being sold to the American graphics chip specialist Nvidia."
How will that play out for the ARM based chips Apple were due to switch over to? Seeing as Apple shunned Nvidia GPU's recently (and most annoyingly for those wanting to use Octane etc).
Biggest year ever for Apple ! So Exciting! It's all SO exciting! So many exciting new iThings! Incredibly proud with the NEW iApple $-mmaking products! Buy! Buy! BUY now!
- ...and that's not all!Krassy
- LMAO - I said "Buy! Buy! Buy!" out loud like a used car salesman who needs to move units might say.mg33
- Innovation at Apple fell asleep...their cheap plastic Chinese watch forgot how to tell time, they overslept...please forgive your God Apple fanboys!utopian
- ^ https://vignette.wik…inteliboy
- This offer will expire in 14:59moldero
- "Our BEST one yet!" no shit. one would hope your latest release is the best one yet.Krassy
- Watch & iPad; their it is.ideaist
- Master puppeteering. It's great how they've got the arm movements aligned with their exuberantly dry deliveries.SteveJobs
- Some amazing high quality motion work in that presentation at points.shapesalad
- flol at "close my rings"hans_glib
Apple event thingy today. Wondering if they'll drop an ARM Mac.
- I think Apple Watch "Pro", Apple Watch "SC", iPad Air (bezel-less - like ipad pro), maybe Airpods update as well as Apple Tile competitor...ideaist
- ...Would love to see an ARM MacBook Pro; albeit i know they'll release small (13"-ish)m first. Want me a 16" ARM that never heats up.
- 1st ARM mac is this year but I don't think on this eventernexbcn
- UK-based computer chip designer ARM Holdings is being sold to the American graphics chip specialist Nvidia.shapesalad
So next week's event is about Watch and iPad? I might consider getting a new iPad if they make it like the Pro (less bezels). Innovation never sleeps!
Wait so Apple TV+ is $4.99/month and includes about 25 tv shows of one season each, and.... checks Wikipedia .... THREE movies?
Who is paying for this?
- i've got a free year so not mehans_glib
- Most people got a free year. They also have way more than 3 movies.monospaced
- I got the freebie too, if there is no upturn in quality I’ll be cancelling a few days before I have to pay.Wolfboy
- Good news is you can pay $5 to watch the entire catalog in a month if you want. Pmonospaced
- I got a year free with my new computer, and didn't even sign up after seeing the lineup.section_014
- I was given a free year. Didn't even bother looking at it.Hayzilla
- Someone gave us their AmazonPrime login and I was surprised to see similar - half-uploaded series and all the interesting stuff to pay extra for. So.. why?Nairn
- ugh those cunts suddenly started charging for a series we had been watching for. so i cancelled prime. fuck 'emhans_glib
- Prime includes Free Expedited Shipping and a bunch of other services, though. Apple is just TV. I consider Prime Video a free bonus to Amazon Primenb
- Actually, two people have given us their Amazon Prime logins. I don't know what that suggests about the value of the service.
- Can’t filter by free on Apple TV iOS app. So weird?! I see three movies.nb
- I subscribed to a lot of channels on amazon before realizing i should just download them. Everything is on torrents nowadays... I canceled it all and filled 9TBscarabin
Apple Design Teams ( the same groups that work on devices such as the iPhone and iPad) Develop Special Face Masks for Employees
- iCovid iMaskKrassy
- anything just get the name into the news%sted
- iNovation Never SleepsKrassy
- Nah, I thik it's cool that Apple would do this.
If only they'd do it a fuckload more with their bakillions of dollars. How about sorting Nuclear Fusion, huh?Nairn
- masks prob manufactured in WuhanKrassy
- Innovation Never Coughsutopian
- lol you think this is just so they can get in the news? why are we pretending Apple is desperate for exposure?monospaced
- it would be great if you could just climb down from that high horse you're riding again.
- You think that was significant? Lol how naivemonospaced
Apple Care just called re my Mac. 2018 15" MBP etc...Which has already had the batter replaced due to it swelling.
They have no replaced, the battery again, the Touch Bar, antenna cable, keyboard, logic board, top case...
Our MacBook Air has also just returned from a faulty logic board replacement.
All 'free' and within Apple Care. Excellent service, although it took a while and a full day on the phone.
But...Why the hell do I even need to experience the apple care service? Why can't these things just be built to last rather than built to be fixed?
- battery, not batter. It's not deep fried, just a but fuckedcraigatkinson
- These are engineering feats. There are bound to be issues over time, especially with fab and assembly being work outsourced to offshore companies.SteveJobs
- Same with software. Guys with 20+ yrs experience will still write software with bugs. It's inevitable. Always have to factor human error in all aspects of life.SteveJobs
- every Mac I've had (7 of them) since 1999 has had a major fault.craigatkinson
- we've had a shit windows laptop that's perfect after 6 years, but slow.craigatkinson
- my sentiments exactly @craig - Apple - Not Even Once.helloeatbreathedrive
- Having said all that, I do agree. Should be more effort on iteratively making their machines and mobile devices better. Remember battery gate with the iphone 6?SteveJobs
- I always assumed macbooks had batter inside.dbloc
- the "top case" is now ONE fucking part, and it includes the battery, keyboard, logic, touch bar, etc. They had to replace that when my E key broke!monospaced
- It's quality stuff, but when one piece fails, it becomes a major repair. It's really not cool, and it actually costs them a lot.monospaced
- Should cut down on your vowels monocraigatkinson
So I've been noticing some strange behaviour lately with Mac OS (I'm on 10.15.6): I have my speakers connected via Bluetooth, music and audio from video pipes through, no problem.
System sounds — incoming mail notification, the Bin emptying sound, and all the rest — are now coming through on the MBP's speakers. Up until a few weeks ago, all those sounds would also pipe through my BT speakers.
What gives? Any way to change this?
- Ah, never mind. I found a setting in the Sounds section of the System Preferences.
That's just way too granular.Continuity
- sounds convenientmonospaced
- better that having a 150db mail ping interrupting your Brahmscraigatkinson
- exactly, craig ... so many times I'm listening to loud music just to have some system sound blast my ears out over the loudspeakers. Now I can turn that off.monospaced
- Ah, never mind. I found a setting in the Sounds section of the System Preferences.
Apple is continuing its efforts to force meal planner app Prepear to change its logo by expanding the fight beyond the United States, with the iPhone maker now going after the company's trademark filing in Canada.
- Leaf is the same shape. If they made the leaf a little more organic they'd get away with it.hotroddy
- the negative space in the leaf to be precise.hotroddy
- FUCK YOU APPLE!utopian
- pear is not an apple thoKrassy
- No fruit logos!instrmntl
- no fruit logos with 'apple' leafhotroddy
Just got made work from home permanently (I had heard it through the grapevine a few days back but I was sure that was code for getting fired). Bonus: they've also offered me a new top spec Mac Book Pro so I can still work in the office if/when required...
Just checked out the buyers guide and it's not a good time and, actually even difficult to get excited when the specs of the £5k model are shite compared to my hackintosh and even my current falling apart MBP is an early 2015 and has a better single-core speed.
All the talk is about the new apple silicon models in 2021, but they're now saying Q3 for a 16" MBP so that's not really an option (and not sure I want one of the early ones anyway) so I cant decide...
Are price reductions on intel models all we're going to see until the new processors arrive and I should bit the bullet and get the current top end model?
Potentially hold out for a faster Intel MBP later this year/ or better graphics than an 8 gig Radeon Pro 5600M?
- Get the new iMac in October. If they want you to work in the office occasionally. Take it in its box. IMHOHayzilla
- iMac looks great but I have a 32" 4k monitor on my hack so don't have the room for another 27"kingsteven
Grab a refurbished, mid-line 16" for now.ideaist
- Got my 2 y/o iMac just gathering dust on my desk in work ATM too. Trying to offload it to coworkers, I've had two in the current form and both had issues tbh.kingsteven
- To be clear, the new 16" MBP will run circles around your 2015 model. CPU single core speeds are all 4GHz + on the new models despite what you read.monospaced
- mono is correct, that MBP is a beastutopian
- For the price of a decent MBP you could get 50x Raspberry Pis.
Not sure if that helps here.Nairn
- hah, i'm all about the teensy boards these days nairn pi's are far too practical. checked out the CPU benchmarks properly and it is quite a jump!kingsteven
- 2256 passmark single core score for my 2.8ghz i7 quad, 2739 for the new 2.4ghz i9 8-core, higher boost speed too. actually not too far off my hackintosh!kingsteven
- i'm only concerned about single core speeds because im a lazy AF coder and planning on using it for the new logic pro :D keep the hack on win10 :)kingsteven
- Bow to your master and accept the mac They give u a lime a prom datedeathboy
- Just remember u work for the man of the capitalist system and are dependant upon itdeathboy
- But greeter than depending on govdeathboy
- once again, i work for a PRIVATE university deathboy, my team of 3 brings in 1m + a year in fees and we're the only dept with enrolments up next semester.kingsteven
- and im an anarchist, not a socialist - but i'll take it any day over any left or right free-market ideology based on capitalism as invisible hand of the market.kingsteven
- the single core speeds all turbo boost in to 4GHz or more with much better bandwidth and data handling than a 5 year old generation you're comparing tomonospaced
- fucking idiot deathboy, we're talking about Intel chips you moron, Apple doesn't make thosemonospaced
- ^ yeah i'm surprised as the geekbench score for the top end i9-9980HK as it has similar performance to the desktop version (i9-9900K) thats in my hack.kingsteven
- because my CPU fan is bigger than a macbook pro :Dkingsteven
- Dell XPS 17". It's gorgeous. Get a large screen with the money you save.formed
- ^ my dad has one, it's incredible. getting the macbook will allow me to keep my PC booted in windows, just need a mac for FCP and Logic :|kingsteven
Apple becomes Wall Street's first $2tn company
- they're talking about banning anything built with the unreal engine from their app store i'm thinking their ego is going to get the best of themmoldero
- 2 trillion is the GDP of Italy! I think they'll have a decent cushion before their ego gets the best of themBaskerviIle
- Does prior art mean nothing now?i_monk
- They are just patenting their own chaperone system, the Vive throws up a transparent wall if you go beyond the Roomscale perimeter.face_melter
- if this is your conclusion, then you are just admitting your misunderstanding of the patent system in generalmonospaced
- @mono please explainsted
- I did. They aren't trying to patent VR space. Even the article and patent you posted directly contradicts you in its title.monospaced
- hah, that article is full of assumptions
Read the patent abstract, and you will understand.sted
- oh, the article is full of assumptions, not you :)monospaced