- Last post
- 2,447 Responses
- That looks like it's in really good condition.
For free too? I'm a bit envious.Nairn
- It probably works better than their latest model.utopian
- haha totally free. Neighbor was about to toss it and I asked her if she was sure. I mean, it's a piece of computing history.GM278
- I power mine up every now and then. Fun timeGnash
- I'm going to set it up at the office for the designers to mess around with. I need to get a copy of the original Oregon Trail. :PGM278
- a keeper.umbee54
- Its like playing old Nintendo games, after 5 min you're going "well. its boring af"Bennn
- the plastic looks like it hasn't seen light, it's pristine!monospaced
- Somewhere I hear a SO saying "What have you dragged home this time?"garbage
- do some design work on it and post back on here!Krassy
- @garbage hahaha you'd be as surprised as I was to hear my GF was stoked and wants me to source a KidPix disk for her.GM278
- add a 4K display and report here :)api
- In a studio I used to work, a guy made one of these into a mini beer fridge (although it never seemed to get real cold)BustySaintClaire
- Time for some Dark Castle!!!jaylarson
- back in my younger days i worked with this machinerenderedred
- Load it up! https://www.macintos…evilpeacock
- I have some original rainbow stickers I could sell youemphor
- I learnt Aldus PageMaker on this. I was the coolest Desktop Publisher in my neighbourhood. TBH, it actually IS what set me on my path into print design.Luda
- haha... you just as bad as me at hoarding!necromation
- I'd pay some good money for 20 minutes of Mac Paint on that thing.nocomply
- That looks like it's in really good condition.
This is why Apple is starting to switch its Mac‘s to their ARM based AX CPU‘s this year and next years.
A14 chip could make the iPhone 12 as powerful as the 15-inch MacBook Pro: https://ww.9to5mac.com/2020/01/1…
- Phones are already too powerful for what we do with them... its just selling punch lines.. in the end, we scroll instagram and facebook with 18Gb of RAM ...Bennn
- Signs your getting old, BennnNBQ00
- Bennnnn. iOS is arguably the biggest gaming platform around. People use them as primary entertainment devices and more and more work too. No it’s not just web.monospaced
In case anyone is still having issues with the "play" keyboard button playing youtube tabbed videos instead of spotify (or whatever you're using for your music) you can disable chrome's playback entirely by navigating to here:
This will give you the option to disable hardware key playback completely, it's not a perfect solution but I find it a hell of a lot less annoying to deal with.
- Sweet. Whats the link mate?Hayzilla
- oh sorry it broke! the missing part is #hardware-media-key...zarkonite
- WTF -key-handlingzarkonite
- ok try to re-compose that in a coherent form and you're done =) shit gets truncated when I post it.zarkonite
- ^ Sorted thanks very muchHayzilla
- Marketcap $1.33 Trillion. Maybe first to get to $2 Trillion too.NBQ00
- if it hadn't split 7:1 a few years ago, it would be $2,100 a share I think, whoahmonospaced
- This is gonna handle a significant portion of my home down payment ... thanks Apple!monospaced
- ^ that's rad. how far back did you invest?inteliboy
- I got a bunch about 12 years ago when they released the iPhone. Lots of people said it would flop. It was about $20 a share then (adjusted). Earned about $20k.monospaced
- damn. well done. jealous!inteliboy
- Thanks, but it's just one of the big no-brainers in my opinion. My healthcare investments did almost as well, as did everyone else's.monospaced
- If I had just bought the FANG (Facebook, Apple, Netflix & Google), I'd be rich. We all are jealous of something :)monospaced
I would love to “edit Star Wars” on this puppy
- her channel is turning into an infomercial channel, all her videos are adsBennn
- Has always been. Hence her moniker “iJustine”NBQ00
- multitasking WAAAO ahahahsted
- looks like they finally got the level of hardware together what can manage multiple tasks using the same resources while keeping the os alive :Dsted
- Imagine how fast it would go if they use the better AMD CPUs + Nvidia GPUs.zarkonite
- not even close to as fast as it is with the GPUs it has and the afterburner addonmonospaced
- yeah i don't see anything beating this in power+build quality. it's a really robust hardware with just enough options to extend it's capabilitiessted
- what makes it last for a really long time in a production studio.sted
- Intel has been getting ripped to shreds by AMD for a while now, there's no contest their CPUs are faster. The afterburner card accelerates ProReszarkonite
- playback/render only. So yeah, it'll help but it's not going to do you any good for effects, CUDA is still the champ there.zarkonite
- Anything multi-threaded is way faster on AMD, the single-core operations are better on Intel because they have better clock speeds.zarkonite
- The gap is smaller with after effects/premiere: https://www.pugetsys…zarkonite
- (because Adobe products are not multi-threaded)zarkonite
- have you seen what the afterburner can do? it's crazymonospaced
- look at the vid i posted a few posts backmonospaced
Cheapest place to get iPhone 11 Pro?
Also, did you guys see that there's a rack mount Pro coming soon? I haven't seen a word about that until I saw it on the site in the configuration options.
Wonder if anyone has created a chart that maps out a "who-needs-what" or "this is overkill" configurations for the new Pro.
Like, I'd love to see how you'd rank things between the basic video producer on the left, and the massive big budget film studio on the right, with different configs in between.
- I bet many won't fully require 6 or more PCIe slots for expansion, which means the basic case is overkill already.evilpeacock
- Many won't, but there are many that will. That's kinda the point :)monospaced
- Toss in an MDX module, a pro audio interface card or two, a RAID card and any pro networking cards and it's not even close to overkill. It's the best there is.monospaced
- Oh, I'm game, but I know folks with old Mac Pro towers who never used more than two slots. I always end up maxing mine out.evilpeacock
- I run my computers for 5-10 years on average so slots to grow are great.evilpeacock
- Yeah, my dad had a Mac Pro. Used it to play a bridge game and run Quicken books. Like your friends, he didn't need the Mac Pro in the first place.monospaced
Bought a refurb. iPhone 8 for my daughter, is it normal to see the screen blurred depending the viewing angle? Like a grayish thing...
- I have the 8 and this doesn’t happen on mine. There are screen protectors/filters that restrict viewing angles but you would have noticed thatGnash
- Maybe the screen was replaced with a cheaper 3rd party one.monospaced
- was thinking the same, monoOBBTKN
- Yeah; cheap screen.
Same on my (old school) iPhone 6.
You get what you pay for.ideaist
Handling 16K footage like a boss with only one video card.
2019 Mac Pro Teardown. Spoiler Alert: it's terrible at grating cheese.
- Wow. Apple went way out of the way to make it super serviceable. Way more than is normal anywhere.monospaced
- It is impressive under the skin. Thankfully, most of us never have to open the case more than 1-2 times in a computer's life.formed
- "Way more than is normal anywhere." well, only if you ignore most PCs which use inter-swappable components and can be built by hand.Nairn
- ..but sure, by recent Apple standards, damn good.
This review also seems to imply the machine won't run with the case off, which is .. curious.Nairn
- @Nairn, I've built dozens and dozens of PCs over the decades. I'm talking about the single-screw simplicity and similar that they did INSTEAD of JUST swappablemonospaced
- components. Yes, building a PC is normal, but it's super hard or impossible to build one this slick with consumer parts! :)monospaced
- All I'm doing is reiterating iFixit's conclusion by the way. Even they said it was like a gift. Jeez.monospaced