- Last post
- 548 Responses
"Although scientists do not fully understand why glaciers appear to weaken volcanic eruptions, they believe the mechanics may be fairly straightforward. When glaciers expand, all that ice puts immense pressure on Earth’s surface. “It can affect magma flow and the voids and gaps in the Earth where magma flows to the surface as well as how much magma the crust can actually hold,” Swindles says. When glaciers retreat, the pressure lifts and volcanic activity surges. “After glaciers are removed the surface pressure decreases, and the magmas more easily propagate to the surface and thus erupt,” Swindles wrote in an e-mail to Scientific American."
"As for greenhouse gases, underwater and land-based volcanoes are estimated to release, in total, around 100–300 million tonnes of CO2 each year, according to the British Geological Survey and the US Geological Survey. That's a large quantity, but only around 1% of the amount that humans release from burning fossil fuel alone."
Dying polar bear roams iceless land for food
- more than likely an old/sick bear http://nationalpost.…_niko
- sad to see alpha predators die. unless you live in a town where they roam at night than you're like fuck yea not going to eat me on my way home.deathboy
- And now _actual_ experts in the area, and local Inuit say it's likely diseased as populations in immediate area are fine.ETM
- But I did say more info is needed, last time this was posted, as the group who took the photo initially is looking for donations and the publicity sure helps.ETM
- lol they filmed it in the summer and posted it now to gain notoriety. goo.gl/MYvBQf_niko
- this is the kind of fake news that makes dotard look like a genius, it's what got him elected and continues to have a huge influence on the great unwashed_niko
- 'replace typical car with hybrid'? I thought the sunk cost of a vehicle's manufacture far-outweighed its lifetime of emissions?detritus
- Thought as much. In the detail I assume: http://iopscience.io…PeterPancake
- The only ones of those I don't do are wash my clothes in a cold wash and upgrade to the new shitty lightbulbs. Fuck that shitset
- The impact of the world going vegan would be HUGE though, still.set
- Yeah, if everyone was vegan, then perhaps everyone would shut up about it.detritus
- Some certainly give the rest of them a bad name. Still, there are worse things to go on about than something that could literally help save the planetset
- and stop the suffering of billions of animals...set
- ..but yea, some of them are wankers.set
Governments throughout known western civilization have never been exactly been 'for the people'.
I get the need to cry out to them but the simple fact is they are corrupt or I in PC terms, financially influenced. Shock horror this isn't a new thing with Trump.
The only way out of this is if we, the people, take matters in our own hands. Stop eating mass farmed food. Defiantly stop eating cheap, poorly farmed food. Try and get everything direct, or as close as possible, direct from a responsible source.
Fact of the matter is majority of 'global warming' (if exist, yes I read both sides), is from the cheap meat industry. This isn't a vegan rant forcing you to "become vegan" (heaven forbid!) - I'm just saying buy your slaughtered corpse from some local farmer, one whom actually gives a shit and you can directly talk to ;-)
You also help the community by boycotting the supermarket cunts.
You also help to disable these greedy soulless pricks.
It's not easy but its also a lot of fun.
- this was response to the posts above.
Don't wait for the cure to happen to you - become it now. Fucking hate hippy quotes!mugwart
- Reality tv shows, social media, junk food, money, legal drugs...they don't want you to be awake.ApeRobot
- No they dont. We are meant to be a sleep and follow peer pressure. Disconnect, focus on your health and it will improve everyone around you.mugwart
- also I forgot to add the next part is to work out your truth. Follow that and you start to heal your mental states.mugwart
- said not in a nippy context!mugwart
- They've even masterfully manipulated it so that even talking about it is met with ridicule and people feel the need to make excuses like 'not in hippy context'set
- Love, self development, saving the planet... all the most important things... met with ridicule.set
- ... but hey if you want to talk about the football match or fucking America's got talent, game on...set
- The people that want to ridicule discussions about conspiracies, extraterrestrials, ancient technology, love of self, alternative healing, saving mother earth..set
- They'll die out like the dinosaurs eventuallyset
- "wind me up and let me go"set
- Nar nar I'm the same, but your preaching to the choir! I'm very esoteric with life but due to this public herding of people into categories I don't want to bemugwart
- lumped into the new age movement! Drives me up the wall!mugwart
- dont question authority or your a alt-right -conspiracist-mental... 'individual'mugwart
- wind me up and let me go as well ;-)mugwart
- The majority of emissions are not from the meat industry but livestock is a significant contributor. Cheapness isn't the issue but subsidised over productionlowimpakt
- Unfortunately people are sheep in a lot of ways. I think history shows that you need an enlightened minority leading the way.yuekit
- Waiting for everyone to wake up and take care for the environment, when all the incentives point in the other direction...you will be waiting a long time :/yuekit
- yeah I know ... but we are hear we are talking then the weight is on us to try the best we can.mugwart
- Lol as if 99% of downtrodden ordinary people can afford to feed themselves from source. Totally agree with the sentiments but in reality a fantasy. A fewfadein11
- enlightened individuals are not going to change anything. Change has to come from the top.fadein11
- The amount of nonsense the 'new age' movement has propagated puts the alt-right to shame. Their appropriation of quantum mechanics being a classic examplefadein11
- 1. People are sheeple and want to be lead. 2. No one cares what happens after they die. 3. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.rabattski
- Conclusion: the earth would be way better off without humans.rabattski
- yep and that's likely the natural conclusion.fadein11
- Planet Earth definitely seems to be caught in a timeloop currently. It's like people have forgotten the 60's and to a lesser degree the 80'sfadein11
- I see the time the same as just before Hitler was become fully into power...mugwart
- "have never been exactly been" ???i_was
- You can also stop using computers, planes etc... they harm the ecosystem and the planet.i_was
- You can also stop buying to the Chinesei_was
- I think we should keep buying to the chinese. BUY TO THE CHINESE..... and keep stealing to the rich and giving from the poor.set
- choose your fight and fight it! I avoid Amazon, which made hard to me as I can only buy from two supermarkets in london and whole foods one of them!mugwart
- and sorry i_was I'm dylexic and flu bound!
have never been exactly *for* the peoplemugwart
- its not so much boycott china in a trump sense but boycott slave driven products.mugwart
- yeah because they are paid so much as it is ...
been meaning to make the time to start to learn to make my own clothes. Fucking highstreetsmugwart
- I almost exclusively shop in charity shops these days. We're really lucky in Brighton though, you find some amazing stuffset
- ^ you said it well, you're lucky. Not everyone can do that and they are left with the same poor choices they make every day.Maaku
- You can try to convince your friends and neighbors to do these things but it is more effective if change comes from the top.Maaku
- We've been hearing about this and other global issues, health related problems, etc, etc...since the 70's and look where we are.Maaku
- Change will never come from the top if we allow the same people to remain at the top... Of course change comes from grass rootsset
- ^ thats because we are all waiting for change from above. It will only come when their finances look good to changemugwart
- or what set said!mugwart
- I can't see a revolution personally, people are too apathetic these days, if netflix gets cut off people may march. I think the current system will change whenfadein11
- it collapses not through grassroots movements. It's just too powerful.fadein11
- i think thats why we are being divided and pointed to argue at each other so much. if not i think everyone would be talking to each other moremugwart
- we are not being anything other than what we are. no need for superlative conspiracy, we, and that which we perceive, is a function of us. we are all idiots.detritus
- some luckier than others.detritus
- So when is the revolution? Can we do it on Saturday? Also I need to leave around 7pm. I have a date that night.pango
- I swipe right for my revolutions.detritus
- ^^ photos or it didnt happen!mugwart
- It's going to!!pango
- 7pm is good Pango, should all be done by 8pmfadein11
- Yep Amazon is horrible.i_was
- this was response to the posts above.
Donald Trump’s Disastrous Climate Change Policy Will Have Dire Consequences
Over the weekend, EPA director Scott Pruitt announced that he would be sending a proposal to Donald Trump to rescind Obama-era regulations on the coal industry. This is another long list of things that the Trump administration wants to end in protecting the environment, and part of his plan to leave the Paris Agreement earlier this year. Many believe that these regulations hurt the American economy, but the effects on the rest of the country are far more costly.
NASA Study: Mass Gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet Greater than Losses
A new NASA study says that an increase in Antarctic snow accumulation that began 10,000 years ago is currently adding enough ice to the continent to outweigh the increased losses from its thinning glaciers.
Second garbage patch the size of Texas discovered in Pacific Ocean
"Scientists on a recent six-month expedition have discovered the presence of a second garbage patch in the South Pacific, and are saying that the plastic vortex could be bigger than the state of Texas."
Map projects where climate change will kill the most people.
Climate change is projected to cause higher mortality in many parts of the United States, according to a new report published in the journal Science.
The country as a whole could see about 5.4 more deaths per 100,000 people for every degree Celsius the temperature rises. But the South is expected to be hardest hit, with many counties in Texas and Florida seeing 20 to 40 more deaths for every 100,000 residents by the end of the century.
- Ironic how Texas and Florida will be the first to go.formed
- ironic? no. more like telling.
- etc. etc.
- yes ironic, considering they've outlawed teaching actual science about the issue theremonospaced
- You mean global warming?Hayoth
- i feel globally warmer.ApeRobot
- so the north drives industry, the south suffers yet the south are the loudest climate change deniers. perfect lol._niko
- Isn't that map fairly close to where guns kiil most people, if you bump up the red in the northeast (Chicago, etc.)?BustySaintClaire
- also the areas most in need of universal healthcare, but it's loudest opponents. Retarded._niko