- Last post
- 559 Responses
This UN report is terrifying. I hope everyone reads this.
The amazing thing is with this unprecedented emergency we are facing, Americans chose this moment to elect a reality TV star who not only is not taking action, he treats the whole thing as a joke and says it's a hoax created by China.
Meanwhile Brazil is set to elect another right-wing asshole who wants to dramatically accelerate deforestation of the rainforest...one of the few things holding back climate change.
Sometimes I think humanity deserves to die in a giant, shitty Michael Bay-directed disaster movie action sequence.
- For Americans, that’s the same as a $240 per gallon tax on gasoline in the year 2100, should such a recommendation be adopted. In 2030, which is only 12 years adeathboy
- years away, the report says that the carbon tax would need to be as high as $5,500, and the equivalent to a $49 per gallon gas tax, reported The Daily Caller.deathboy
- I have no idea of how they got the numbers but it wouldn't strike me as true. The same with a UN report thinking they can stop climate change and make itdeathboy
- behave like a child strangled by economic control. Im neither for UN or future Brazil dictators as saviors. Let what work works. No kingsdeathboy
- Remove the EV credit so price is reality and tax EV that use roads but pay no road tax through the pump. Eco people like to pay fair share right?deathboy
- yuekit you can not deny the carbon eco tax system will hurt the poor and middle class the most. why wouldnt the richest want rules to protect themdeathboy
- that effect them with less effect. this is where free market value and virtue balances and should force the rich to look out for their futuredeathboy
- but they spend a few bucks on lobbyists and they turn the porn and ignorant into there pawns supporting causes they know nothing about for themdeathboy
- thats my 2 centsdeathboy
- wow howd poor turn to poor.... maybe subconcious accident thinking how many unemployed turning to cam modelsdeathboy
- Hey Deathboy - you know you can respond with a new post?Nairn
- Deathboy was that a response or a spoken word poetry slam?yuekit
- And the oceans are full of micro plastic particles beside all the chunks of plastic.shapesalad
- read about this in the times. really heavy and super important.sarahfailin
- These global catastrophes are gonna happen continuously and more frequently. Nothing to do with climate, it has been written.robthelad
- As ritteth in the odd destestement of the Horry Bibble?Nairn
- lol @ citing the Daily Caller for credibility. Fuck Tucker Carlson, the ghost of his bow tie, and anything he touches.garbage
- naim i really dont like to bump threads too much with posts. a little too look at me and really i dont care for any flag to look at what i type.deathboy
- @garbage lol on the source. I also laugh at CBO reports and most reports on the "future". They largely reflect their bias. But without a doubt the UN measuredeathboy
- will drastically increase the cost of energy. Directly effecting the poor and middle class most which will empower more socialist methods of control. if it wasdeathboy
- cheaper and a better solution for all, why would we need to force it if not true. just being played like pawnsdeathboy
Two motes of interest in this sphere, the first either inspires optimism or shear existential dread, the second lays to rest an idle fantasy I've entertained for years and puts into context our global CO2 emissions - ie. they are obscenely huge. I mean, I've been interested in science and climate change for decades now, and I still had little idea just how much shit we pump into the atmosphere each year.
- The first I thought up until recently was merely dreadful - the sheer weight of Petroleum to replace.. but then look at all that wasted energy.Nairn
- ..it points to massive efficiencies that could be gleaned by moving over to electricty for transport, etc. Planes are tricky though.Nairn
- *renewable electricty grid, even (teh nuculears included)Nairn
- inter-continental long-haul is going to be hard to replace but short domestic flights should really become unnecessary - if many aren't alreadyFax_Benson
that is made by the same guy that did this
"Although scientists do not fully understand why glaciers appear to weaken volcanic eruptions, they believe the mechanics may be fairly straightforward. When glaciers expand, all that ice puts immense pressure on Earth’s surface. “It can affect magma flow and the voids and gaps in the Earth where magma flows to the surface as well as how much magma the crust can actually hold,” Swindles says. When glaciers retreat, the pressure lifts and volcanic activity surges. “After glaciers are removed the surface pressure decreases, and the magmas more easily propagate to the surface and thus erupt,” Swindles wrote in an e-mail to Scientific American."
"As for greenhouse gases, underwater and land-based volcanoes are estimated to release, in total, around 100–300 million tonnes of CO2 each year, according to the British Geological Survey and the US Geological Survey. That's a large quantity, but only around 1% of the amount that humans release from burning fossil fuel alone."
Dying polar bear roams iceless land for food
- more than likely an old/sick bear http://nationalpost.…_niko
- sad to see alpha predators die. unless you live in a town where they roam at night than you're like fuck yea not going to eat me on my way home.deathboy
- And now _actual_ experts in the area, and local Inuit say it's likely diseased as populations in immediate area are fine.ETM
- But I did say more info is needed, last time this was posted, as the group who took the photo initially is looking for donations and the publicity sure helps.ETM
- lol they filmed it in the summer and posted it now to gain notoriety. goo.gl/MYvBQf_niko
- this is the kind of fake news that makes dotard look like a genius, it's what got him elected and continues to have a huge influence on the great unwashed_niko
- 'replace typical car with hybrid'? I thought the sunk cost of a vehicle's manufacture far-outweighed its lifetime of emissions?detritus
- Thought as much. In the detail I assume: http://iopscience.io…PeterPancake
- The only ones of those I don't do are wash my clothes in a cold wash and upgrade to the new shitty lightbulbs. Fuck that shitset
- The impact of the world going vegan would be HUGE though, still.set
- Yeah, if everyone was vegan, then perhaps everyone would shut up about it.detritus
- Some certainly give the rest of them a bad name. Still, there are worse things to go on about than something that could literally help save the planetset
- and stop the suffering of billions of animals...set
- ..but yea, some of them are wankers.set