- Last post
- 546 Responses
What was that about trying to put vegans as the example for environmentally conscious?
Do vegans don't own cars?
Do vegans don't use plastic of any kind?
Do vegans don't use mobile phones?
Do vegans don't do online shopping?
Do vegans don't use AC?
Showers, computers, glass recycling, reusable diapers, laundry. napkins, straws, paper, shower efficiently, buy second hand only, turn off lights, manual gardening, rechargeable batteries, paperless bank statements, etc
The list can go FOREVER, how did being vegan become the ideal for environmentally conscious?
- being vegan is a good start. if the whole world was veggie it would greatly reduce environmental damage, although maybe there would be more of a veggie shortagedocpoz
- why are people so threatened by vegans?BusterBoy
- research into it!mugwart
- Because raising animals for a food source is one of the biggest drains on energy with the least returns. I'm not Vegan but it makes sense.ben_
Are you implying that the environmental benefit of being vegan is a hoax? Or that the impact of being vegan is lesser than those on your list?soundofreason
- It's also totally feasible to be vegan and not use at least three items on your list.soundofreason
- Also, it should read:
Do vegans not own cars?
- so vegans must do ALL the things? I don't get this post.inteliboy
- Given we've killed off most of our megafauna, we need livestock to generate shit, so there's that at least, in favour of some meat or dairy consumption.Nairn
- ..unless, of course, environmentalism's ambition is the creation of vast swathes of soya monoculture.Nairn
- So many Americans get triggered by word Vegan. What a dull bunch.utopian
Talking about this with my finance today about "deniers" and "believers" - my take is in the irony of the moment is that the world is in such a way that even if there is no such thing about global warming making the correct stance will improve things no end.
I do get this sort of conspiracy to usher in something terrible, were we are in this point ant time and the lies exposed this has to be taken in as a possible.
Even the most hardened cynic must now admit that said cooperation are making beyond a healthy credit and they have not the best interests in humanity. Good summary here:
Whilst we argue about left and right both changing can help fix so much. So many of these issues can be improved/vapurated by avoiding giving money to these psychopathic cunts.
Stop buying anything that cuts down a rain forest, yes that means the the dairy/meat industry as its fucking barbaric, avoid plastics when necessary cause we don't need more shit, try going zero waste, make sure you stop buying clothes/items that were slave made. Go get second hand items, build communities, make sure Gardener has his vinyls, fucking smile and be kind to your fellow man/women etc. Stop putting faith in politics its a fucking joke left and right.
Something big is about to happen, 1000 meter waves or alien over lords or a Orwellian society but by being a fucking human being, we can get through this.
Not ranting I promise, just my thinking - we all are arguing for one right belief/answer but the joke is everyone has a belief system and its the most incredible thing (yes some people think the world is flat and yes that is silly) but it makes us whom we are as a whole and the interactions with people that make it interesting. Shit we have Terry Pratchett cause of this. Look at his influences. Tolkien the same. Winnie the fucking pooh, one man watching his kid play with teddies and is include in Buddhist texts and look at the positive effects for mental health exposure. All these people were being honest with their emotions.
The irony being we all are educated to think we should achieve only one 'correct one view' instead of accepting a million interesting slightly wonky ones.
Example I love the Corbett report, do I think he is a messiah, no. Right about everything no, right about some areas, spot on.
Yes this whole global warming thing might be fake, no it probably isn't - maybe its going to be okay - but until we all start fucking growing up and taking serious actions right or wrong we are fucked regardless.
If we are in a sinking ship how are you going to look into our kids eyes and tell them what you did in this moment.
Then again I'm a just a goth anarchist from Watford!
And I promise this block of black test isn't a rant.
It does seem that there's a distinction in most peoples' minds between the fossil fuel emissions / temperature rise issue and the wider issue of pollution in general.
The hardcore climate deniers can't and won't be won over with data. But the same people get properly narked if their local river is full of chemicals. As a demographic they're naturally inclined to be pro-animal (in a hunting kind of way), outdoor types. Big business fucking up the environment ought to be right up their political funnel.
These big UN-sponsored dossiers of doom may be designed to shock people into action but they seem to have the opposite effect on lots of people. It all fits too easily in to the liberal / green / conspiracy narrative. Maybe blurring the lines and localising the debate on to dying habitats and plastic chaos (in the news currently in the UK currently) is the way to get people on side.
from the report headline statements: http://report.ipcc.ch/sr15/pdf/s…
D5. Limiting the risks from global warming of 1.5°C in the context of sustainable development and poverty eradication
implies system transitions that can be enabled
by an increase of adaptation and mitigation investments,
policy instruments, the acceleration of technological innovation and behaviour changes.
well...it's not that they don't know what to do or how to do it.
it's about implementing the plan.
now how do you convince elected and non elected leaders of modern societies worldwide to root for it...
We are all pretty pissed off but I'm wondering what anyone here has actually done to help reduce the impact?
Most people here take the piss out of vegans etc.
I'm expecting down-votes and "whats one person going to do" or the "its governments responsibilities"
- I don't drive and I recycle everything I can obsessively. I do my best to avoid contributing, but you're right, not much any one person can "do."monospaced
- Don't drive, stop eating meat. If everyone did this it would go a huge way towards solving the problem.yuekit
- I drive one of my 3 vehicles to my job where we produce vinyl and other plastic products for the disposable smartphone industry.imbecile
- I don't drive, organised my life as locally as possible. try to keep hardware as long as possible. recycle waste. keep my consumption habits in check.uan
- that said, i recycle so much that there is half a bag of trash or less every week for the garbage manimbecile
- Sad fact that the "whole recycling thing" is a fraud. Barely nothing is getting recycling, 90% of recyclables are being thrown into landfills.utopian
- 90% may be high... https://www.nytimes.…imbecile
- we burn it here, generates (and pollutes) about 76kg C02 / MWh Heat ...population don't know about it, think recycling is clean.uan
- most of us are so fucking poor that we inadvertently contribute by our simple lifestyles alone... ... if you want any 'real' change it has to happen w/big bizPonyBoy
- I don't eat meat. Don't use plastic bags. Drink my own piss.set
- I pontificate on internet forums.Nairn
- Wait wait wait... hold up... Hold up. Someone just said "drink my own piss"...
- All us Brits do. Have done for years.
Why do you think you Yankeedoodles mock our teeth so?Nairn
- I mean... What for????!?!? Water shortage?!?!?pango
- That pic of set... Well, it's not beer he's drinkingsarahfailin
- Piss is the best tasting thing in this stinking country!mugwart
- surprised no one mentioned sourcing good food from farmers, avoiding supermarkets, boycotting certain shops/cooperation, never touching anything with palm oil.mugwart
- What's wrong with Palm oil?pango
- Palm oil production is a rape on the environment.monospaced
- Nothing's wrong with Palm Oil per se, other than the catastrophic clearing of old forests to sustain increased demand.Nairn
- Also, Orangutans..
- meanwhile druglords going solar:
- I'm happy with my carbon footprintdocpoz
- I stomp out the homeless on the reg. Keeps the population down.cannonball1978
- Like utopian said - recycling is a fraud in most places. Most areas are not equipped to properly separate waste for recycling properly....microkorg
- ... companies claiming recycling packaging can be a lie too. Coffee cups from outlets for example, it might say recyclable on the (paper) cup, but the inside...microkorg
- ... is lined with a plastic which in fact means it cannot be recycled with paper.microkorg
- Only drive my 18 year old year european stupidly small car when the bus drivers are on strike, like now... Eat food from local producers, included meat...OBBTKN
- Recycle everything, compost organic waste, try not to use plastics and follow a frugal way of life...OBBTKN
- But it's not a new fashion thing, me, my family and friends lived this way all the time, going vegan now on your 20, 30, 40's is just stupid...OBBTKN
- What kind of life have they lived until now? Meh!!OBBTKN
- Pango meet sarcasm. Sarcasm; Pango.set
- Ya I'm terrible with sarcasm.pango
- I do my part. I don't drive a car since most of my life (only briefly for 1 year). Live minimalist lifestyle, organic foods, little waste as possible.NBQ00
- I had a vegan pizza last nght.
- Fuck sake I'm dating a vegan and needed pizza while drunk at 1am last night. Vegan pizza at 1am is not a thing. Suffice to say, we went hungry.set
- Yeah, it led to me being way drunker than anticipated. I'd argue it almost made me less full than if I'd just drank more booze.Nairn
- ugh... I tried the vegan cheese option on our pizza the other night w/the wife... never fucking again indeedPonyBoy
- I've not flown for 10+ yearsRanger
- Oh and not had kidsRanger
- vegan cheese is amazing if you get the good stuff... dire if not. Taste of fucking oil.mugwart
- Sorry, no. I know someone who handcrafts very well respected stuff and it's still piss-poor compared to real cheese - even crappy American-style 'mozzarella'Nairn
- Whoever cracks the solution to synthetic/ man-made/ brewed/ vat-grown/ whatever cheese and eggs will make gajillions. We're nowhere near there yet.Nairn
- (I'm responding to your use of 'amazing' in this context, btw. I really wish there were simply even 'adequate' options).Nairn
- Also, I'm really not sure that oil imports from massive palm and coconut plantations are any better than grass-fed local UK dairy, in environmental terms.Nairn
- The value of animal shit on fields is vastly under-appreciated. One of the reasons Africa's in dire straits is because Whitey killed off so many elephants...Nairn
- Yep. Dairy free milk and ice cream alternatives are genuinely better than cow stuff now imo, but cheese isn't anywhere near there yetset
- seriously check this brand out: https://www.planetor…
They follow the conventional method just with cashew milk.mugwart
- your right about animals needed to shit on fields and about the oils. Vegans need to check the contents as much as everyone elsemugwart
- tnx for the sauceuan
- good read as a little common sensedeathboy
- id even go farther in looking at our data methods and very small amount of time and compare them to methods of measuring stock markets on small time framesdeathboy
- lets say u measure the dow jones for th last 100 years. and u establish a median over the time you probably be around 12000, or half of its current value.deathboy
- but reality and many man different variables adjust things and medians are safe assumptions but not reality.deathboy
- i think ppl are replacing god, hope and faith they use to find in church and scripture with data models and stats. its simply a new religiondeathboy
- why do people choose religion? hope in a better future. why do people choose to beleive data models or scripture they know nothing about. hope in a better futurdeathboy
- security vs freedom. world is very very simpledeathboy
This UN report is terrifying. I hope everyone reads this.
The amazing thing is with this unprecedented emergency we are facing, Americans chose this moment to elect a reality TV star who not only is not taking action, he treats the whole thing as a joke and says it's a hoax created by China.
Meanwhile Brazil is set to elect another right-wing asshole who wants to dramatically accelerate deforestation of the rainforest...one of the few things holding back climate change.
Sometimes I think humanity deserves to die in a giant, shitty Michael Bay-directed disaster movie action sequence.
- For Americans, that’s the same as a $240 per gallon tax on gasoline in the year 2100, should such a recommendation be adopted. In 2030, which is only 12 years adeathboy
- years away, the report says that the carbon tax would need to be as high as $5,500, and the equivalent to a $49 per gallon gas tax, reported The Daily Caller.deathboy
- I have no idea of how they got the numbers but it wouldn't strike me as true. The same with a UN report thinking they can stop climate change and make itdeathboy
- behave like a child strangled by economic control. Im neither for UN or future Brazil dictators as saviors. Let what work works. No kingsdeathboy
- Remove the EV credit so price is reality and tax EV that use roads but pay no road tax through the pump. Eco people like to pay fair share right?deathboy
- yuekit you can not deny the carbon eco tax system will hurt the poor and middle class the most. why wouldnt the richest want rules to protect themdeathboy
- that effect them with less effect. this is where free market value and virtue balances and should force the rich to look out for their futuredeathboy
- but they spend a few bucks on lobbyists and they turn the porn and ignorant into there pawns supporting causes they know nothing about for themdeathboy
- thats my 2 centsdeathboy
- wow howd poor turn to poor.... maybe subconcious accident thinking how many unemployed turning to cam modelsdeathboy
- Hey Deathboy - you know you can respond with a new post?Nairn
- Deathboy was that a response or a spoken word poetry slam?yuekit
- And the oceans are full of micro plastic particles beside all the chunks of plastic.shapesalad
- read about this in the times. really heavy and super important.sarahfailin
- These global catastrophes are gonna happen continuously and more frequently. Nothing to do with climate, it has been written.robthelad
- As ritteth in the odd destestement of the Horry Bibble?Nairn
- lol @ citing the Daily Caller for credibility. Fuck Tucker Carlson, the ghost of his bow tie, and anything he touches.garbage
- naim i really dont like to bump threads too much with posts. a little too look at me and really i dont care for any flag to look at what i type.deathboy
- @garbage lol on the source. I also laugh at CBO reports and most reports on the "future". They largely reflect their bias. But without a doubt the UN measuredeathboy
- will drastically increase the cost of energy. Directly effecting the poor and middle class most which will empower more socialist methods of control. if it wasdeathboy
- cheaper and a better solution for all, why would we need to force it if not true. just being played like pawnsdeathboy
Two motes of interest in this sphere, the first either inspires optimism or shear existential dread, the second lays to rest an idle fantasy I've entertained for years and puts into context our global CO2 emissions - ie. they are obscenely huge. I mean, I've been interested in science and climate change for decades now, and I still had little idea just how much shit we pump into the atmosphere each year.
- The first I thought up until recently was merely dreadful - the sheer weight of Petroleum to replace.. but then look at all that wasted energy.Nairn
- ..it points to massive efficiencies that could be gleaned by moving over to electricty for transport, etc. Planes are tricky though.Nairn
- *renewable electricty grid, even (teh nuculears included)Nairn
- inter-continental long-haul is going to be hard to replace but short domestic flights should really become unnecessary - if many aren't alreadyFax_Benson
that is made by the same guy that did this
"Although scientists do not fully understand why glaciers appear to weaken volcanic eruptions, they believe the mechanics may be fairly straightforward. When glaciers expand, all that ice puts immense pressure on Earth’s surface. “It can affect magma flow and the voids and gaps in the Earth where magma flows to the surface as well as how much magma the crust can actually hold,” Swindles says. When glaciers retreat, the pressure lifts and volcanic activity surges. “After glaciers are removed the surface pressure decreases, and the magmas more easily propagate to the surface and thus erupt,” Swindles wrote in an e-mail to Scientific American."
"As for greenhouse gases, underwater and land-based volcanoes are estimated to release, in total, around 100–300 million tonnes of CO2 each year, according to the British Geological Survey and the US Geological Survey. That's a large quantity, but only around 1% of the amount that humans release from burning fossil fuel alone."