- Last post
- 577 Responses
Nasa warned the Earth is trapping twice as much heat as in 2005 — a pace that's 'unprecedented'
NASA researchers warned the Earth is trapping heat at a rate so much higher it's "unprecedented."
The amount of heat being trapped by Earth has roughly doubled since 2005, the study found.
The NASA and NOAA study pointed to human activity and changes in the oceans.
Researchers from NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) found in a new study released earlier this week that Earth's "energy imbalance approximately doubled during the 14-year period from 2005 to 2019."
Humans suck even worse than we thought, study finds
If you’re a human — and if you’re not, how are you reading this? — you’ve probably come to terms with the fact that you’re part of the problem. Earth is headed toward a cliff and the overwhelming majority of very smart people who study our planet say it’s because we can’t stop messing things up. We fill the oceans with plastics, burn old dinosaurs to keep our houses warm and our cars moving, and change the landscape of entire continents, all while pretending our actions will be without consequences. Sigh.
While a lot of research has gone into revealing how dramatically we have messed the planet up with things like fossil fuel and pollution, new research suggests that our more recent habits are only a portion of the problem. Humans, it seems, have been severely stressing Earth out for up to 4,600 years, and perhaps even longer. The work, which was published this week in the journal Science, links dramatic changes in Earth’s vegetation with the same window of time in which human agriculture exploded.
When you learn about soil, you realise how delicate things are:
Collapseologists are warning humanity that business-as-usual will make the Earth uninhabitable.
Hundreds of scientists, writers and academics from 30 countries sounded a warning to humanity in an open letter published in the Guardian in December: Policymakers and the rest of us must “engage openly with the risk of disruption and even collapse of our societies.” “Damage to the climate and environment” will be the overarching cause, and “researchers in many areas” have projected widespread social collapse as “a credible scenario this century.”
Read today that we just passed the "point of no return" on global warming...
China and the US just need to stop doing anything. Like full stop.
The rest we need to curb cars. Not in like 30 years. Like next year, tops!
Sure, most of us just got 'till 2050-2060 to live anyway, but by 2100 Earth could be inhabitable around the Ecuator durring Summer and with full ice caps melted at the extreme North/South poles.
- Also this is not an alarmist message, this is happening, we can do nothing to undo it, we can just mitigate some of the effects, but that's about it.grafician
- Just wait, science will come up with something, defo going to happen.
Just kidding, we doooomed.PhanLo
- you'll get a lot more migration, no more happy times and peace, just stress and tensions from now on babygrafician
"'Sleeping giant' Arctic methane deposits starting to release, scientists find
Exclusive: expedition discovers new source of greenhouse gas off East Siberian coast has been triggered"
- global warming TRIGGERED!grafician
- This has the effect of half the China leaving their freezers open for a week...grafician
- Clathrate gun's going to fuck us all.Nairn
- working in Alaska the last 2 Salmon seasons, I haven't met 1 Alaskan that denies climate change & their mostly republicanmoldero
- Inhabitable planet in 20 years, can't waitgrafician
- And Musk wants to populate to Mars lolutopian