- Last post
- 46 Responses
- I thought Russia had to be listed as "Olympic Athletes from Russia"dbloc
- U S Ashellie
- i know no medals have been awarded yet but don't get the joke here.VectorMasked
- plenty have been awarded. The games started days ago.dbloc
- ^ Officially, none have been awarded.
- fake newsdbloc
- CaNaDa!! CaNaDa!!pango
this never gets old.
Dog meat soup for sale in shadow of Olympic stadium
"...despite pressure from animal rights groups - particularly from Western countries - Pyeongchang won't completely shelter Olympic visitors from the trade this month. Area restaurants were offered government aid if they stopped selling dog meat, but some declined to change their menus, fearing they'd spurn regular patrons and be left without customers once the tourists left town."
- a delicacydorf
- When I lived in Seoul a neighbour raised a puppy to eat. It's a different culture with different norms.i_monk
- Yes yes... and in India we'd all be assholes cuz we chow down on cows... on this subject I prefer 'western' culture: Love and care for these creatures only.PonyBoy
- *if they're cute.pango
- If it’s a normal thing I’d try it. I don’t know, but is dog commonplace? Is it like, hey guys, bi bim bap, some bbq, dog, or fried chicken for lunch today?monospaced
- American's should judge eating dogs when they are meat eaters themselves. It's total hypocracy.pinkfloyd
- so 'chow' down, buddy :)
Who's judging? I just don't want you eating my bestest lil fuzzy pal... who's a good boy? YES HE IS!. get the ball... GET IT!!PonyBoy
North Korean cheerleaders. Try not to cheerlead hard enough ..
- clone wars_niko
- When you’re more concerned with absolute conformity than leading cheers.MrT
- 24/7/365 of practice for the last 4 years.utopian
- Trump would love this.sofakingback
- Girl with the mask had the right idea. Fuck that. Fuck that, quick.detritus
- lah lah lal la la lah laaaaa.....shapesalad
- Poor girls, they still lost 0:8...Longcopylover
- The guy not putting in much of an effort. Not even clapping in sync. Zero Effs given.Krassy
- ^ dont worry Krassy he will be fed to the dogs on this return!mugwart
- ^ ha! unless he aint' chewable cause androidKrassy
I’m no Shaun White hater, but this sums up my general feelings on the guy, and I’m not alone in thinking this way
Shaun White: The Anthesis of Snowboarding.
Don’t get me wrong, he’s an incredible talent and always impressive. But he embodies everything snowboarding isn’t. And it bums me out because the Olympics are, for most Americans, the only exposure they have to snowboarding, for that brief day they see a little of the halfpipe competition interspersed with feel-good human interest stories. White is the only name they know, they get no exposure to 99% of the rest of the sport, including the camaraderie amongst pros in the mountains, the amazing skill of
free-riding, weekend warriors like us who love being with their friends and having a great day, the breathtaking scenery of resorts, big mountain riding, urban riding, etc. I can’t imagine how many people don’t even grasp that basic novice-level snowboarding is attainable to them because all the see is pipe riding that looks super complex and dangerous. I’d give any thing for Olympic snowboarding to evolve to include some form of big mountain or free ride competition.
White is an amazing rider and I’m excited to see him hopefully win again, but he’s an outcast if not somewhat of a pariah in the sport. He doesn’t hang with other pros (I’ve read as much several times in magazines over the years), he doesn’t film parts, he doesn’t just go out and cruise for the fun of it. It’s all business to him. I loved the movie First Descent because it took him out of his element into big mountains to learn from others and adapt his riding. But nothing like that since then, and that came out 13 years ago.
Lastly, I’ll take a stylish method over some lab-created robotic madman trick any day of the week.
- I had no idea he busted his face and needed 60+ stitches last summer. The footage is brutal!fooler
- Same could be said for skateboarding and the X-Games.section_014
- you can't blame him for that though, people that only know about him probably have no interest in sboarding, so if anything he is attracting eyes to theMiguex
- spectrum of the sport.
They guy is doing what he wants, it's up to the rest to look or not right?Miguex
- I think the pros hate him cause he was in Smurfs 2.BH26
- lol he was?
There is a current in sboarding that is against the "acrobatics" sort of thing, which took the spotlight, but who cares?Miguex
- I think vert is boring, slopestlye is the closest to what I enjoy but my favorite riders are not even participating, if you are not doing acrobaticsMiguex
- non- snowboarding crowds don't care enough to watch. I wonder if there is a similar sentiment with curling lolMiguex
- It would be great if the 'style' part of slopestyle scored higher. A massive, tweaked out 180 has as much or more style than a cork 11million or whatever.mandomafioso
- Case in point, whoever that was, Ben Ferguson maybe, who did the massive air to fakie in the pipe on his first hit. That shit was dope.mandomafioso
- It was the exact same with Tony and the 900 - "spectacle of" over the "substance of" the sport.ben_
"I’d give any thing for Olympic snowboarding to evolve to include some form of big mountain or free ride competition."
I’d say this already happened in the Snowboard Cross. Four competitors riding against each other down the hill - this is surely closer to the idea of friends having a good time together and to the casual observer far less technical.
I think it’s a better sport to watch for the newcomer to the sport. It’s exciting, you see people reacting to a situation and there’s a definite outcome rather than a set of subjective judges score for a series of tricks with ridiculous names that, certainly the first time you see them, all kind of look the same.
The Olympics are the pinnacle of sport so the events are never going to look like the kind of thing you could just go and be great at, but I’d say that Snowboard Cross is something that doesn’t feel out of reach for an amateur.
- is not, people that dont know about the sport want to see multi-flip, it takes time and involvement to appreciate no grab jumps or a stylish press on a littleMiguex
- box. It's like radio and music, some people are just happy with top40 hits and that's enough for them, others go hunt for more unique sounds.Miguex
- There are only so many places in the world big mtn riding competitions would even work. I think slopestyle is going to be the closest we're gonna get.mandomafioso