- Last post
- 3 Responses
We've bought a house that's a real project and needs a full refurb including electrics, gas, water, heating etc.
I'm keen on having a real "Smart Home" in terms of controlling heating and security.
We've had a Y-Cam ( https://www.y-cam.com/ ) Camera for a few years and fairly impressed with it. They've recently come out with a Home Security System too which looks pretty nice but no idea if its good or not and it's a lot to shell out.
Not sure about reaching out to local Alarm Companies as I'd imagine they are pretty far behind the times in terms of what they would supply and fit.
Anyone tried any of these 02 Smart Home / LOXONE / Cocoon / Oomi (US only at the moment I think) / NEOS / Hive / Devolo / ?
I'd leave it a few years.
- Yep...wait for the sea level to rise a little more and for it to get a bit warmer.see_thru
- 'smart meters' are already criticised for not saving any money (ie. Energy) over their lifetime, so I don't know how an additional more complex layer would ..detritus
- .. be if any more use environmentally over whatever existing infrastructure his house has now.detritus
- Like cars, if your eye is on energy and the environment, you're better off just sticking with old second hand tech.detritus
- Anyway, I more meant in relation to security, as I've read a lot of 'smart home' tech is ..er.. insecure.
IoT will be shit for years yet.detritus
I have the older Ethernet Y-Cam cameras and was tempted by their alarm system. But in the end went for a monitored ADT alarm. The homekit style ones at the moment are not linked to a response centre and won't alert the Police on alarm trigger (I think they just send a push notification and email/auto call you).
You can have with or without Police response.