- Last post
- 8 Responses
Stephen Hawking and a Russian billionaire want to send tiny, light-powered spacecraft to Alpha Centauri
This is a big deal! Exciting. But I seem to recall Hawking warning against such initiatives until we were sure we could handle a few spaceships showing up here for an intergalactic kegger...
I'm gonna celebrate the day when we send robots in space.
- We already did.detritus
- what? where? fully functioning robot with an AI to make decisions without any connection to earth? not just sensors and static sht?sted
- no, i just said 'robot'. what is 'life'? there's a vast spectrum there. 'robot' implies control, not necessarily AI. Right now, anyway :)detritus
So, basically, we're firing small-mass baryonic bullets of matter towards our nearest neighbours at fractional sub-relativistic speeds, with no way of stopping them?
FUCK YEAH, AMERICATERRRRRA!
I think humans should fire biological material to every direction possible out into the universe. Since we are going to fuck ourselves in this planet, we should at least give to life a chance in another place. It would be like a backup.
Contacting extraterrestrial life seems like the dumbest way to die for humanity, and a sure confirmation we are looking for one — especially considering some of our smartest people work on it.
We should be looking for ways of concealing our ratio imprint, not broadcasting invites.
That idiot scientist in Prometheus playing with that alien cobra thingy? That's us.
- would you not want to catch a glimpse of the alien mothership?hotroddy
- Sorry, a typo: I meant radio not ratio.
We should be flying in stealth mode.raf
- Yep, this is a terrible idea - same with intentional electromagnetic or photonic contact. There should be international consensus agreed before commencing.detritus
- This is a beyond a species level decision - christ, the responsibility of our entire biosphere would be at stake here.detritus
- What are the chances of advanced alien life forms not being hostile? Slim. If they made it thus far, it's likely cause they were ruthless, like us.raf
- alpha centauri is our next door neighbour. They would have annihilated us by now.hotroddy
It was my understanding that Stephen Hawking thought it was an extremely bad idea to contact alien life forms.
All for it, but it would take about 4.5 years for a signal or any data to reach back to Earth once there.
Assume you have 50 years left on this planet. Do you think something like this will happen in your time?
What's the point of going to A.C when aliens are already here, living at the bottom of the ocean,