- Last post
- 37 Responses
i might be a bit slow on the uptake on this, but what the fuck..
The ipad 1 is barely 2 years old and they are already taking it out of the update loop.
The price (literal & figurative) of progress brother...
...You cannot be surprised by this if you've been in the technology world for a while!
...waiting for the ability to install linux on it
they did the same with the original iphone (which i still use)
ipad 1 lol you poor?
- < lolpango
- no, but when its your 2 year old that uses it 80% of the time, it seems a bit pointless to upgrade for the retina displayautoflavour
- i am amazed how drool proof it isautoflavour
- hahahaha inteliboy. shit cracked me up.lvl_13
- i cracked up too even though im on the ipad1 as wellmoldero
takes the piss a bit, but it does turn out the iPad 1 was woefully underpowered compared to the two.
Make yourself feel better by seeing how many updates Samsung did to the galaxy tab before dropping it.
do you know what tho.. at the moment, being poor is actually working for me..
i dont know, working long hours and doing work that makes me feel like a sellout is not the solution.
yes every month we run out of cash.. and yes, i have no idea how i am going to fix my camera, and yes it would be nice to be able to visit new york..
but on the flip side i get to enjoy my time doing what i do.. i spend a lot of time with my family, i get to waste time talking to you idiots on qbn..
Its not like I have am poor by accident.. it was a choice to live a more limited life..
and to be honest, i dont really feel the word poor is an accurate representation. i have about 10k in music and video equiptment i would have to sell before i would feel comfortable calling myself poor.
hell, there are 4 computers between 2 people in this flat, not including the ipad and iphones
i think i just prioritize my spending differently
sure i would love to go and drop 200 euro a new pair sneakers.. but at the same time, if i had 200 euro, i would probably put in a pile and go buy another L series lens or something.
having no money sucks.. but having no time, that sucks way more.
- but surprisingly, we never really argue over money or the lack thereof ..autoflavour
- and when i say 4 computers, a 2012 macbook pro, 2011 macbook pro, 2010 27inch imac and a 2008 macbookautoflavour
- i have no money, but i have tools to make it.autoflavour
- working for other ppl kills the soul.ebertzjaw
and yep, i know that the ipad 1 is long in the tooth now.. i guess its just when its something which is still functioning totally fine, even tho its only 2 years old and spends most of its time playing fisher price apps and covered in banana and drool.. i would have hoped it had a bit more longevity software wise..
but yep, you are right.. its fucking apple..
hell, i am surprised that the iphone 4 is still being updated
dude you don't have to defend your life decisions on QBN.
i agree it's pretty shit that they're just throwing it by the wayside. what is everyone supposed to do with their OG ipads? just toss em in a landfill? FUCK YEA AMERICA JUST BUY MORE. shady.
It's not like it's going to be useless, iOS 5 is still pretty good, and you'll still use it like you've been using until now. It won't explode when iOS6 ships..
on the plus side, your maps app will be better for it
mate was joking. shit!
but yeah, it sucks. Consoles are updated and last a good 5+ years, these gadgets should do the same. Just the way of the world with phones and tablets (not just Apple, but it's easy to pick on them). Will start to improve now mobile cpu's & gpu's have matured a bit in the last few years...
It makes sense with the phones because when your contract ends every 2 years and you can re-subsidise a new one and sell your previous.
From the cost of these things I'd expect them to approach 60/70% of a laptop lifetime
So Mountain Lion runs on late 2007 Macbook Pros and Late 2008 Macbooks.
iPad 1 launch was mid 2010
is why this planet is fucked up,
- Oh come on, tablets are still very primitive tech compared with what they should be, they evolve quickly.raf
- has any other $400+ consumer tech evolved that fast before?animatedgif
- Consoles and computers have a very long lifecycle compared to this. The "early" ones even more soanimatedgif
- Old iPads or iPhones are not obsolete, they still work as they did.raf
It kinda sucks, but the original iPad isn't that powerful to begin with.
Same stuff is going on with the others, Windows Phones from not many months ago won't get Windows Phone 8. Android is even worse, updates are locked by the carriers and they don't fucking care about updating your phone. You can avoid this if you get the phone from Google but even some models aren't going to be updated to newer versions.
Have they promised to support the device with new systems for years? I don't think they did...
I don't see camera makers updating firmware to match the functionalities of new models, yet Apple does that. They gave the old iPad iOS 5 which btw, there is nothing wrong with.
iOS 6 main difference is Facebook integration, I'm sorry you won't get that button on your old iPad.
Here's what I do: I sell the old one when the new one's price settles (i.e. reaches refurb store). I sold iPad 1 and bought a larger capacity iPad 2, only adding €100—this is just about what extended warranty would cost.
Can't be bothered to read the whole thread.
My advice is to go and whine on QBN and hope that a few companies call you back and maybe go work for a company that you interned for.
If you receive more than one offer, don't take multiple jobs, keep some on their toes while you try and get your ideal one sorted.
Not sure this is any help as I've definitely not read the thread.
@raf actually the main issue is the low power processor + the evolving web.
Anyone who has used an iPhone 3G will have seen Google search get slower and slower as mobile JS engines got better. Google were only coding their search system for the latest JS engines and processors.
I mean really are we going to be expected to buy new tablets every 2 years? That makes them look like horrible value for money.
Even worse when a brand new tablet doesn't seem to be able to handle the web smoothly out of the box anyway. How ropey is that gonna be running in 2 years.
- Chill out, you don't have to buy a tablet. The one you have is as good as when you bought it, even better with updates.raf
- My gf has been using her first-gen iPhone for 4 years, looks and works perfect, even battery's still good.raf
- Something fishy about that vid. The Nexus does load content like that sometimes, but once loaded, it doesn't keep doing it.ETM
- haha both machines are showing "microsoft surface" at first!mekk