- Last post
- 172 Responses
Bit late to the party on this one.
Anyone else slightly awed by the potential of this kind of game concept?
Yep awesome game, must have spent about 40 hours in the past 6 weeks on it.
heh, I think I'd rather not admit just how much time I've spent in there since I bought it the other week. Suffice to say, I've been doing a lot more of my daily work in the evenings recently.
I think the following page has a good descriptor of what Minecraft is all about.. http://minecraftporn.com/09/what…
It can "best be described as an autism simulator".
I just can't help but feel it's the shift towards a much deeper (scuse the pun) and long-overdue way of looking at environments in games. These kind of environments are exactly what multi-core processors should be doing with their time - fuck trying to eke every last explosive particle from the graphics processor - spend time instead calculating what knock-on effects happen between different 'pixel' type encounters.
Make the world itself engaging, not the veneer cladding it.
"Make the world itself engaging, not the veneer cladding it."
Exactly, see also Dwarf Fortress which although much weaker graphically it also randomly generates a world. Although the Dwarf Fortress world is an entire planet with erosion/rivers/glaciers/mountain... towers/huge caves/lava seas then it plays out a few thousand years of war and history before you even start playing.
Ridiculously in depth game, it models an entire world and the 4 seasons (lakes freeze over if the region is cold enough) but then even goes as deep to model how many teeth your dwarf has, what their left sock is made out of and how they feel about their pet cat drowning in the well.
sitting in the crowd with minecraft....
for this reason
- haha, it was this and the 16-bit ALU vid that made me finally 'cave in' and buy it. Love his reaction in this.detritus
- This was so brilliantPIZZA
- ahh bless himHAYZ1LLA
I've only read about this .. sounds like it's really worth playing. I haven't played computer games seriously since having a Super Nintendo .. maybe I'll give it a go.
- is it a network game?lukus_W
- It has single and multi, multi isn't 100% finished at the moment so features are missing. The game is in Alpha stillPIZZA
- I like the idea of having yr plot and being able to encounter people who have their own empires .. that would be neat.lukus_W
- Maybe in a few months, it's still early days for the online partPIZZA
i too stumbled on this game recently and love the creative aspect and the exploration of huge maps. Also, my kid has been on a lego kick of late and this is cool compliment to that.
Why should I be impressed with this game?
So you just build stuff?
- I'm trying to impress anyone with it - try it and see, if you don't like it then cool. It's a hard concept to sell (...)detritus
- (...) as for big chunks of the 'game' you're not actually doing very much. It's a weird one, I appreciate.detritus
- oh - haha - "I'm NOT trying to impress anyone with it".
this explains a bit much
So i'm at the point where i've mined a bit of everything. I find some diamond, turn it into a pick axe and use up the whole axe, digging to find more diamond! Starting to design my house... Is there anything more in the game to do?
the video elektro posted looks like fun. im thinking about buying it, Do you HAVE to install java run time to play?
i am confuse
i'm buying the game
this game looks crazy. deceptive.
looks very simple but then i see some vids and it appears to have quite a lot of depth.
Can you play together online? cant other users destroy your creations?
looks very interesting...a nice change from all the realistic FPS/sandbox games with see about :P
Tofslie, how do we play on that server??