News of the day...
- Last post
- 3,368 Responses
Two things I really want to try - White Castle Sliders (plural, as I understand it) and an Impossible Burger.
Damn you, America!
- Don't buy the hype on the Impossible burger. I was a vegetarian for 6-7 years, so I've had just about every fake burger on the planet..garbage
- ..recently tried an Impossible burger and was seriously disappointing.garbage
- White Castle is worth trying once just to know what it’s about. And yes, you’ll need at least 6 if those little guys.monospaced
- @garbage - I'm not 'buying the hype' - just v. interested in meat replacement ingredients. I've read enough to know it's not perfect, but it's a start!detritus
- I think cultured meat's a long way off - even the shittiest of mince needs a complex and hard to synthesise mix of muscle protein and fats, 'impossible' nowdetritus
- Cows eat grass to feed the bacteria in their stomachs. It's the bacteria that the cows eat. Can't wait for pure protein bacteria burgers.shapesalad
- @mono - I have no doubt it's terrible, but it's a significant bullet point on my ever-planned 'fast food map' of America that I intend to embark upon sometimedetritus
- Weirdly-enough, that's the exact-same sentiment I shared on ars' comments earlier, shapesalad :)detritus
- In relation to cows, I mean. 'pure protein' isn't what you're after if you want a meat replacement. Fat, as I understand it, is very hard to replicate.detritus
- ..so too decent 'chewy' muscle protein. Meat vats of the future will need some sort of stimulation to form muscles of some kind.detritus
- you can already get pure protein powder, making fake meat is way more complex than that.zarkonite
- @det If you're putting American fast food on your list, you can aim much higher than White Castle.garbage
- The only thing that's not on my list is chitlins.detritus
- i had an impossible recently, was pretty impressedscarabin
- lol @ chitlinsgarbage
- I’m allergic to seafood, the exception is the delicious White Castle fried clam strips. I love it. Plus,I always have a box’ frozen White Castles in the freezerSoulFly
- it’s my #1 go to midnight snackSoulFly
- Clam strips? I just threw up on my phone.garbage